Home

You gotta have Hope! - Minnesota Vikings Franchise (Madden 12)

This is a discussion on You gotta have Hope! - Minnesota Vikings Franchise (Madden 12) within the Football Dynasties forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Dynasty Headquarters > Football Dynasties
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-02-2012, 09:51 AM   #65
MVP

OVR: 11
Re: You gotta have Hope! - Minnesota Vikings Franchise (Madden 12)

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Week 5: vs Seattle

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Vikings News

-Veteran linebacker E.J. Henderson returned to practice this week after missing the first 4 games of the season injured, but the Vikings have decided not to rush him back.

"Mark (Herzlich) has played well at the position, that does not mean we don't want E.J. back, but we want to make sure he's at 100%." Coach Frazier said in a press conference, indicating that Herzlich and Henderson might share the load in the upcoming games.

-The matchup this week couldn't be a bigger mismatch. On the one side, the hot team of the hour, the undefeated Minnesota Vikings with rookies Jackson Bell and Tiger Elliott having a huge impact on the field, on the other hand the Seattle Seahawks that have yet to win a game and where no rookies at all have even made the starting lineup so far. Still, the Vikings are determined not to take their opponent likely. "Yeah, they haven't been very lucky so far" Running back Noel Devine told reporters. "But guys like Tarvaris Jackson and Marshawn Lynch are always good for a lucky punch if you're not careful, so we need to remain focused."

Around the League

-The Oakland Raiders continue to impress, cruising to a 4-0 record and knocking off the Falcons, Giants and Saints on the way there, it's safe to say that they are the surprise team of the season so far, together with the Vikings, of course.

-It has been a slow week injury-wise, with no key starters suffering long-term injuries around the league. The Seahawks are missing wide receiver Mike Williams with a partial ACL tear for Sunday, but otherwise, both teams are pretty close to full strength.

Last edited by TheDelta; 01-03-2012 at 08:15 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-02-2012, 11:34 AM   #66
MVP

Game Recap

Seattle Seahawks at Minnesota Vikings
Oct 7, 20121ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Seattle Seahawks (0-5)0372030
Minnesota Vikings (5-0)72132455
Team Stats Comparison
SEAMIN
Total Offense464525
Rushing Yards120370
Passing Yards344155
First Downs1813
Punt Return Yards043
Kick Return Yards0123
Total Yards464691
Turnovers02
3rd Down Converstion5-134-9
4th Down Conversion0-21-1
2-Point Conversion0-10-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals2/1-33/0-3
Penalties1-50-0
Posession Time21:4922:11
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGSEAMIN
4:15(MIN) M. Reece, 3 Yd run (S. Janikowski)07
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGSEAMIN
7:52(SEA) B. Campbell, 38 Yd FG37
7:37(MIN) N. Devine, 71 Yd run (S. Janikowski)314
3:18(MIN) N. Devine, 16 Yd run (S. Janikowski)321
0:26(MIN) T. Gerhart, 2 Yd run (S. Janikowski)328
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGSEAMIN
6:31(MIN) S. Janikowski, 50 Yd FG331
3:08(SEA) T. Jackson, 19 Yd run (B. Campbell)1031
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGSEAMIN
9:43(SEA) M. Lynch, 2 Yd run (B. Campbell)1731
8:14(MIN) N. Devine, 62 Yd run (S. Janikowski)1738
3:25(SEA) T. Austin 74 Yd pass from C. Whitehurst (B. Campbell)2438
1:54(MIN) S. Janikowski, 49 Yd FG2441
0:53(MIN) T. Gerhart, 62 Yd run (S. Janikowski)2448
0:28(SEA) D. Baldwin 57 Yd pass from T. Jackson (2 pt conversion failed, M. Lynch run)3048
0:13(MIN) E. Gilbert, 77 Yd run (S. Janikowski)3055
Seattle Seahawks
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
T. Jackson18/3031710
C. Whitehurst1/17410
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
M. Lynch19663.41
T. Jackson3268.61
J. Forsett3186.00
S. Rice11010.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
T. Austin59919.81
D. Baldwin512024.01
G. Tate311237.30
Z. Miller22211.00
T. Burrell11010.00
S. Rice11414.00
J. Keys11515.00
M. Lynch1-1-1.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
B. Campbell1/13/3639
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
J. Ryan418446.00
Minnesota Vikings
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
H. Turner10/1615701
J. Webb1/2801
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
N. Devine1519512.93
T. Gerhart68013.32
M. Reece581.61
H. Turner3103.30
E. Gilbert17777.01
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
P. Harvin68013.30
K. Rudolph35518.30
R. Norton12222.00
N. Devine188.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
S. Janikowski2/27/71351
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
C. Kluwe15151.01
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
E. Gilbert512124.20
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
E. Gilbert34314.30

When the league's dominating rushing attack meets the worst run defense, hilarity ensues. At least, if you were a Vikings fan last Sunday, the result was pretty hilarious.

The Vikings again started out a bit slow, as they have done often, they needed a drive or two to get into a rhythm, but when they did, they were completely unstoppable. It looked as if the Seahawks would manage to keep the game close when safety Earl Thomas picked off Hope Turner on a pretty accurate pass on 3rd & long, but the young safety made an athletic move to beat receiver Percy Harvin to the ball. But the Vikings defense held them to a FG, with rookie corner Jackson Bell pretty much erasing Sidney Rice almost all game long. With Mike Williams out, this allowed rookie backup slot receiver Tyler Austin to have a huge game, Austin, Doug Baldwin and Golden Tate consistently escaped coverage and brought in catches especially late in the game.

Noel Devine ran over the Seahawks at will in the second quarter, picking up huge gains on the ground and scoring twice on big plays, and the defense continued to shut down Seattle almost completely in the quarter, and when Toby Gerhart put up yet another touchdown before halftime, this one looked like it was pretty much over.

The Vikings played things a bit softer in the second half, running down the clock and keeping the Seahawks contained, allowing quarterback Tarvaris Jackson to give his team a spark of hope when he scrambled for a touchdown late in the third quarter.

The fourth quarter saw a lot of crazy shenanigans, the Vikings secondary somehow could not manage to cover the deep ball anymore, allowing huge completions all over the board and the Seahawks to score three more touchdowns in short order, but it was no use since their own defense was completely gassed and unable to stop the Vikings in any meaningful way. Even after backup QB Joe Webb entered the game in relief of Turner with his team up by 28 and tossed a pick on his first passing attempt, the Seahawks didn't manage to turn it around, they scored, but didn't manage to recover the ensuing onside kick, and Toby Gerhart simply ran over two defenders on a simple inside handoff to run out the clock, turning the simple dive play into a huge touchdown run.

The Seahawks managed to go deep yet again, but with less then 30 seconds on the clock, it was no good, they kicked the ball deep and again, the Vikings didn't do anything but hand the ball off to third-string RB Ego Gilbert (who had a good game returning punts, showing quickness and good moves even though Seahawks punter Jon Ryan pinned him deep several times) who broke a tackle for yet another huge TD run.

"I know we're starting to sound like a broken record." Running back Noel Devine (who was voted NFL offensive player of the week) told reporters after the game. "But we really were not trying to run up the score. We had our backups in there, and I guess the coach wanted to see what they can do, I mean, those were inside running plays, it's not like we were airing it out or something. I think no one was more surprised than Toby and Ego when they were suddenly running free downfield."

With the Raiders falling at home to the Panthers, the Vikings are now the only undefeated team in the NFL.

Week 5 Results

Browns 20 @ Ravens 21
Cardinals 17 @ Dolphins 14
Chargers 20 @ Chiefs 27
Packers 21 @ Bears 17
Steelers 30 @ Giants 17
Texans 9 @ Bills 20
49ers 6 @ Rams 24
Broncos 16 @ Buccaneers 21
Falcons 17 @ Saints 27
Raiders 40 @ Panthers 44
Eagles 24 @ Cowboys 22
Titans 14 @ Bengals 20
Seahawks 30 @ Vikings 55
Lions 3 @ Colts 16

NFC North Standings

Vikings (5-0)
Packers (3-1)
Bears (2-3)
Lions (2-3)

Old 01-03-2012, 08:28 AM   #67
MVP

Week 6: vs Detroit

Vikings News

-With E.J. Henderson slowly getting back into the lineup, sophomore backup Mark Herzlich has visibly begun to fight for his position, drawing praise from the coaches. "Mark is a great, young player, and we're glad to have him on our team. E.J. remains the starter, and if he's healthy, he'll play, but I can tell you that Mark will definitely get his snaps." Coach Frazier told the press during the week.

-Even though their record is only a disappointing 2-3, the upcoming test against the defending Super Bowl champions is considered by many to be the toughest yet for Minnesota. But rookie start CB Jackson Bell as always remained positive. "Do I respect Megatron? Who doesn't?" He told reporters after a practice on wednesday. "But am I afraid of him? No way, the only way you can go out there and play is to tell yourself "This guy isn't gonna get past me", and if I have anything to say about it, he won't."

-While many point to Hope Turner, and it's true that the 22 year old Columbia graduate has done an admirable job of managing the Vikings and calling the signals, the true success story of this team is Noel Devine. The sophomore running back, who went undrafted last year, right now leads the NFL in every meaningful rushing statistic, with a staggering 9.7 YPC and over 150 yards per game so far.

Around the League

-Last week has seen four major injuries, for the Cardinals Daryl Washington (PCL), the 49ers Aldon Smith (tricep), the Dolphins Brian Hartline (hip) and the Steelers Lamarr Woodley (elbow), the season is over. It's an especially tough blow to the Steelers, who are already missing fellow LB Lawrence Timmons injured as well as star safety Troy Polamalu on IR.

-The Lions are missing three key players as well, DT Ndamukong Suh (ACL), OLB Jason Durant (tricep) and CB Nate Clements (broken tailbone) are all out for the long term, so their defense may have a hard time trying to shut down the Vikings red-hot attack.
Old 01-03-2012, 10:15 AM   #68
MVP

Game Recap

Detroit Lions at Minnesota Vikings
Oct 14, 20121ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Detroit Lions (2-4)30003
Minnesota Vikings (6-0)01710532
Team Stats Comparison
DETMIN
Total Offense132281
Rushing Yards93132
Passing Yards39149
First Downs817
Punt Return Yards1659
Kick Return Yards037
Total Yards148377
Turnovers44
3rd Down Converstion3-129-15
4th Down Conversion0-10-0
2-Point Conversion0-00-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals0/1-11/3-5
Penalties1-101-10
Posession Time15:4428:16
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGDETMIN
6:13(DET) R. Longwell, 41 Yd FG30
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGDETMIN
7:47(MIN) P. Harvin 10 Yd pass from H. Turner (S. Janikowski)37
6:56(MIN) J. Bell, returned Interception 47 Yds (S. Janikowski)314
1:51(MIN) S. Janikowski, 21 Yd FG317
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGDETMIN
5:49(MIN) S. Janikowski, 26 Yd FG320
1:39(MIN) K. Williams, returned fumble 35 Yds (S. Janikowski)327
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGDETMIN
3:37(MIN) Team Safety329
0:00(MIN) S. Janikowski, 26 Yd FG332
Detroit Lions
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
M. Stafford10/237403
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
J. Best14392.70
M. Stafford44711.70
K. Smith221.00
C. Johnson Jr.155.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
B. Pettigrew4184.50
T. Young2178.50
N. Burleson11616.00
A. Jenkins133.00
J. Jackson177.00
C. Johnson Jr.11313.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
R. Longwell1/10/0342
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
B. Graham521042.01
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
N. Burleson2168.00
Minnesota Vikings
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
H. Turner12/2512114
J. Webb2/45900
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
N. Devine19955.00
M. Reece4102.50
T. Gerhart471.70
H. Turner2189.00
J. Webb122.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
P. Harvin511222.41
M. Reece3-4-1.30
K. Rudolph33712.30
R. Norton23216.00
V. Shiancoe133.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
S. Janikowski3/33/31227
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
C. Kluwe28341.51
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
E. Gilbert11919.00
P. Harvin11818.00
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
E. Gilbert45914.70

Sometimes, things don't turn out quite as you expect them to. The game began with a huge announcement that linebacker E.J. Henderson had been traded to the Arizona Cardinals for their third-round picks in the next two drafts. Coach Fraziers had announced that Henderson remained the teams starter only days ago, but with Mark Herzlich playing very solid in relief of the injured veteran, the front office decided to stick with the younger player. The Cardinals were desperate for depth at LB since starting ILB Daryl Washington was put in IR last week, and they wanted to defend their lead in the NFC West.

Many people expected this game to be a shootout, but it wasn't quite like that. It turned out to become a game that both quarterbacks would most likely want to forget soon, with Matthew Stafford and Hope Turner combining for no less then 7 interceptions, Stafford suffering a strip-sack as well.

Neither offense could do much for vast stretches of the game, the Vikings found some success on the ground, but not enough to keep drives going, while the Lions were completely unable to do anything, their only points came off a turnover that left them already in field goal range.

Jackson Bell made true on his promise, with the rookie holding Calvin Johnson to only one catch and 12 yards, and not only that, picking off a Stafford pass in the second quarter and taking it home for his very first interception as well as his first TD. Mark Herzlich also proved that the trust the franchise put in him was well deserved, coming up with his third pick of the season, but unfortunately, he had to leave the game later with what turned out to be a torn shoulder labrum, he is expected to miss at least some games so the Vikings have suddenly become pretty thin at LB, with backup Jovan Belcher coming into the game, doing a solid job in relief of Herzlich.

There really wasn't much more to say, the Vikings shut down the Lions on pretty much every level, ran the ball enough to get into position to score and had just enough success on a couple of good passes to blow the Lions out. When sophomore DE Vic So'oto finally sacked Matthew Stafford for a safety late in the game, it didn't change anything about what everyone already knew, the Lions were simply outclassed in this matchup.

"I can't thank our guys on defense enough for this." Hope Turner told reporters in the postgame press conference. "I mean I sucked a-... let's just say I sacked a LOT tonight, I have no excuses to make for myself. But Tiger, Jackson, I mean can what can you say about a guy doing what he does every week? But also Chad, Kevin, Vic... the way they have stepped up tonight, have done it all year, just wow. And of course Mark, too, I really hope we get him back soon."

Week 6 Results

Bears 17 @ Texans 34
Seahawks 7 @ Packers 16
Giants 20 @ Cowboys 45
Rams 17 @ Jets 28
Saints 41 @ Eagles 31
Colts 20 @ Bills 23
Jaguars 12 @ Titans 19
Falcons 20 @ Buccaneers 23 (OT)
Steelers 31 @ Broncos 27
Lions 3 @ Vikings 32
Raiders 38 @ Chiefs 24
Dolphins 14 @ 49ers 34
Ravens 23 @ Redskins 34
Patriots 16 @ Cardinals 19

NFC North Standings

Vikings (6-0)
Packers (4-1)
Bears (2-4)
Lions (2-4)

Old 01-03-2012, 06:34 PM   #69
MVP

Week 7: at NYG

Vikings News

-As has been stated last week, E.J. Henderson is no longer a Viking. The veteran linebacker had missed all of the season so far due to an injury, and when he came back, he found his starting spot taken by Mark Herzlich. With the Cardinals in desperate search for a new ILB after losing Daryl Washington to injury, the front office decided they felt comfortable enough moving forward with Herzlich to trade Henderson for a couple of 3rd round picks.

Of course, things didn't work out quite like the Vikings had hoped, even if Herzlich came away with a pick (his third of the season) against the Lions, but later suffered a shoulder injury and is expected to be out for at least a couple of weeks. Fortunately, the Vikings have a bye in two weeks so he'll only be missing those two games. Backup Jovan Belcher, who has been picked up during the preseason will start, and the Vikings are expected to activate a player from the practice squad or add depth in some other way for those games.

-Hope Turner has been stepping up intensity in practice. After having a horrible 4 pick performance last sunday, even though the defense carried the team to a comfortable blowout win, she is trying to improve her accuracy and decision-making on the field.

"I mean, I'm glad I didn't lose us the game last week", she told reporters. "But I easily could have. And that's not something I can afford to do. I know I got a lot to learn about how to play in this league, so I better get going."

Jackson Bell and Tiger Elliott, the two rookies in the Vikings secondary, meanwhile, continue to have amazing seasons, with many analysts going so far as to suggest Bell has had the best season of any CB in the league so far. He will get a chance to match up against Hakeem Nicks in this weeks game against the Giants.

Around the League

-After six weeks, there are still two winless teams in the NFL, the Browns and the Seahawks are struggling on every level, and it looks as if the time of Colt McCoy and Tarvaris Jackson as starting QBs in this league may well be over after this season.

-Close on the Vikings heels are the Raiders, Steelers, Buccaneers and Cardinals, all at 5-1 and leading their respective divisions. Especially the Raiders success comes as a huge surprise to many, after their last disappointing season ended in a complete locker room meltdown that led to several veterans not extending their contracts and coaches being fired. But the team has stabilized this year with Jason Campbell having a career year so far with career bests in passer rating, TD/INT ratio and yards per game.

-No week without an injury report. The Jaguars WR Mike Thomas (tricep), Seahawks LT Russell Okung (ankle) and the Cardinals DE Calais Campbell have all been placed on season ending IR. The Giants, meanwhile, are getting thin in their interior Dline, with defensive tackles Anthony Adams, Linval Joseph and Chris Canty all out injured for the contest.
Old 01-03-2012, 08:29 PM   #70
MVP

Game Recap

Minnesota Vikings at New York Giants
Oct 21, 1ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Minnesota Vikings (7-0)10701027
New York Giants (2-5)00033
Team Stats Comparison
MINNYG
Total Offense409247
Rushing Yards27130
Passing Yards138217
First Downs2310
Punt Return Yards200
Kick Return Yards4572
Total Yards474319
Turnovers33
3rd Down Converstion6-111-8
4th Down Conversion1-10-1
2-Point Conversion0-00-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals3/1-40/0-1
Penalties2-92-15
Posession Time30:4013:20
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGMINNYG
5:28(MIN) H. Turner, 1 Yd run (S. Janikowski)70
2:39(MIN) S. Janikowski, 25 Yd FG100
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGMINNYG
0:33(MIN) M. Reece, 7 Yd run (S. Janikowski)170
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGMINNYG
8:01(NYG) C. Barth, 46 Yd FG173
5:11(MIN) S. Janikowski, 47 Yd FG203
2:13(MIN) H. Turner, 1 Yd run (S. Janikowski)273
Minnesota Vikings
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
H. Turner10/1814703
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
N. Devine201025.10
T. Gerhart9576.30
M. Reece7486.81
H. Turner5173.42
E. Gilbert44711.70
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
P. Harvin57515.00
K. Rudolph35618.60
R. Norton11919.00
N. Devine1-3-3.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
S. Janikowski2/23/3948
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
C. Kluwe15555.00
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
E. Gilbert24522.50
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
E. Gilbert3206.60
New York Giants
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
E. Manning16/2923903
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
I. Ingham8313.80
A. Bradshaw1-11.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
J. Morgan58617.20
V. Cruz35618.60
J. Ballard3227.30
C. Watkins273.50
H. Nicks26331.50
A. Bradshaw155.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
C. Barth1/20/0347
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
R. Malone415939.71
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
V. Cruz24924.50
A. Rolle12323.00

For everyone not yet worried about these Vikings, maybe now is the time to start worrying. They came into New York and out again with the win, and again, it wasn't even close.

The game was played in a constant downpour of rain that didn't help either quarterback, and predictably, both Hope Turner and Eli Manning struggled to throw the ball with any kind of precision. Both were picked off three times, so despite her efforts to improve, it is safe to say that right now, their girl under center remains a weakness for the Vikings. But if your defense can step up and keep your opponents to 3 points, that's a weakness you can probably afford.

It didn't help that the Giants lost running back Ahmad Bradshaw to an injury after his second touch of the game, backup rookie Isaac Ingham played a solid game but couldn't really help much, especially since his team played from behind constantly.

There really isn't much to say about more than three quarters of the game, it was business as usual for the Vikings, shut down the opponent's offense and run, run, run the ball to keep it away from them and tire out their defense, and it worked yet again like a charm. Jackson Bell again give up only one completion to Hakeem Nicks for 11 yards, shutting down his assigned receiver all game long and even coming away with another interception this week.

Hope Turner didn't score through the air, but had two TDs on her patented sneak move. But it wasn't all roses and unicorns for the Vikings, as running back Toby Gerhart had to be carted off after taking a vicious hit late in the game, he did not regain consciousness on the field and was delivered to the nearest hospital, where he has not been released since and officials refuse to comment on the nature of his injury, just stating that his current state was "critical".

Since everonye was understandably concerned about their fellow teammates, no interviews were given after the game, with the team deciding that they wanted to wait until more was known about the injury before speaking to the press.

Week 7 Results

Colts 17 @ Packers 23
Buccaneers 13 @ Bears 16
Vikings 27 @ Giants 3
Chiefs 16 @ Steelers 24
Dolphins 10 @ Patriots 37
Panthers 33 @ Redskins 30
Cowboys 42 @ Bengals 38
Cardinals 10 @ 49ers 34
Jaguars 24 @ Texans 10
Titans 20 @ Lions 27
Broncos 27 @ Falcons 20
Saints 10 @ Chargers 24
Jets 20 @ Bills 28
Raiders 17 @ Browns 3

NFC North Standings

Vikings (7-0)
Packers (5-1)
Bears (3-4)
Lions (3-4)

Old 01-04-2012, 08:24 AM   #71
MVP

Week 8: at St. Louis

Vikings News

-Toby Gerhart will never play football again. News coming out of Minnesota and the New York hospital where the running back was brought after suffering a tough hit by rookie Giants linebacker Tequan Greene in the closing minutes of last Sundays game.

Gerhart was unconcious and his state was only described as "critical", but during the week, more shocking details surfaced. On wednesday, Vikings head coach Leslie Frazier took the podium on a press conference, declaring that it had been confirmed that Gerhart suffered an injury to his vertebrae. "His state was potentially life-threatening when he was delivered to the hospital, which is why we refused to comment on the situation I hope you all understand that, but he is no longer in critical condition." He explained.

He went on to explain more about the nature of the injury, but the essence is that Gerhart is right now paralyzed from the waist down, there is some hope that with therapy, he may regain some use of his legs, but it is too early to say anything conclusive.

This is the second time in two years that the Vikings have lost a running back to a career ending injury, after Adrian Peterson injured both his legs last summer in a car crash.

Frazier did not take questions, and not a single player has talked to the press this week, but he took the time to state that no blame for this injury was to be put on rookie Tequan Greene. "The boy did absolutely nothing wrong, he delivered a clean hit and from what we understand right now, only a combination of the direst of bad coincidences could make this kind of injury happen."

Out of respect for Toby Gerhart, we will refrain from making any kind of jokes about how the recent shelf life of Vikings running backs is getting more and more comparable to that of Spinal Tap drummers.

(yes, Gerhart REALLY suffered a fractured vertebrae, I'm not making this **** up this time)

Around the League

-It has been a week of a few changes along the league. After starter Blaine Gabbert suffered a minor injury to his throwing hand that will keep him sidelined for a few weeks, the Jaguars have brought in veteran free agent Matt Hasselbeck to stand in for him, and the Seahawks, after 6 straight losses, have finally seen enough of Tarvaris Jackson as a starter, signing Chad Henne to close out the season for them.

-Concerning their next opponents, the Rams are missing CB Eric Wright (jaw), WR Danny Amendola (bicep) and rookie RT Gavin Anderson (arm) for this weeks contest.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-04-2012, 10:25 PM   #72
MVP

Game Recap

Minnesota Vikings at St. Louis Rams
Oct 28, 20121ST2ND3RD4THSCORE
Minnesota Vikings (7-1)00000
St. Louis Rams (3-4)6103726
Team Stats Comparison
MINSTL
Total Offense133252
Rushing Yards31166
Passing Yards10286
First Downs915
Punt Return Yards393
Kick Return Yards1500
Total Yards322255
Turnovers83
3rd Down Converstion5-106-14
4th Down Conversion0-00-0
2-Point Conversion0-00-0
Red Zone Touchdowns/Field Goals0-01/3-6
Penalties3-301-15
Posession Time16:5523:58
Scoring Summary
FIRST QUARTER SCORINGMINSTL
5:21(STL) J. Brown, 22 Yd FG03
0:02(STL) J. Brown, 31 Yd FG06
SECOND QUARTER SCORINGMINSTL
9:09(STL) J. Brown, 33 Yd FG09
0:21(STL) D. Alexander 11 Yd pass from S. Bradford (J. Brown)016
THIRD QUARTER SCORINGMINSTL
3:29(STL) J. Brown, 38 Yd FG019
FOURTH QUARTER SCORINGMINSTL
10:50(STL) J. Laurinaitis, returned interception 25 Yds (J. Brown)026
Minnesota Vikings
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
H. Turner10/2414703
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
N. Devine14332.30
M. Reece133.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
P. Harvin711215.90
N. Devine199.00
K. Rudolph11313.00
E. Arceneaux11313.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
S. Janikowski0/10/000
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
C. Kluwe314849.31
KICK RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
M. Sherels615025.00
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
E. Gilbert23919.50
St. Louis Rams
PASSINGC/AYDSTDINT
S. Bradford14/2710313
RUSHINGATTYDSAVGTD
S. Jackson251405.60
S. Bradford7243.40
S. Waters122.00
RECEIVINGRECYDSAVGTD
S. Jackson393.00
B. Lloyd3237.60
M. Clayton3124.00
L. Kendricks22613.00
D. Alexander11212.00
M. Hedgecock11010.00
S. Waters11111.00
KICKINGFGXPPTSLONG
J. Brown4/42/21439
PUNTINGNOYDSAVGIN20
D. Jones314448.00
PUNT RETURNRETYDSAVGTD
M. Jenkins133.00

The 7 game win streak of the Minnesota Vikings came to an end in an offensive implosion of epic proportion.

In light of the catastrophic career ending injury to running back Toby Gerhart last week, the players refused to talk to the press before the game, giving only a pregame message to greet their teammate and wish him well for his recovery, but as soon as the ball kicked off, it was obvious that this was not the same team that had run to a league-leading 7-0 record in the last two months. The team had signed free agent Tim Hightower to replace Gerhart, but he did not play a meaningful number of snaps in this contest.

It was painful to watch the Vikings offense in this game, they had turned the ball over twice before they even picked up a first down, and finished the game with a whopping 8 turnovers (3 turnovers, 5 fumbles) and were shut out by the Rams. The Vikings defense still played a good game, shutting down most of the Rams receiving corps and at least keeping Stephen Jackson out of the endzone, but it was no use. Even when practice squad linebacker Vidal Wells, a 7th round draft pick who had been activated for this game, picked off Sam Bradford in the endzone, it didn't help a lot. Whenever it looked like the Vikings might pick up points, bad things happend.

Hope Turner, who was sacked no less than 7 times in this contest, was awful, missing receivers all game long, but she wasn't alone, her line consistently blew assignments and let rushers get in unblocked, Noel Devine showed no explosion whatsoever and backup running back Ego Gilbert didn't fare much better, both of them fumbled the ball away once in scoring position, 2 of Turner's 3 picks came inside the red zone.

It would be hard to pick out one point that broke the Vikings back (absolutely no pun intended), because they failed to score on every level. When Hope Turner didn't throw an interception, it was Percy Harvin (who was the only Viking on offense to have an even remotely adequate game) fumbling the ball away on the 1 yard line, Sebastian Janikowski missing a 52 yard field goal (his very first miss this year), and to top it off, returner Marcus Sherels (who had returned to the lineup after missing most of the season injured, taking over kickoff return duties from Ego Gilbert) actually took second half kickoff back for 102 yards when the Vikings were only down 16-0, but was called back for a clipping penalty that didn't even actually affect the return. Another rushing touchdown by Devine was taken off the board by a holding call.

"We sucked today" Hope Turner was the only offensive player to face the press after the game, announcing her opinion in her usual, blunt manner. "We sucked so hard the words I really don't want to blow up your bleeping sounds trying to describe it in any more detail, so I won't. There's no excuse for what happened, no one on this offense is getting off the hook, because our fans deserve better than what we've done today."

The Vikings have their bye week coming up, and it's probably safe to say that there's hardly a team in the NFL that can use it better right now.

Week 8 Results

Jaguars 24 @ Patriots 19
Colts 16 @ Titans 34
Bengals 9 @ Ravens 45
Vikings 0 @ Rams 26
Redskins 17 @ Buccaneers 9
Lions 36 @ Bears 37
Jets 20 @ Dolphins 17 (OT)
Browns 3 @ Broncos 20
Packers 20 @ 49ers 15
Chargers 10 @ Raiders 31
Eagles 34 @ Giants 24