Home

Madden NFL 15 Trailer - Tackling Mechanics

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Trailer - Tackling Mechanics within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-17-2014, 03:25 AM   #97
Rookie

NicVirtue's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 15 Trailer - Tackling Mechanics

I think player movement as a whole needs to be redone, before focusing on the ball carrier. But I have a feeling that IF they do address it, they will just find a bandaid fix to the horrible locomotion, instead of rebuilding it.
Old 07-17-2014, 11:54 AM   #98
MVP

DBMcGee3's Arena

OVR: 7
So, you don't have to play defense from the reverse angle, right?
Old 07-17-2014, 11:59 AM   #99
MVP

Cowboy008's Arena

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by DBMcGee3
So, you don't have to play defense from the reverse angle, right?
No you don't.
Old 07-17-2014, 12:33 PM   #100
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsofthevalley
The MAIN thing that the Madden team needs to fix most expediently is the running animations!! This ONE fix alone will increase the immersion level. While the running animations have been improved significantly over the years, there's one thing missing, the hip movement. There's damn near NO swing in the midsection/hip area, thats the reason why, even after all of the graphics and animation improvements, the players still look stiff when running the ball.

The players entire midsection/hip area is like a concrete slab without any prominent movement or swing to it. When running, while the arms are pumping, the top half of the body moves independent from the belly button down, when the left arm comes up, the top half of the body is moving (sometimes ever so slight, depending on the speed of the run) to right, and vice versa. This was represented on the early generation consoles, PS2 and Xbox specifically, so I know it can be done. Thats where your problems are with the animations gents.
I think this may be a personal preference thing really...IMO, 2K series did just the opposite of Madden in this regard - they had player movement that swiveled through the hips like a Salsa Dancer on Meth. The running animations for 2K always looked "off" to me because of the exaggerated hip turns and swivel FOR EVERY PLAYER...there was no variation in that part of their player locomotion - linemen, RBs, DBs, WRs....ALL had the same swivel-y hip rotation.

The answer is probably somewhere in that happy median between the two (EA and VC/2K) approaches. The other thing VC/2K did was utilize longer playing animations that look prettier but also can feel like you're losing control of the game if you have been playing Madden for any length of time historically. I know that this bothered me tremendously back when Madden 2005 and NFL 2K5 were first released. It was not until years later and frustration at the lack of progress in Madden made me revisit 2K that I was able to appreciate the subtleties of that game...but even then I was always bothered on a subliminal level by the player movement.

I think FIFA and NBA2K series have struck a better balance in the way player's upper and lower bodies move in concert than any football game has to date.
Old 07-23-2014, 02:01 AM   #101
Banned

Re: EA Sports Madden 15 Tackling Mechanic

Quote:
Originally Posted by SageInfinite
The animations actually looked good there, except those tackles where it's like a WWE shoulder charge. Those have got to go Tiburon. If you gonna have those power hits the defender has to go down as well. This ain't wrestling. I'm trying to believe they're taking the sim route, but leaving stuff like this in, it's hard to tell.
Right, if you gonna have these types of big hits in the game, at least make the defenders be affected by the hit too. They should fall to the ground as well or at least have the momentum from the big hit carry them forward into a stumble or some type of change of motion after landing a hit, currently in Madden defenders stop on a dime and pose after landing some big hits which is very unrealistic and does not look right. It would be amazing to see a defender make a big hit, fall to the ground and the defender ends up getting hurt! I really don't know what the guys in the animations department are doing, it's like they have no clue.

Last edited by Mr.Smif; 07-23-2014 at 02:45 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-23-2014, 03:02 AM   #102
Banned

Also their are too many solid tackles, their need to be more struggle tackles or tackle attempts. Backs, receivers, and even some quarterbacks are not going down without a fight. Right now you either get tackled or you break the tackle, their needs to be some in between.
Old 07-23-2014, 05:13 AM   #103
Rookie

HingleMcCringleberry's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Smif
Also their are too many solid tackles, their need to be more struggle tackles or tackle attempts. Backs, receivers, and even some quarterbacks are not going down without a fight. Right now you either get tackled or you break the tackle, their needs to be some in between.
Well they would have to do this without the animations where they carry the defender and tumble forward an extra 15 yards while your other defenders just stand there and watch. I have a feeling that if they went for a happy medium, that's more along the lines of what they would come up with.

Last edited by HingleMcCringleberry; 07-23-2014 at 05:16 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »