Home

More Madden NFL 15 Details Revealed

This is a discussion on More Madden NFL 15 Details Revealed within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-29-2014, 05:56 PM   #81
Banned

OVR: 0
Didnt they say it was going to be released on current gen and last gen? So Im curious what the differences will be between the games and which will play better? I kept playing ps2 version long after the 360/ps3 dropped because it was that much better! I still play ps2 version while my ps4 sits in its box along with madden25.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-29-2014, 07:41 PM   #82
Rookie

UCAFranchize's Arena

OVR: 2
Madden is dead to me because without NCAA Football and its importing draft classes, it wont sell as much. If they bring in realistic draft classes or share draft classes like NBA 2K then they have something, but that's wishful thinking
Old 04-29-2014, 08:07 PM   #83
Rookie

AaeriosGames's Arena

Re: More Madden NFL 15 Details Revealed

One aspect of Madden that is always absent is a dynamic crowd that appropriately reacts to on-field plays. A crowd will be belligerent after the defense forces an incomplete pass but seem disinterested and even quitter if the D gets a "Pick 6". This would add so much more to the realism of the game if it were to be applied correctly.

"I am not in danger... I am the danger! A player gets the ball stolen and dunked and you think that of me? No. I am the one who dunks!" - KAWHISENBERG
Old 04-29-2014, 11:50 PM   #84
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ch46647
They are going to add a DL "modifier" for D-Line play, similar to what they added for running last year. (Clint Oldenburg has eluded to this coming before last years release)

I think that is great and should finally make playing D-Line/DE/OLB fun again (If it is implemented well). However, I will say it again, nothing matters until they integrate an all new locomotion system in the game, as well as a new animation engine.

This is very likely the case - and it is very sad.

The "precision modifier" is a horrible game play mechanic that continues one of the worst design decisions in Madden history: moving "sprint/acceleration" button to the right trigger.

The placement of sprint/acceleration on a/x, and the PS2 control layout in general, was far more intuitive and inherently more realistic. It forced you to "let off sprint" to perform moves requiring "footwork" - the change of direction or "quick juke" was more of a "footplant" than anything we have seen since. Yes the locomotion on PS2 left some serious desire for improvement, but zig zag running continues even within M25.

You want combo buttons - how about ones that make sense - like stiff arm left or right on triggers and holding both = cover ball. Same with strip ball left/right directional and holding both = wrap up tackle.

Everything that was put into "precision modifier" could have, and should have, been accomplished utilizing the ratings of the ball carrier, the timing of the move, and the input into the controller - just like "passing trajectories"

Take Y/Triangle for catch - tapping the button would be a "in stride" animation, pressing and quickly releasing would be a quick moderate jump animation, holding the button down and then releasing would allow a player to really gather in for high leaps - timing would impact the player's ability to not only high point the ball but also have a "trip/slip/lean" aspect to it. Failure to time the button input correctly could result in a player watching the pass sail over head, tripping or slipping, and even catches or incompletes where the receiver's leap makes the player's body lean in such a way that they fall during the animation...

You can apply this to every move, even the stick jukes and trucking/hit stick - flick the stick for quick pop animation, hold it direction for more impactful/ but also riskier animation - spins, dives, hurdles - and now you introduce the ability for "combos" that make football sense dive while holding both triggers to pull ball in close to body, dive while holding stiff-arm button to reach for first down marker/endzone. Hold strip on one side to "wrap" ball carrier while tapping with the other to attempt to "punch the ball out".

Pass rushing you hold dive and tap strip for "strip sack" animation - complete with risk of QB shrugging you off and late hits. Pass rush moves that are intuitively mapped to directional bumpers/triggers so power moves are on triggers with variations built in to how you press/tap/hold button same for finesse moves on the bumpers.

Nothing is added by "precision modifiers" that they could not have accomplished by looking back at what was one of the strengths of Madden on PS2 - the logical and intuitive controls that made sense not only for the user, but the "programmers" as well...
Old 04-30-2014, 12:54 AM   #85
Rookie

OVR: 2
It sounds like EA is once again moving the game in the direction of the Super Bowl champion's playing philosophy. Defense will now be beefed up to where the offenses will be limited to money plays or turnovers. Why can't they just make a football game without any bells and whistles to enhance player abilities?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-30-2014, 02:08 AM   #86
Banned

Ok..... So does this mean the DB/WR will have better animations?? Defense overall will have complete new and better tackle animations?? Does this mean Madden will have defensive gameplay animations like this finally??

or like this,

I hope so... It's not like these type of gameplay animations where done about 10 years ago?... Decade ago wow..

Last edited by Papa D; 04-30-2014 at 10:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:06 AM   #87
Rookie

OVR: 3

I hope they roll out these improvements for PS3/Xbox 360 owners. At this point in my life, I'm done buying consoles, so I would appreciate it.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:17 AM   #88
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
The "precision modifier" is a horrible game play mechanic that continues one of the worst design decisions in Madden history: moving "sprint/acceleration" button to the right trigger.
Some aspects of the idea I like, some I don't. While I'm a big fan of the "tap" in 2K Football, I was never a fan of the idea of the "charge up" system. Some of the running mechanics in Madden are basically a rendition of that concept; saving up power for an upcoming collision or move. I just can't approve of it. With the stumble recovery, I wish it was moved to another button.

As for holding trigger for turbo, I hate that too. We're not driving a race car. I think you can set speed to be automatic (?), but still. The reason I prefer the tap for these things is because it feels like the realest representation of performing running steps or breaking a tackle that you can achieve with a basic controller. Football is an aggressive game, and being forced to be passive in an action moment like running as fast as you can, just kills the immersion.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »