Home

Playing this game online is....

This is a discussion on Playing this game online is.... within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2004, 02:55 PM   #33
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Playing this game online is....

Quote:
Originally Posted by feeq14
The bottom line of this man is that playing these types of games is not fun. I dont play online because i got a handful of boys around and alot of them do the same Cheesey crap thay you have been advocateing. You lack what i call game ethics. A guy with game ethics doesn't take advantage of in game flaws for the sole purpose of winning, at the expense of actual fun gameplay

Ill put it like this, you are the type of player that can have fun playing a game where all you had to do is press one button as long as you win. Think about it a game like espn or madden has 32 teams 32 differet playbooks a thousand different players but you lames stick with the teams with the best ability to cheese, and you run 4-5 plays that work all the time. Its boring after 5 minutes to the average game player, but you guys only care about winning your brains havent developed far enough to even contemplate the boredom of running 5 plays all game with the same team every time pressing the same button.

most of us dont find that fun. I dont like manually spying the qb every play, i dont like kowing what a player is going to do every other play, yea i can stop it but there is no fun in that.

Bashing me is fruitless i thought you can offer me an informative opinion instead you question my ethics and intelligence?

Actually i use the 49ers and if you know who we lost last year and our ratings on videogames its very hard to run these so called "cheezy plays" that you guys complain about all the time. Let me digress though. Your right i only care about winning as do coaches in the nfl in which people here seem to emulate. You guys seem to be hypocritical you want a "real" nfl and you also want to have fun. Thats water and oil they dont mix. Real Nfl coaches do whats neccessary in order for there teams to win instead of having "fun" with your opponent in seeing who can run the most variety of plays at any given moment in a game. It would be easier for you guyd to say "im playing for fun and dont care about winning as long as im smiling at the end" well in that case good for you guys have "fun" while i concentrate on winning something every coach on the nfl focuses more on the most.
@ "game ethics" i spend money on games im going to play however i want to play point blank period. Just like you buy a car you customize it any way you like because thats "your car" your not gonna listen to what other people tell you to do with it correct?????

GOOD DAY
Old 08-23-2004, 03:10 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by jplaya2023
u woudlnt have to worry about that i only play madden i just found it interesting in the amount of whining people do about how other people play the game as well.

If u wanna look me up in madden im currently playing under testname305

http://www.easports.com/games/madden...ver=madden2005

im 6-2 with 0 disconnects and a ok REP
If you only play Madden what the hell are you doing in here, other than trying to provoke people?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:13 PM   #35
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfen
If you only play Madden what the hell are you doing in here, other than trying to provoke people?

I play both games "sir" i just happen to like Madden better and i offered my opinion about online games in general
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2004, 03:21 PM   #36
Rookie

OVR: 1

I can't take any argument you make seriously if in one post you say you "only play madden", and now it's, "i play both.."

Which is it?

As to the general comments about online, I think it's most definitely cheese. I usually only play people I know, who don't play like they need to exploit the game to the point of ridiculousness.If you want to play like that then by all means do so, but don't think for one second that you'll get any respect out of it.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:40 PM   #37
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wulfen
I can't take any argument you make seriously if in one post you say you "only play madden", and now it's, "i play both.."

Which is it?

As to the general comments about online, I think it's most definitely cheese. I usually only play people I know, who don't play like they need to exploit the game to the point of ridiculousness.If you want to play like that then by all means do so, but don't think for one second that you'll get any respect out of it.

Sorry if i wasnt clear i played ESPN when it came out before madden. But when Madden came out now i only play that. Sorry for not making myself clear. What does respect have to do with it??? Do you think someone playing online cares if u respect them or not Much less in the NFL guys hate eachother out there im sure there's no love loss among the coaches who call the plays so whey should there be love loss maongst those hwo play online?
Old 08-23-2004, 03:46 PM   #38
**t *f y**r *l*m*nt D*nny

Bacardi151's Arena

OVR: 19

Quote:
Bashing me is fruitless i thought you can offer me an informative opinion instead you question my ethics and intelligence?

Actually i use the 49ers and if you know who we lost last year and our ratings on videogames its very hard to run these so called "cheezy plays" that you guys complain about all the time. Let me digress though. Your right i only care about winning as do coaches in the nfl in which people here seem to emulate. You guys seem to be hypocritical you want a "real" nfl and you also want to have fun. Thats water and oil they dont mix. Real Nfl coaches do whats neccessary in order for there teams to win instead of having "fun" with your opponent in seeing who can run the most variety of plays at any given moment in a game. It would be easier for you guyd to say "im playing for fun and dont care about winning as long as im smiling at the end" well in that case good for you guys have "fun" while i concentrate on winning something every coach on the nfl focuses more on the most.
@ "game ethics" i spend money on games im going to play however i want to play point blank period. Just like you buy a car you customize it any way you like because thats "your car" your not gonna listen to what other people tell you to do with it correct?????

GOOD DAY
You car analogy is flawed simply because the way you mod your car does not affect anyone(other than maybe a loved one who has to ride in it).

Alot of people want to have a representation of football when they play online. Since no jobs are on the line ( as in the real nfl and the coaches whos lifeline hangs with their win-loss ratio), people expect to play a representation of the game. Videogame AI has not come far enough to handle these "exploits" that are used. Sure you can use them, but you have basically turned the game into what its not supposed to be, a "who gets the ball last to throw a quick slant into the endzone" type game. We've been through that in the early 90's.

Think of it as house rules, but on a grander scale. If all you care about is winning and if you found a bug which allowed your qb to rush to the endzone without being touched ( or being tackled but not falling whatever) and continued playing, what fun is that? you have smashed any realism that someone seeks just to get another w under your belt;

as you can see, there are 2 camps. Those who want to play, and want to win and get a sense of accomplishment being a pseudo coach-player-team and getting that win; then there are those who want to win by as many points as possible with any means possible, even if thats exploiting known issues with the games programming.

Logic dictates the AI should adjust, cause hell, in the nfl, teams adjust. but it cant, and thats the thing people try to eliminate from the game in order to make it as virtually real as possible. The inability to stop a known exploit or money play.

I forgot the last time i played a random game of anything. Its my group here at OS, or a few other groups i am with, and thats it.

Last edited by Bacardi151; 08-23-2004 at 03:49 PM.
Old 08-23-2004, 03:55 PM   #39
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bacardi151
You car analogy is flawed simply because the way you mod your car does not affect anyone(other than maybe a loved one who has to ride in it).

Alot of people want to have a representation of football when they play online. Since no jobs are on the line ( as in the real nfl and the coaches whos lifeline hangs with their win-loss ratio), people expect to play a representation of the game. Videogame AI has not come far enough to handle these "exploits" that are used. Sure you can use them, but you have basically turned the game into what its not supposed to be, a "who gets the ball last to throw a quick slant into the endzone" type game. We've been through that in the early 90's.

Think of it as house rules, but on a grander scale. If all you care about is winning and if you found a bug which allowed your qb to rush to the endzone without being touched ( or being tackled but not falling whatever) and continued playing, what fun is that? you have smashed any realism that someone seeks just to get another w under your belt;

as you can see, there are 2 camps. Those who want to play, and want to win and get a sense of accomplishment being a pseudo coach-player-team and getting that win; then there are those who want to win by as many points as possible with any means possible, even if thats exploiting known issues with the games programming.

Logic dictates the AI should adjust, cause hell, in the nfl, teams adjust. but it cant, and thats the thing people try to eliminate from the game in order to make it as virtually real as possible. The inability to stop a known exploit or money play.

I forgot the last time i played a random game of anything. Its my group here at OS, or a few other groups i am with, and thats it.
Well Said

i can respect someone who offers an different but yet informative opinion about playing online a certain without bashing me. I understand everything you said about the house rules and how there are 2 different kinds of camps of who play online. I guess im the camp that goes with winning at every cost, but i dont consider it cheesing IMO i consider it doing whatever it is that allows a person to be the victor.

Your post was a very good one and by my estimations you are problably regarded very high as a good poster so for that i thankyou kind sir for your informative opinion
Old 08-23-2004, 05:05 PM   #40
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
THIS IS A VIDEOGAME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

you play videogames on videogames, if you wanna play football i suggest going outside and practicing with your local NFL team for Pete sake

YOU CANNOT SIMULATE A REAL FOOTBALL GAME ON A VIDEO GAME SYSTEM
I've already spent my time playing real football, more time than most people actually. It's simply not an option now, so I get my games in online.

Bottomline, I'd rather play against people who try to keep things somewhere near reality. Playing the win at all cost guys, or the explioters is not fun, so I choose not to do so. My XBL friends list is literally full (as in I can't add any more people) of players who play for fun, and play straight up. That's all I can ask for. I don't have the time nor the patience to deal with the Cheddar online that is dealt out by the average cheeser.

This is not only an issue here, but there is the same sentiement whether you go to Maddenmania, Maddenplanet, NFL2kx, and you won't find any more serious football gamers anywhere than you will find at those places.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football »