Home

EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

This is a discussion on EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-13-2014, 09:11 PM   #129
All Star

OVR: 21
Re: EA Still Owns the NFL License Exclusively

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP

Also, from what I recall I think the NFL was actually the one shopping the agreement around so it was either they pay up for it or they lose the madden franchise entirely. While the exclusive deal is what is causing the debacle that is now NFL games, there is no way you can blame EA for doing what they did. Any sane person would have done it in the same situation
People forget that it wasn't just the NFL that went exclusive that week. I forget what the time frame was, but within a couple weeks the NFL, NCAA, and Arena League all went exclusive. And all the licenses went to EA. There's no way it was all coincidence. I'd go so far to say it was a concerted effort by EA Sports to lock up as many properties as they could before 2K or Sony could react. Let's not forget how close the NBA was to signing an exclusive agreement during that time frame. Fortunately David Stern (if I recall correctly) was having none of that. 2K takes a consolation prize with partial exclusivity for MLB baseball which kills EA's MVP Baseball and the rest is history.

Yes the NFL deserves blame, but there's no way anyone can say EA wasn't complicit in trying to eliminate any competition it had. There's no way all those exclusive licenses signed within a relatively short time frame within each other and was just a coincidence.

So it's not a stretch to say EA was scared.

XBL gamertag: d0meBreaker22 (that's a zero)

congrats Steelers, city of Pittsburgh, and Steeler Nation - SIX TIME WORLD CHAMPS
Old 06-13-2014, 09:58 PM   #130
Banned

OVR: 10
Every year people get on here and criticize the games that show only limited amounts of footage. Seeing yourselves up for complete humiliation. You still buy the games, and put federal reserve notes in the pockets of these companies.

Now, as for 2k, knowing the fan base is like a cult, or a side chick who signed a contract to stand by no matter what. 2k could have made a game by now especially college basketball. IMO there is a huge lack of quality sports game developers. Rex claimed they have ex-players on staff, this could be something new. The new madden does look good, and even still is lacking so much. They would do themselves justice to never reveal anything till the game came out. You people will never be happy. And quite frankly me either. I played the sports at a pretty high level, and understand the games over coached winners and by no means are ANY OF THESE GAMES CLOSE TO THE REAL LOGICAL ASPECTS OF THE SPORTS. Graphics are one thing we need good graphics, gameplay is another- but how can you mimic real player physics in a game? It's impossible. Unless their using the wrong Science and tech, or they have the wrong people working on these games. Period. They still don't have weight vs. Movement correct. Gm logic in setting up your franchise, our the thinks that can happen in these leagues from retraction, conferences, and relocation, salary cap, and expansion. These games are lacking, even 2k. They will never please everyone. So stop complaining. Because your still paying.

Flood the offices with letters, offer stop buying till then just chill.

They made adjustments from what the community asked about, from their forums, not OS forums.

You should blame 2k for not putting up that money, or taking the rush to make a college game, give the people what they want, they all need to stop putting games out every year, but this is known, why would they stop when we but every year? Lol. Get real. Ronnie 2k and 2k should be ashamed of themselves for starting the breastfeeding in games with these points. Then they don't work. Serious! Look at all the college basketball that we've missed in the last 4 years. Look at all the good football we've missed, these disks should last more than one year. If they want to eliminate used games, make games ever 2-3 years and just do a large scale update via the cloud. It's simple. But it's all a waste, the plastics, the paper, the money from us and them, and the hours. It's a waste.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:03 PM   #131
MVP

hanzsomehanz's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantBlue76
Rex's challenge aside, he has passion and I believe he genuinely does care about this product. However, one of the main differences between him and someone like Jobs (other than the obvious) is that Jobs had some of the smartest, most talented developers working for him. Tiburon does not... When I say developer, I mean the actual PROGRAMMER writing the code. That's where it all goes bad for these guys. Rex can have some of the best ideas in the world. Without the programmers to build it, no one will ever know.
EA being the wealthiest sports video game developing company lacks talent in the programming depatment?

How do you find the facts to back this up so we can avoid making a bias objective out of this argument? Is it they cannot afford the best or cannot recruit the best? Or they simply want subpar programmers?

For so long people continue to blame subpar results on lack of competence - smh: this is the game developed because this is the funned up, simpler, quicker game the suits above Rex want to develop and deliver.

Imagine though what Madden would be like if Jobs manned the ship at Tiburon: he would jump ship if he did not get his way to make this product the best dammned sports video game product American Football enthusiasts could have ever imagined.

It is easy to point to talent after one's success comes to fruition but Microsoft was always Jobs competition to the Mac: consider the story of the group he started with and you will get a brighter perspective of what actually drove the results.

It is not much different now or then between EA and TakeTwo than it was now and then betwen Gates and Jobs or M v M.

Jobs was a leader that could drive success out of you when you could not see the potential yourself.

EA CAN certainly drive better results than they currently are with the current team: at a faster pace and at a higher rate of performance.

Sent from my SGH-I727R using Tapatalk

Last edited by hanzsomehanz; 06-13-2014 at 10:27 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2014, 10:04 PM   #132
Pro

Robo COP's Arena

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22
People forget that it wasn't just the NFL that went exclusive that week. I forget what the time frame was, but within a couple weeks the NFL, NCAA, and Arena League all went exclusive. And all the licenses went to EA. There's no way it was all coincidence. I'd go so far to say it was a concerted effort by EA Sports to lock up as many properties as they could before 2K or Sony could react. Let's not forget how close the NBA was to signing an exclusive agreement during that time frame. Fortunately David Stern (if I recall correctly) was having none of that. 2K takes a consolation prize with partial exclusivity for MLB baseball which kills EA's MVP Baseball and the rest is history.

Yes the NFL deserves blame, but there's no way anyone can say EA wasn't complicit in trying to eliminate any competition it had. There's no way all those exclusive licenses signed within a relatively short time frame within each other and was just a coincidence.

What I'm saying is it's not a matter of if they were "scared." At all. Nobody gives a damn, especially not them. Because they are at the top of the game right now. This is how the free market in America works currently. They saw a way to eliminate their competition and did it. It was a great decision on their part really.

I understand the whole being mad about how it panned out and there being no competition to push the games forward, I hate that too. But let's be realistic and stop trying to villainize EA for doing what made the most sense and benefited their company. We all would have done the same thing had we been put into that position
Old 06-13-2014, 10:12 PM   #133
MVP

OVR: 12

Quote:
Originally Posted by BizDevConglomerate
They made adjustments from what the community asked about, from their forums, not OS forums.

You should blame 2k for not putting up that money, or taking the rush to make a college game, give the people what they want

Serious! Look at all the college basketball that we've missed in the last 4 years. Look at all the good football we've missed
Some key points you are wrong about. EA bought the rights to keep NCAA football exclusive as well, so 2k couldn't have made a college football game if they had wanted to.

The NCAA decided that it wanted too much money up front for the college basketball titles. While there was never an exclusive agreement signed for NCAA basketball by either party, the cost was so high that it would not justify any game company wasting resources due to the low sales volume that both the EA and 2Ks had.

The NCAA killed any future basketball titles itself, well before the court case had anything to do with college athletics.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:20 PM   #134
Banned

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by spankdatazz22

They were definitely scared of having to slim down their profit margins for Madden over 2K5's price drop. And that's not conjecture, EA officials are on record showing serious worry about it in memos obtained during the Pecover V. Electronic Arts case. The Paynter documents are especially interesting to that end.

It's always both bothered me and amused me a bit that there is a story about what happened that everyone believes (a lie), and what actually happened as the case documents show (the truth). The gulf is large. When empty challenges get issued, it just re-ignites my anger, because people who aren't aware will actually come away thinking this thing is an open playing field. It's a real shame.
Old 06-13-2014, 10:34 PM   #135

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by RUFFNREADY
Why doesn't someone, who is super wealthy, just jump on board with 2K, and purchase the rights from the NFL, and make the DAMN game already? Rich people do play videogames too...(maybe)
You look at rich people around the world, throwing away money like a Kleenex, everyday ie. Big parties, a dozen fancy cars; 3 or more Mistress'; failing Major League franchises; Crappy restaurant chains! Why can't they give Us something that resembles the NFL? (my plea) lol
Well, madden it is.
cheers
Lol, if only it were that easy...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-13-2014, 10:36 PM   #136
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo COP
I understand the whole being mad about how it panned out and there being no competition to push the games forward, I hate that too. But let's be realistic and stop trying to villainize EA for doing what made the most sense and benefited their company. We all would have done the same thing had we been put into that position
Not really. Everyone isn't motivated by pure greed. Business is business so I understand the move, but as a gamer/consumer it's trash. If they gave us the best product they could after the fact, it'd be a totally different story. They made themselves the villain.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »