Home

Madden NFL 15: Top Rookies

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15: Top Rookies within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 07-22-2014, 11:39 AM   #137
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: Madden NFL 15: Top Rookies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robrain
That wouldn't really make sense because in Madden 25's CFM mode the only stats for O-linemen that you can upgrade with XP points are their RBK, PBK, and IBK. There is no mechanism in place to upgrade their run-block-footwork or run-block-strength, etc. Why those stats are still in the game is far more confusing when they don't even show up on the standard player stats roster screen for CFM mode is far, FAR more confusing than implementing a functional system that takes into account each player's height and weight in the proper scenarios.
Already clarified about CFM in a post before yours.

Taking into account height and weight would be fine, sure, but again it misses my original point of how much height and weight matter vs the discrete ratings which are supposed to already tell me how that player performs.

Speaking with my game design hat on, "enough" isn't an adequate descriptor for determining how much strength vs weight should matter. Where's the line? What if I have a 180 lb player with 99 STR and a 330 lb player with 70 STR crashing into each other, who wins and by how much? How much does weight matter vs how much does STR matter?

It's fine to say all these ideals, but you have to get down to the nitty-gritty and explain how each detail applies and how much for it to make sense to do.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:43 AM   #138
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
So by assumption from what this tweet says, the game operates differently in user-user games than user-CPU games? Odd, to say the least.
Seems to me that he implied that those ratings are used in neither user-vs-CPU nor user-vs-user. He seemed to be saying that they are only used in CPU-vs-CPU games currently, meaning simulating games in CFM mode.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #139
Tecmo Super Bowl = GOAT

charter04's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Seems to me that he implied that those ratings are used in neither user-vs-CPU nor user-vs-user. He seemed to be saying that they are only used in CPU-vs-CPU games currently, meaning simulating games in CFM mode.

I even doubt they do anything in those games. Since they can't be upgraded
Old 07-22-2014, 11:45 AM   #140
Rookie

Quote:
Already clarified about CFM in a post before yours.

Taking into account height and weight would be fine, sure, but again it misses my original point of how much height and weight matter vs the discrete ratings which are supposed to already tell me how that player performs.

Speaking with my game design hat on, "enough" isn't an adequate descriptor for determining how much strength vs weight should matter. Where's the line? What if I have a 180 lb player with 99 STR and a 330 lb player with 70 STR crashing into each other, who wins and by how much? How much does weight matter vs how much does STR matter?

It's fine to say all these ideals, but you have to get down to the nitty-gritty and explain how each detail applies and how much for it to make sense to do.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Momentum

Application to collisions

Elastic collision of equal masses:

Elastic collision of unequal masses:

Last edited by Robrain; 07-22-2014 at 11:51 AM.
Old 07-22-2014, 11:48 AM   #141
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
I appreciate you completely dodging my question. I know what momentum and physics are, that's not sufficient to address the problem I described.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-22-2014, 12:08 PM   #142
Rookie

Quote:
I appreciate you completely dodging my question. I know what momentum and physics are, that's not sufficient to address the problem I described.
My answer is dead simple: it's not the job of the people in these forums to program the game for the developers.

As a gamer, I EXPECT a company that's generated over $4 billion in Madden revenue:

http://money.cnn.com/2013/09/05/tech...ion/madden-25/

To be able to hire programmers that are good at math and are paid to figure those equations out and get the numbers right.

Because it's not like physics is this ultra-mysterious class of mathematics at this point in history. Not at the relative scale that would need to be implemented to create a football game.
Old 07-22-2014, 12:18 PM   #143
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Man this thread is full of frustration and disappointment, in relation to Madden. I wonder who comes up with some of the stuff at Tiburon, namely the User control being at odds with the influence of ratings. It's ironic that a game that's constantly being explained to be so convoluted and complicated at the coding level also seems so archaic. For example, dline/online being linked, wr/db/ball linked, defenders/ball carrier linked, ratings that are just numbers vs numbers for win/loss, etc.

The discussion about foot work is just a shame, imo, considering that blocking foot work actual exists and matters in real football and it seems they could mo cap different tiers/skill levels of it, to tie to ratings.

Gotmadskillzson has been pointing things like this out for years. http://www.operationsports.com/forum...hand-hand.html
Old 07-22-2014, 12:36 PM   #144
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
I thought this was already pretty well known, that the ratings drive everything and that height / weight are purely cosmetic. I suppose not...?

Which to me makes some sense. Why should a 300-lb player with 99 STR be stronger than a 200-lb player with 99 STR? They both have 99 STR, that should mean the same thing across all players. If the 300-lb player should be stronger, how much stronger? It just strikes me as a unwieldy game balancing can of worms best left closed.

Maybe I am not getting your point, but a 200lb guy with 90 strength would have a more dificult time dealing with a 300lb guy with 90 strength...CAuse the 200/b guy has to deal with an extra 100 lbs.

What needs to be done, if weight and height are not a factor than, even if 300lb player benches the same reps as a 200lb player - to represent the difference in weight, the 200lb player should be rated maybe an 80 str and the 300 lb player rated a 90 str....This, at this point in time, seems to be the only way to represent weight difference....else why would I not just have my 90 Str 200 lb guy run block? cause of other ratings? maybe if I adjust my sliders so blocking is better, but I think we all know, ratings really don't matter, it is sliders and game difficulty that matter, such as All-Pro or All-Madden....

It is a joke...don't even look at ratings, just adjust sliders and move on...

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »