Home

Madden NFL 15 Connected Franchise Videocast with Josh Looman

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 15 Connected Franchise Videocast with Josh Looman within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-07-2014, 08:54 AM   #81
MVP

RumbleCard's Arena

OVR: 8
Re: Madden NFL 15 Connected Franchise Videocast with Josh Looman

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheba2011
I wouldn't expect EA (or any other company) to put itself into a bad position when it is already involved in several litigation's over player likeness and allowing gamers to customize NCAA players. Do you want Madden to go the way of NCAA, where EA has to pay so much money to in legal fees and to plaintiffs that it's more cost effective for them to just shutter the game? How lenient to think a judge would be on EA the second time it faced these lawsuits?

While it may seem like they are ignoring their fan base, they are really following their legal team's advice and protecting their own assets.
You have repeatedly brought the issues of NCAA but are only looking at half the problem. One of the key issues with NCAA is that there is no association for the players in which a company like EA can strike a licensing deal with. Such as the NLFPA or NBPA. Without a licensing agreement they were exposed. They weren't sued by the NCAA or any group they had a licensing agreement with. They were sued by individuals who were not compensated or covered under the licensing agreement.

This would not apply to Madden as they have a player likeness licensing agreement with the NFLPA. So there's an argument here about the ability to edit existing names but not actual names itself.

Additionally any likeness created in the game should be viewed upon a player created under contract of the NFL or a FA. They have no issue with Madden having Free Agency and a created draft should be viewed upon as free agents available to the NFL under the NFLPA.

Your comparison to NCAA isn't really apples to apples.

The Golf Club Published Courses
The OsoV2
Big Leaf of South Texas
Mt. Turner - Island Links
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 09:55 AM   #82
Rookie

OVR: 3

Love all of the feedback guys! I am glad that most of you realize what a dedicated person Josh is to Connected Franchise Mode. He's also answering questions for us directly so be sure to keep 'em coming.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:25 AM   #83
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill
Love all of the feedback guys! I am glad that most of you realize what a dedicated person Josh is to Connected Franchise Mode. He's also answering questions for us directly so be sure to keep 'em coming.
Appreciate your work MrBill
Could you please ask Josh if he could expand a bit more (maybe a blog) on how the draft class randomizer will work. Just want to get some more insight as to how schools, names, skin tones and such will be determined.

I think one of the biggest collective fears with randomized classes, aside from potential wacky ratings, is the fact that skin tone for a character might not match the photo shown on the player profile or that type of thing

Also, one thing I never really understood from Josh's comments yesterday was: If the previous classes were "handcrafted", how is it possible we ended up with all the 70spd CB's? Just seems contradictory to me, one would imagine that was more likely with randomized classes and the solution would be to handcraft rookies

Final question, and probably the most important for me....
In the blog, he mentions how sim stats have been tweaked so that young players with potential have better stats... Could you please ask him about other changes to the sim enginge, especifically:
Was something done to qb completion %?!?!?!?
Was something done to the frequency in which starting qb's get hurt when simming?

THANKS!
Old 08-07-2014, 10:40 AM   #84
MVP

Sheba2011's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by RumbleCard
You have repeatedly brought the issues of NCAA but are only looking at half the problem. One of the key issues with NCAA is that there is no association for the players in which a company like EA can strike a licensing deal with. Such as the NLFPA or NBPA. Without a licensing agreement they were exposed. They weren't sued by the NCAA or any group they had a licensing agreement with. They were sued by individuals who were not compensated or covered under the licensing agreement.

This would not apply to Madden as they have a player likeness licensing agreement with the NFLPA. So there's an argument here about the ability to edit existing names but not actual names itself.

Additionally any likeness created in the game should be viewed upon a player created under contract of the NFL or a FA. They have no issue with Madden having Free Agency and a created draft should be viewed upon as free agents available to the NFL under the NFLPA.

Your comparison to NCAA isn't really apples to apples.
My comparison is that people want the ability to create actual NCAA draft classes. Madden has a licensing deal with the NFLPA and until those created players are part of the NFLPA (i.e drafted, signed as UDFA's) they are not protected under the PA's player likeness deal. That's all it takes is one Sam Keller to see himself in Madden for them to be right back in court. If you were an executive at EA would you put your company in that situation? Don't think of it as a gamer, think of it as a business owner. If you have already been involved in a few lawsuits for the same thing and that thing was part of the reason that caused you to lose one product. Why would you even take a chance with doing it again?

Last edited by Sheba2011; 08-07-2014 at 10:43 AM.
Old 08-07-2014, 10:50 AM   #85
Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBill
All I'm going to say is that for a good majority of SIM players it's very hard to get into your franchise if your a OFFLINE MODE user, when you have to draft fake players, I feel that the online players are being catered to and offline users are being ignored if there was a separate mode for offline....(completely separate) it be a better SIM game but whatever. I like all the additions but it still leaves much to Desire, I may pass on this year I'm undecided. To me it seems the reason we don't get custom draft classes is more of a ego thing Josh looman comes off as proud of his draft classes and the stories attached to them,in past interviews he was quoted saying that users like the boom or bust factor that you get with their rookies, I for one don't know anyone that loves a 90 ovr rookie. Just give us what we ask for and we are all good shouldn't be this hard.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-07-2014, 11:03 AM   #86
Rookie

EA, I know it won't make this years Madden, but in future versions at least give us the option to watch the other side of the ball. I guess it was taken out to make the games go faster, but I would bet in the NFL that most players watch at least 1/2 of the other side of the ball...especially in close games. If the other team returns a punt for a TD, I'd like to see that. If I'm a QB but my defense causes a sack fumble and its retuned for a TD, I'd kinda wanna see that...it's like you guys have removed 1/2 of the game. This may be good for some of your players, maybe it does not effect online play (I would not know)....but you guys are squeezing out your original Franchise guys. Please in future titles, at least make it a simple toggle "on/ off" switch. Don't pigeon-hole us all into playing the game the way you feel it should be played.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:36 PM   #87
Rookie

OVR: 1

To the poster who triple posted about not knowing anyone who likes the boom/bust factor of the created draft classes or having some high rated rookies, allow me to introduce myself. The rookie classes that were initially created in Head Coach that carried over to Madden were the best draft classes the game has ever seen, IMO. I still create Jack English and add him to a team before starting my franchise.

I wish there was an option for those draft classes to be used for offline franchise, I'd even pay a little extra if it were DLC. Random draft classes should be fine, so long as the attributes don't get wacky.

One thing that is annoying and immature is the whining about how EA can just slap an option into the game when it really isn't as easy as it appears. Josh alluded to this when he mentioned the roadblocks the team faced with custom draft classes (issues with importing and exporting). Couple that with the recently resolved legal case against EA and I just don't see that option being implemented any time soon. It's not as easy as just adding some more 'logic programers' to the team.

Could certain game modes or options use more work? Certainly, at least based off last years game, but so far I've been pleasantly surprised with the work the Madden team has done on this year's edition and I look forward to trying it out myself in the coming weeks.
Old 08-07-2014, 12:51 PM   #88
Rookie

Let players upload their Superstar to EA who releases weekly draft classes and scouting reports for exciting (User) players entering the draft. Every week, new Superstars will be created by players, and existing superstars' stats will increase with use. Thats how you keep people playing CFM year round.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »