Home

Ever notice Madden would sometimes seem to "Cheat" or go full "Beast Mode" on you?

This is a discussion on Ever notice Madden would sometimes seem to "Cheat" or go full "Beast Mode" on you? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 11-19-2014, 04:53 PM   #41
Banned

OVR: 5
Re: Ever notice Madden would sometimes seem to "Cheat" or go full "Beast Mode" on you

The more I know about this game, the less I want to play it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2014, 11:19 AM   #42
Just started!

OVR: 0
Re: Ever notice Madden would sometimes seem to "Cheat" or go full "Beast Mode" on you

Yup and it gets real funky when I come out pass audible to a run and see the defense shift and move around to stop the run
Old 11-20-2014, 11:26 AM   #43
EA Sports' Equipment Guru

KANE699's Arena

OVR: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by trey31
What makes you think I'm not a software programmer?

I'm not, but I do have a friend that works for a dev up in WA area that works on a fairly popular multi-platform F2P game. I'm a hardware guy myself, but I know a little bit about a little bit of how some types of games "work" so to speak. And I've contributed on some mods and done some of my own stuff as well. The way I've stumbled upon PLYT function actually has a simple explanation; I'm building a 70+ formation, 800+ play playbook for 08. It only has roughly 15 route concepts though so its really pretty simple to run/use.

Unfortunately that traces back all the way to SNES. IRL the idea is to make throws that aren't open yet, but will be when the ball arrives; in Madden it is a balance of waiting as long as possible on a route that is already open before making the throw, to increase the distance of other defenders from making the "mystical magic pass defense maneuver", versus waiting too long and watching the window close as another defender enters the area. If the NFL is all about small windows, then Madden is all about barn doors.

Supersim is its own beast entirely. From what I have read about it, it functions differently than regular siming, and also works differently from in-game play as well. I remember on 09 (I think) playing a game and going into supersim to get through the 4th quarter. Well the supersim play-by-play went something like 5 or 6 plays before it froze and the whole game needed rebooted; needless to say I rebooted the save and went into supersim again and low and behold the supersim gave the exact same play-by-play stats the second time as it had the first, except it didn't freeze that time. I tested it again on the next game of the season and it wasn't identical but the results were nearly the same after 3 or 4 sim-then-quit sessions, so I permanently gave up on supersim right then and there. Never used it again. So I wonder if it isn't just something that the supersim script loads at the start of each game and then goes by regardless of score or not?

Still worth a shot to put your knowledge to use.

Follow me on twitter @Equipment_Guru
Old 11-20-2014, 05:23 PM   #44
Pro

trey31's Arena

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by carlito1171
This is a problem I've always had with Madden. You can't "throw people open" like you would in real life. Very rarely can you throw to a spot and complete the pass without the defenders becoming psychic and responding to your button press. You have to wait until the reciever gets open, and then hope that the window is big enough to where these psychic CPU defenders can't pick it off, even if they are looking elsewhere when you throw it.
Exactly. And the worse part is the simple use of AWR rating with a multiplier could fix the issue almost entirely. It will still be based off of timed animations, which obviously doesn't happen in real life, but at least it would give the game a huge upgrade in terms of the way it handles ball awareness (or doesn't).

Quote:
Originally Posted by treq21
The more I know about this game, the less I want to play it.
Haven't given money to EA for Madden (nor most of their other games) since sometime before 09. I still bought them, just second hand.

I had a roommate back in the day when WoW first came out who was certifiably addicted to it; I was never interested in it, but I didn't judge him for it because I'm pretty sure the closest I've ever been to being addicted to a videogame was probably Madden 2005. Everything since then has appealed to me less and less. To the point that I used to play M05/M06 on PS2 rather than 07 or 08 or 09 on PS3 even though I had them. Only thing that brought me permanently to PS3 was the picture quality on PS2 after upgrading to a 65" TV. 480i was so hard to look at on it when everything else I played looked so good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KANE699
Still worth a shot to put your knowledge to use.
The sad part is the opportunity that EA has squandered all these years that could have resulted in much better games (and tons more revenue); because of the size of the Madden fanbase (and the lack of a competitor) they could have tapped into a huge crowd based development resource.

I'm not talking about the numerous posters who complain every year about not having enough of this or blah blah blah that; I'm talking about the numerous people who religiously test game play and penalty sliders every year (guilty), or the guys who write programs to edit rosters or mod a seven year old PC game. The ones who spend countless hours trying to make Madden more than it is, and do it for others by posting their results on OS and similar forums, are doing all of it for free and yet none of their discoveries ever make it into the game.

All EA would have to do is grab a couple of guys and give them the job of organizing all of these free resources into a crowd based development team that does nothing except improve the existing game structure. Thats it really. The mission statement: "to extensively test the current game, to outline areas of needed improvement, to organize the feedback into relevant information to help improve the game, in order to allow game development to evolve rather than re-invent itself."

But no, its business as usual; rollout the new cover and change the names and pictures in the roster database.
Old 11-20-2014, 06:43 PM   #45
MVP

OVR: 1

I think it also cheats in MUT auctions. More than once I'm bidding on a player and "someone" comes in for the buyout at an incredulous amount. Just today I was bidding on Kenny Britt, OVR 83, speed run at 1500 coins. There were other Kenny Britt's at 1500--one bid, 1700--no bids, 1800--no bids, and buyouts at 3500 and 4000. "Someone" comes into my Kenny Britt and buys him out at 7100 coins! Oh sure, why buy him out at 3500 or 4000 when you can get him at 7100.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 11-20-2014, 10:01 PM   #46
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathteacherct
I have noticed that the AI gets much better in two-minute drills and 2nd half. I can have a great first half and then have 3 turnovers in the first minute of the 3rd qtr to bring the game back to a close game. It almost never fails. Granted, some of the ints were my fault, but the number of fumbles in the 3rd qtr is absurd.

Once the half hits the 2 min mark, I have to keep the ball out of the AI hands. I can't stop any pass, even guys in triple coverage, and they get passes off when the QB has defenders all over him. He even gets nailed and doesn't go down. The AI def in the 2 min seems about the same. But since it's impossible to complete a long pass now, I have no ability to run a 2min drill. I have to go short to the sidelines, but the computer can bomb out an 80 pass or have the RB break a million tackels for a 90 yard run.

Playoffs.... don't even think about playofffs!

CPU QBs for sure get better in 2 minute drills. It's night and day sometimes
Old 11-21-2014, 02:20 AM   #47
Rookie

meep316's Arena

OVR: 5

This has been so obvious, forever. Which is why I can't understand how there are offline only players. The whole fun part about Madden is the chess game, and outsmarting your opponent. You can't do that when the AI knows exactly what play you're calling, and always calls the perfect play to stop it (on all madden).

brb obvious passing situation
brb coming out in 4 wide HB draw
brb CPU comes out in run stopping formation

k
Old 11-21-2014, 05:31 AM   #48
Just started!

Easy fix when they r set up in 3-4 change play to pass and when in buckle change pass to run. I do that all the time [img]

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »