Home

Rebuilding the Off-season

This is a discussion on Rebuilding the Off-season within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-14-2014, 05:01 PM   #33
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Rebuilding the Off-season

Just messing around with some more stuff. Another tab on a prospect profile showing his potential fit in each giving scheme and which schemes he fits best vs. worse. Ideally, this would be something that would evolve over time. So say, you take this player and he's around 50% in your given scheme but you have good coaches and what not, over time his bar would go up to simulate the player being more comfortable within the given scheme. This would be something that would affect both the draft as well as free agency. Click for full-size.

Old 04-15-2014, 02:01 PM   #34
Rookie

OVR: 7

I like where your going with this and a cool idea!

NFL- BUCCS
NBA- MAGIC
NCCAF- FLA
AFGHANISTAN "2011-12" WAR VET

Redzone League
Cleveland Browns
Season 3 (7-9)
Season 4 (1-0)

Jacksonville Jaguars
Season 6 (0-0)
Old 04-15-2014, 03:23 PM   #35
Banned

OVR: 0

Agree with the TC 100% with everything said except for schemes. Schemes work in reality but not in a game when the ratings are all over the place. My friend is currently playing M25 with the Seahawks. In the second game against the 49ers, he told me that Bengals DT Domata Peko was the starting NT for the 49ers. Forget about the fact that Peko shouldnt be released to begin with and that he wouldnt really fit in with the 49ers 3-4 defense especially when the 49ers only use the NT 30% of the time. So, aside for all of that making no sense whatsoever...here's my main problem - ratings are screwed up and in turn screws up the CPU AI roster management from signings to releases to trades to drafting. None of it works properly. When my friend checked the 49ers depth chart in-game, Peko was rated in the 70's somewhere while Glenn Dorsey was rated 81 overall yet Peko was the starter and Dorsey was third stringer behind Ian Williams. Makes no sense whatsoever and quite simply, needs to go or at the very least, there has to be an on/off option when starting a franchise.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-15-2014, 03:27 PM   #36
Rookie

EricFreakingBerry's Arena

They need to get rid of the positional changes in just the offseason as well. I drafted a DE that's a perfect 3-4 OLB and I'm having to manually put him at OLB in the depth chart this year because I can't edit him in his profile, since after rookie signings it just advances you into the Preseason (a.k.a no changing zone). Just little restrictions like that are ridiculous.

I hate to say it, but online gaming and people that exploit the game have nearly ruined it for me in my more offline-minded simulation style.

But Deuce, your ideas are spot on. I love the variable scout/draft analysts idea as well as bringing the draft's presentation up a notch. I hate how I'm looking through the eyes of a scheme at a player and have no idea how he'll fit into another scheme unless I change the scheme itself, so the scheme familiarity/development ideas are spot on as well.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:02 PM   #37
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel77733
Agree with the TC 100% with everything said except for schemes. Schemes work in reality but not in a game when the ratings are all over the place. My friend is currently playing M25 with the Seahawks. In the second game against the 49ers, he told me that Bengals DT Domata Peko was the starting NT for the 49ers. Forget about the fact that Peko shouldnt be released to begin with and that he wouldnt really fit in with the 49ers 3-4 defense especially when the 49ers only use the NT 30% of the time. So, aside for all of that making no sense whatsoever...here's my main problem - ratings are screwed up and in turn screws up the CPU AI roster management from signings to releases to trades to drafting. None of it works properly. When my friend checked the 49ers depth chart in-game, Peko was rated in the 70's somewhere while Glenn Dorsey was rated 81 overall yet Peko was the starter and Dorsey was third stringer behind Ian Williams. Makes no sense whatsoever and quite simply, needs to go or at the very least, there has to be an on/off option when starting a franchise.
There's a lot of issues when it comes to viewing the players overalls changing when it comes to schemes. I just booted up a 49ers CCM and D.Peko at the start of Pre-Season is an 80 DT for the 49ers despite not being a scheme fit. And if your friend was playing with the Seahawks, it's like that he was looking at Peko from how the Seahawks scheme rates him versus the 49ers. And also, if he was playing as an owner, I don't think the overalls change at all despite scheme and team changes. Not disregarding this at all, just throwing out serious issues that might make this look worse than it really is.

I do think they should just scrap the specific player type though. His ratings, size, measurables, etc. should dictate his player type well enough. It would also open up schemes a little bit more to where you could do something like have a player have a rating or familiarity with a given scheme so that, like for the Chiefs, Bowe is a possession receiver, so all three receiver spots in the scheme are possession receivers. If you were to put a guy like DeSean Jackson in there, he takes a overall hit because he's not a possession receiver, when in reality, he would be a perfect fit. It's just too restrictive right now not to mention the issues with properly viewing overalls and what not.
Old 04-15-2014, 04:13 PM   #38
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by EricFreakingBerry
They need to get rid of the positional changes in just the offseason as well. I drafted a DE that's a perfect 3-4 OLB and I'm having to manually put him at OLB in the depth chart this year because I can't edit him in his profile, since after rookie signings it just advances you into the Preseason (a.k.a no changing zone). Just little restrictions like that are ridiculous.

I hate to say it, but online gaming and people that exploit the game have nearly ruined it for me in my more offline-minded simulation style.
Yeah. Something I've wanted to see but didn't mention here because it doesn't really fit is to get rid of the side specific labels when it comes to position just in terms of roster management. This way, if you didn't want to keep a fullback (Cardinals) or whatever, you wouldn't be constricted to that. Instead of LT's and RT's, just T's and G's and OLB's, etc. And then have the specific sides only in the depth chart and maybe have it so that maybe left tackle weighs the overall a bit more in terms of overall but in today's NFL it doesn't really matter, you want book ends on both sides, not just the left side.

More to your point though, another thing I'd like to see is secondary positions. So maybe a guys primary position is 3-4 OLB so his secondary would be a 4-3 DE and what not. 4-3 DT's with a secondary of 3-4 DE. Heck, you could even go further have something similar to the scheme/playbook knowledge stuff and have something that represents his familiarity or fit with each position along the line or linebacking crew. So maybe a guy like Tamba Hali who has been a 3-4 OLB for a while now but is still probably more fit to be a 4-3 end but would never fit as a DT or MLB in a 4-3 or 3-4.
Old 04-15-2014, 05:34 PM   #39
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

Just messing around with some more draft presentation stuff showing off the best available type thing that would scroll through the area where player selection updates would be shown. Just something that adds more to the visual than anything and makes you feel like you're in the process of the draft as both a fan and GM, owner, player, coach, etc. Click for full size.

Old 04-15-2014, 06:42 PM   #40
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
There's a lot of issues when it comes to viewing the players overalls changing when it comes to schemes. I just booted up a 49ers CCM and D.Peko at the start of Pre-Season is an 80 DT for the 49ers despite not being a scheme fit. And if your friend was playing with the Seahawks, it's like that he was looking at Peko from how the Seahawks scheme rates him versus the 49ers. And also, if he was playing as an owner, I don't think the overalls change at all despite scheme and team changes. Not disregarding this at all, just throwing out serious issues that might make this look worse than it really is.
The rating for Peko and Dorsey was from the IN GAME depth chart. He had told me the ratings in that scheme crap and then told me what they were in game before kickoff. He's playing as a coach. I know a lot of people like the idea of schemes but im sorry, its horrible, makes the CPU AI roster management horrible and quite simply, needs to go. I stopped playing M13 because of this and because the difficulty was so unbalanced that after a few months I gave up. I played M25 for maybe a day and that was more than enough. The schemes screws up everything and for someone like me who's extremely picky and wants the starters to be starters, backups to be backups and rated accordingly, it turns me off immediately. And sorry but schemes is WORSE than how it looks. Good idea, horrible execution and horribly implemented. Whats worse is that the CPU AI roster management was bad before schemes ever existed but now its even worse.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeuceDouglas
I do think they should just scrap the specific player type though. His ratings, size, measurables, etc. should dictate his player type well enough. It would also open up schemes a little bit more to where you could do something like have a player have a rating or familiarity with a given scheme so that, like for the Chiefs, Bowe is a possession receiver, so all three receiver spots in the scheme are possession receivers. If you were to put a guy like DeSean Jackson in there, he takes a overall hit because he's not a possession receiver, when in reality, he would be a perfect fit. It's just too restrictive right now not to mention the issues with properly viewing overalls and what not.
I think they should scrap schemes. Get rid of it all. Get rid of player type and all that. M25 is a game, not reality. It will never ever be able to fully emulate reality so no point in fully trying. Emulate what can be emulated and leave the rest as is.

As for ratings increases, decreases, etc., it doesnt matter, IN GAME player overall ratings are EXACTLY the same as if you were playing a quick game. When quick games are better than franchise games since schemes dont exist in quick games, that should tell people something.

Add in the fact that schemes, player types, etc. has no impact or affect on player demands in regards to salaries. I'm sorry but there's no one in the world who'll ever convince me that schemes is a positive in any way. And until Tiburon eliminates, I stay away from playing Madden because way too much frustration and aggravation. In the end, the game is simply not worth it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »