Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 07:49 PM   #121
Rookie

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by MossMan84
Still this doesnt stop someone from making a generic game now and building on it until they can get a share of the license! Maybe if 2k wouldve put out a game every 2-3yrs or so it would be amazing by now and giving madden a run for its money! This just baffles me to death. You cant tell me there isnt a market for another football game even if its not licensed! 90% of every comment I ever read about madden from every website, gamesites, facebook, youtube, ect. is a negative-bashing comment, so another game would sell maybe not as much as madden but enough to turn a profit. Wish I could win the powerball because I would fund the game and you all would be on my development team.
If 2K wanted to put out another generic game, they need to aggressively market the game to death. They did a horrible job marketing APF2K8. Just go on YouTube and look at the press conference they had with Jerry Rice. It looked like they rented out a small conference room at the local Comfort Inn and had FedEx Office design the wallpaper in the background. Just stick to a handful of legends..not a lot so you don't have to pay a lot of players to use their likenesses. Use that money on marketing and continuously say "the makers of NBA2K series...etc, etc." Make the game fully customizable like the creators of Backbreaker did...either via the Xbox or a disc that would word for a PC to customize it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2014, 07:53 PM   #122
Rookie

Also, check out the Facebook page called Lord Destro's All-Pro Football 2K8 Rosters. Most of us love APF2K8, so just brush the dust off of it and lets play. If you need to buy it again, Ebay has auctions on them as low as 89 cents. The hell with the NFL license...we'll do our own thing.
Old 06-13-2014, 07:57 PM   #123
Banned

Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermaine76
If 2K wanted to put out another generic game, they need to aggressively market the game to death. They did a horrible job marketing APF2K8. Just go on YouTube and look at the press conference they had with Jerry Rice. It looked like they rented out a small conference room at the local Comfort Inn and had FedEx Office design the wallpaper in the background.
Yeah, that was brutal. But they had a very small budget to work with. The problem is, they put so much of it towards signing legends that they had practically nothing to throw elsewhere.
Old 06-13-2014, 08:10 PM   #124
Rookie

I just wish 2k could get a NFL license for pc at least, since nobody makes a game for pc. If EA has a exclusive locked up for that too, and doesn't even use it, that is just wrong. It shows they are scared IMO
Old 06-13-2014, 08:11 PM   #125
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaceMask
Yeah, that was brutal. But they had a very small budget to work with. The problem is, they put so much of it towards signing legends that they had practically nothing to throw elsewhere.
I know. I'm a distant relative of Chuck Foreman and his brother told me he was paid $50 grand to be in the game. I heard O.J. got $150 grand.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2014, 08:18 PM   #126
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigDaddyHolmes
I just wish 2k could get a NFL license for pc at least, since nobody makes a game for pc. If EA has a exclusive locked up for that too, and doesn't even use it, that is just wrong. It shows they are scared IMO
Lol you mean like they did with the ESPN license?
Old 06-13-2014, 08:32 PM   #127
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Lol. "Scared" doesn't really apply when it comes to business. While they are making a football game, the business world doesn't run off of football rules, so them "being scared" doesn't mean jack. In fact, strategically speaking, they did exactly what they needed to do to protect their investment. Obviously they were feeling the heat from 2K, especially when they released NFL 2K5 for only $20. Why wouldn't they lock up the licenses agreement? It only makes sense from their perspective.

Also, from what I recall I think the NFL was actually the one shopping the agreement around so it was either they pay up for it or they lose the madden franchise entirely. While the exclusive deal is what is causing the debacle that is now NFL games, there is no way you can blame EA for doing what they did. Any sane person would have done it in the same situation
Old 06-13-2014, 08:37 PM   #128
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by hanzsomehanz
TakeTwo is a product of their own football game demise: they undersold a valuable product whose immediate competitor (EA) had more power.

If this ttrend stuck, would it be realistic or even reasonable to continue selling NFL video games for far less than NBA titles?

2K hurt their own pockets and in a passive aggressive way they slapped the NFL in the face by cheapening the product with such low standards for price points.

I was on a strictly EA Sports diet when NFL 2k and other competitors were around - EA had that power over me. It was not until NBA Elite dropped that I dropped my bias affection for EA.

Since then, we have seen NCAA Football drop and that title had no immediate competition, similar to Madden.

It is fair to conclude that EA can be the target of their own worst enemy. I am less loyal to EA based on their product value alone, nothing else matters.

NBA2K11 was a dream come true for me that I would never have experienced had EA delivered a valuable product that was in line w the standards of the day.

Competition can be a fickle matter

I learned in the movie JOBS that Steve Jobs preached to be different and in effect "challenge yourself to be uniquely great".

Who was JOBS competitor when he dropped the iPod?

It was this attitude of pioneering greatness and having a steadfast desire to satisfy the consumer's social status cravings that propelled Apple to the pinnacle of businsss sucess - Most Valuable Company in the World!

Creating a valuable brand always begins with your willpower and vision: the onus is on EA Tiburon and nobody else.

How is it that the most popular sport in America is not the highest selling sports video game title in America?

Madden currently serves more as a fix for the addict than it does a box of chocolates for a lover.

Is it possible for Madden to produce a ★★★★★ product annualy? Based on their financial resources, human capital talent, exclusive license, and brand power: I believe it is complacent and unjust for them not to.

A company like Apple does not need exclusive rights: they are forever blazing a trail for followers.

Jobs made it not only his job but his passion to ensure that every consumer be the utmost proud of his product / their purchase - he wished to suffer them no remorse, no shame: but pure joy and satisfaction.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk
GREAT POST!
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »