Home

Daflyboys' preview roster * Take 2

This is a discussion on Daflyboys' preview roster * Take 2 within the ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-08-2007, 02:54 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 15
Re: Daflyboys' preview roster * Take 2

Hey Daflyboys.....

Just going through your roster in Finn's editor and looking through a few of the teams that I like. Noticed a few things about the Eagles -

C Jamaal Jackson is missing the second "a" in his name, should be listed as a 5 year pro and in case you dont know, his full name is listed in the PBP as is his photo. He's in the game disc so you dont have to "edit" him.

K Dirk Johnson was released in favor of rookie Sac Rocca. Yeah, im pissed off about that as well.

You're missing RB Ryan Moats and I know that he's on IR but he could be used to fill the roster. Also missing is C Jon Dorenbos who should be the third center and is their Long Snapper.
Old 09-08-2007, 03:54 PM   #10
Vin
All-Star

Vin's Arena

OVR: 2

ok... so after 16 mins of a game (2 8min quarters) I have a few thoughts...
CBs are studs against the run, but look like village idiots (running around, flailing) whenever the ball is in the air...
Defensive lineman are worthless against the run...
I seem to be able to max-pass around any coverage...

I know you're trying to make it an offensive heavy game, and I respect/appreciate that... but theres a better way to go about it... I'm a big animations guy and it really pissed me off when the CPU catches a three yard pass and takes it all the way because my corner jumps 6 feet in the wrong direction when the pass is thrown...

I'll toy with it for a while, but I can already tell ya the reason for your "stupid" corners isnt so much the low coverage rating as it is the 0 Agg rating...

Last edited by Vin; 09-08-2007 at 04:48 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 04:24 PM   #11
MVP

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswitzer
What do you mean by blatant errors? Wrong roster number? Wrong position? Missing players?

'cause theres so many...
how about cutting him some slack? remember, he's trying to make a roster that PLAYS differently first & foremost. there are ~1700 active players in the NFL & guys are signed from & designated to practice squads daily. sure, everyone knows "their team" to a T & a prob handful of others too, but try to get 32 diff 53-man rosters accurate to the letter while also trying to dramatically change the game play. it's a veeeerry time consuming process--- 100s & 100s of hours.

Daflyboys just said that OVR ratings won't be what we're used to seeing b/c of the gameplay changes... so why even comment on them?

Ensuing rant; note that this isn't directed @ any one Skins' fan but more to the masses who have PMd me the last year & half w/ ratings suggestions. Mike Sellers should be better? yes, i know he did have a 7 TD spurt a couple years ago but the guy has less career carries than some RBs get in a half. Do you want to see every FB in the game rated in the 80s. What Skins' back is stepping up in '07? Honestly, there are only so many TDs to go around on ANY offense... Cooley, Sellars, Betts-- the way some guys talk I should literally expect those guys to combine for 45 TDs in '07 on top of Portis getting back to 1500 yds & 15 more of his own. Things I've heard: "Cooley should be a 90, his over/under is @ 15 TDs this year," "Moss should be a 97 he just had an off year w/ a QB situation," "Campbell is going to be amazing," "Portis was hurt," etc etc. So, is your QB situation hurting your receivers or is he the next Doug Williams? One or the other... can't be both. If Gibbs is a HOFer, Gregg Williams is a genius/creative blitzer, & all the players are amazing, at what point does the 5-11 record come into play? The Eagles have won 5 out of 6 div titles, aren't all rated 80+, yet I have heard maybe 75% less suggestions from Philly people. I know Skins' are the richest team & can afford to eat bad contracts year after year but if roster-makers can't even rate a change-of-pace fullback below 80 what is the point of having ratings?

Answer: this is why everyone is free to change any & all ratings themselves... to each his own

Last edited by puja21; 09-08-2007 at 04:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2007, 04:57 PM   #12
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnTesh
^I actually really liked the gameplay. I would have to play more, but could see myself lowering both HUM and CPU sliders.

As far as reading the overall ratings, you had Brunell at 98 and Romo was 93. Does that mean Brunell is better than Romo? And the overall ratings max out at 100. So do you have to look at individual stats to tell whether you have Peyton Manning better than Jason Campbell?

I realize all the DBs are a lot lower, but you are still able to compare overalls to the same position, correct? To what degree can you do this? Can I say that a 66 FS is a better DB than a 64 CB?

I love the stamina you have set for this as well. It is nice to see backup DL when you have a nice long drive going.

Again, don't go so crazy about overall ratings. Brunell won't be a starter and thus some of the key ratings will be lower than Romo's. As far as the DB's, sure you can compare relative nos. because I didn't differentiate between safeties and corners as I've done before. Glad the stamina's working out....still messing with the sub-out/in a little myself. I think I'm going to go with 50/75, but I'm going to have to up all FB's stamina as best I can tell.

Quote:
C Jamaal Jackson is missing the second "a" in his name, should be listed as a 5 year pro and in case you dont know, his full name is listed in the PBP as is his photo. He's in the game disc so you dont have to "edit" him.

K Dirk Johnson was released in favor of rookie Sac Rocca. Yeah, im pissed off about that as well.

You're missing RB Ryan Moats and I know that he's on IR but he could be used to fill the roster. Also missing is C Jon Dorenbos who should be the third center and is their Long Snapper.
I'll check on Jackson, thanks Dan. I saw the Rocca mistake earlier today and will correct that too. I don't think I'm going to add Moats b/c he's done for the year. The 3rd C/LS scenarios I don't worry about. I am thinking about bringing in an idea I had last year implimenting "super" returners to get more variety in the return game. Maybe an alternate roster will be done incorporating that later.

Oh, and if anyone can take on the Packers and Favre in a tournament or season game and tell me how your defense does against him, I'd be curious. BTW, for you guys who are doing test games, I hope your not just taking it into an exhibition game, b/c I think those play differently.

Last edited by daflyboys; 09-08-2007 at 05:04 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:10 PM   #13
Vin
All-Star

Vin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
how about cutting him some slack? remember, he's trying to make a roster that PLAYS differently first & foremost.

Yeah, I realized that my comment came off as a little *******ish... And I really didn't mean it to.... Thats why I changed it before anyone had a chance to reply to it (or so I thought...)...

seriously though, my apologies...
Old 09-08-2007, 05:13 PM   #14
Banned

daflyboys's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by vswitzer
ok... so after 16 mins of a game (2 8min quarters) I have a few thoughts...
CBs are studs against the run, but look like village idiots (running around, flailing) whenever the ball is in the air...
Defensive lineman are worthless against the run...
I seem to be able to max-pass around any coverage...

I know you're trying to make it an offensive heavy game, and I respect/appreciate that... but theres a better way to go about it... I'm a big animations guy and it really pissed me off when the CPU catches a three yard pass and takes it all the way because my corner jumps 6 feet in the wrong direction when the pass is thrown...

I'll toy with it for a while, but I can already tell ya the reason for your "stupid" corners isnt so much the low coverage rating as it is the 0 Agg rating...
I appreciate the attempt at feedback but I'm sorry. Playing 2 quarters is not going to prove anything. We'll be waiting for your insights.
Old 09-08-2007, 05:39 PM   #15
Rookie

JohnTesh's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by puja21
Mike Sellers should be better? yes, i know he did have a 7 TD spurt a couple years ago but the guy has less career carries than some RBs get in a half. Do you want to see every FB in the game rated in the 80s. What Skins' back is stepping up in '07? Honestly, there are only so many TDs to go around on ANY offense... Cooley, Sellars, Betts-- the way some guys talk I should literally expect those guys to combine for 45 TDs in '07 on top of Portis getting back to 1500 yds & 15 more of his own. Things I've heard: "Cooley should be a 90, his over/under is @ 15 TDs this year," "Moss should be a 97 he just had an off year w/ a QB situation," "Campbell is going to be amazing," "Portis was hurt," etc etc. So, is your QB situation hurting your receivers or is he the next Doug Williams? One or the other... can't be both. If Gibbs is a HOFer, Gregg Williams is a genius/creative blitzer, & all the players are amazing, at what point does the 5-11 record come into play? The Eagles have won 5 out of 6 div titles, aren't all rated 80+, yet I have heard maybe 75% less suggestions from Philly people. I know Skins' are the richest team & can afford to eat bad contracts year after year but if roster-makers can't even rate a change-of-pace fullback below 80 what is the point of having ratings?
So do you get a lot of guff in general or primarily Skins fans

First of all, Sellers isn't under 80, he's under 70. A player rated at 65 is pure garbage. Is a FB overall rating purely based off of his running ability? The man should have the strength and blocking ability of a low tier OL. If you or anyone has that and it isn't accurately portrayed in his overall rating, I apologize since I was only looking at his overall rating.

Cooley should be in the 90s IMO. He has comparable numbers to Jason Witten, he is usually rated in the low 90s in the majority of roster files I've seen.

Portis should be low 90s, Betts high 80s. Betts ran for over 1000 and only started in 9 games.

Campbell should be ranked in the low- mid 80s I believe, with a fairly high ceiling to improve since he hasn't proven much.

I will say this about daflyboys rosters. I played with his sliders a few times with Convince's rosters and the game played really poorly. It was really hard to move the chains. However, with his rosters, the game plays completely differently. I look forward to playing with your final roster dafly.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-08-2007, 05:59 PM   #16
Vin
All-Star

Vin's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daflyboys
I appreciate the attempt at feedback but I'm sorry. Playing 2 quarters is not going to prove anything. We'll be waiting for your insights.

I don't know what to tell ya... I thought you were looking for some feedback, and I gave ya some...

I'm not trying to be an *******, and I'm not trying to knock anything you've done... I'm just trying to give you some honest feedback... I got this game the day it come out and have been playing it ever since... So I've got a pretty good feel for the game...

I like what you've done so far, especially with the tweaks and all... seriously I do... and I appreciate the magnitude of it also, trust me... I've logged countless hours in Finn's editor... And sometime last year I abandoned my efforts when I discovered that Puja was going about his roster making pretty much the same way I was, only, well, 1,000 times better...

And you're right, 2 quarters is just small sample size... But from what I'm reading from other posters, they're running into some of the same "problems" I am... I also figured that when I said "after 16 mins of a game (2 8min quarters)" everything that followed would be taken as my initial thoughts, I guess, instead of a definitive conclusion on your efforts...

And my other, withdrawn question is still somewhat of a serious one... I had no idea how finished of a product you were releasing... I didn't know exactly what you were looking for... Positions, Numbers, Skin Tones, ect...

If you really want some honest feedback, from a guy who is ******** OCD about roster accuracy, I'll run through a few more games with the roster and sliders as is and be more than happy to share...

Also, Brady Poppinga is black in the game... and he shouldn't be...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > NFL 2K > ESPN NFL 2K5 Football > ESPN NFL 2K5 Rosters »