Home

Draft Changes for Future Madden Titles

This is a discussion on Draft Changes for Future Madden Titles within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-16-2015, 01:46 PM   #25
MVP

cusefan74's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Draft Changes for Future Madden Titles

Quote:
Originally Posted by NDAlum
I just made a cusefan74 character in NBA2K and made it look exactly like you...everybody knows it's you. Take me to court brah...

I'm kidding but c'mon son! I'm not sure you understand why EA was sued. They used player likeness for PROFIT. They made the default rosters and in turn made money off the player likeness of college athletes. If they made the rosters completely random they don't get in trouble.

I understand why they got sued. Maybe that's why they don't want editable draft classes anymore. Maybe they have been advised to stay away from that stuff since the lawsuit. Or maybe they are just jerks at EA and took it away because they are lazy, like cpu vs cpu play in franchise. Until they tell us we will never know for sure, but they won't tell us I'm sure.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2015, 02:34 PM   #26
Pro

Trick13's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeeAwesome
Allowing creation of players and their likenesses and sharing that with the community is "for profit" as well if "Customized Draft Classes" is the feature you're touting. Just think of napster. The design was for people to share non-copyrighted material, but the community took that idea and started sharing copyrighted material and Napster was shut down. The same will be true if EA allowed it.

The way to solve it is to allow customizable draft classes but don't let them to be shared. That's the safest thing to do. There are no more college sports video games for a reason....

Then how does NBA 2k get away with it? The fact that the feature is in a sports video game invalidates your point...

EA would have no liability what so ever from community shared "made up classes". And if that is the major concern, all it would require is a single line in the ELA, or terms of service prohibiting the use of college athletes likeness. The bigger point is I don't want to recreate the upcoming class as much as I want to have some control so that there are not 10 DTs with 80 + speed in every goram draft class.

Another issue within Madden draft is that players are seemingly pre-ranked as to their draft projection - which is really dumb as it does not take into consideration what teams are drafting at what pick. Let's say for argument sake that the Packers, Lions, Colts, 49ers, and Saints ended up with the top 5 picks in your first season - none of those teams need a QB. Then why would the top 3 projected picks be QBs? Makes no sense, particularly when those teams don't trade back with teams that actually need a QB. Maybe it is time to bring back "player roles" at least to some extent because I can't tell you how many times in a row the Jags, Jets, Raiders draft a QB in the 1st rd. For QBs at least I think the CPU should not draft a QB in the first rd for at least two drafts after doing so.

I would love to see sliders or difficulty settings for the following;

Trades - higher the slider or setting the more stingy the CPU would be
when trading with users.

Scouting - All Madden would be the equivalent of current scouting, except
DEV would be unavailable in scouting
All-Pro you would get letter grades for all "physical ratings" -
ie spd, agi, acc, str and inj as college inj history is known
Higher the setting the more proficient CPU teams will be at
talent evaluations, thus the CPU would get more accurate
and be more likely to "reach" according to projections to acquire
talent in the draft, if that talent fits a need and is under rated

Player DEV by CPU - higher slider/setting would give the CPU an
advantage in developing their players, particularly young
players, perhaps all players on CPU team would get 3 years
at one higher DEV level, or all CPU coaches would have
Game prep skill, or what ever

Preseason subs slider/setting for user teams - currently if you sim the
preseason your starters play the whole game - fix it EA -
provide a slider/ setting by qtr to dictate as the user who plays
how much in preseason....
Old 02-16-2015, 03:07 PM   #27
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

I think the real reason we won't see fully customizable and shareable classes is bc it would hurt sales of future years games. Sports games being a yearly release means things never change drastically from one year to the next its mostly a roster update. Give many people like myself the ability to create real NFL classes and I may start only buying madden every other year.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:21 PM   #28
MVP

Toupal's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I think the real reason we won't see fully customizable and shareable classes is bc it would hurt sales of future years games. Sports games being a yearly release means things never change drastically from one year to the next its mostly a roster update. Give many people like myself the ability to create real NFL classes and I may start only buying madden every other year.
I think you hit the nail on the head right there. There is no profit with customizable draft classes. However they can charge you extra for getting the rookie class trough MUT.
Old 02-16-2015, 06:26 PM   #29
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
Then how does NBA 2k get away with it? The fact that the feature is in a sports video game invalidates your point...

EA would have no liability what so ever from community shared "made up classes". And if that is the major concern, all it would require is a single line in the ELA, or terms of service prohibiting the use of college athletes likeness. The bigger point is I don't want to recreate the upcoming class as much as I want to have some control so that there are not 10 DTs with 80 + speed in every goram draft class.

Another issue within Madden draft is that players are seemingly pre-ranked as to their draft projection - which is really dumb as it does not take into consideration what teams are drafting at what pick. Let's say for argument sake that the Packers, Lions, Colts, 49ers, and Saints ended up with the top 5 picks in your first season - none of those teams need a QB. Then why would the top 3 projected picks be QBs? Makes no sense, particularly when those teams don't trade back with teams that actually need a QB. Maybe it is time to bring back "player roles" at least to some extent because I can't tell you how many times in a row the Jags, Jets, Raiders draft a QB in the 1st rd. For QBs at least I think the CPU should not draft a QB in the first rd for at least two drafts after doing so.

I would love to see sliders or difficulty settings for the following;

Trades - higher the slider or setting the more stingy the CPU would be
when trading with users.

Scouting - All Madden would be the equivalent of current scouting, except
DEV would be unavailable in scouting
All-Pro you would get letter grades for all "physical ratings" -
ie spd, agi, acc, str and inj as college inj history is known
Higher the setting the more proficient CPU teams will be at
talent evaluations, thus the CPU would get more accurate
and be more likely to "reach" according to projections to acquire
talent in the draft, if that talent fits a need and is under rated

Player DEV by CPU - higher slider/setting would give the CPU an
advantage in developing their players, particularly young
players, perhaps all players on CPU team would get 3 years
at one higher DEV level, or all CPU coaches would have
Game prep skill, or what ever

Preseason subs slider/setting for user teams - currently if you sim the
preseason your starters play the whole game - fix it EA -
provide a slider/ setting by qtr to dictate as the user who plays
how much in preseason....
It's not that they get away with it, it's that no one has tried. If I told you 10 years ago that we wouldn't have any college sports video games because players didn't want likeness in the game without getting a cut, you'd think I was crazy. All you need is that one collegiate player that can attract an army of lawyers to convince a judge that enabling video gamers to create likenesses and sharing with the world these rosters is illegal without compensation. Just one. It's not worth the risk as a video game company.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Old 02-16-2015, 07:52 PM   #30
Pro

Trick13's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JaymeeAwesome
It's not that they get away with it, it's that no one has tried. If I told you 10 years ago that we wouldn't have any college sports video games because players didn't want likeness in the game without getting a cut, you'd think I was crazy. All you need is that one collegiate player that can attract an army of lawyers to convince a judge that enabling video gamers to create likenesses and sharing with the world these rosters is illegal without compensation. Just one. It's not worth the risk as a video game company.

And yet 1 line in the terms of service, that the end user has to agree with in order to share files, eliminates any culpability for EA and gives 3/4 of their fan base a feature they want - seems to me that maybe EA isn't as greedy as I thought because I know several people who no longer buy Madden because EA sucks at generating draft classes.

Tell you what, EA since your lawyers are so freaking incompetent, then give us a draft class generation tool that allows us to set maximums and minimums for each position;

IE for TE you would get a min/max setting for each attribute, ht weight slider and a OVR max cap setting coupled with two settings for each position that would be A) top heavy, gem laden, balanced or random and B) weak, balanced, strong, or random.

The point is - either fire the jackwagon who thinks DTs are track stars or give the user some control of what the parameters are within the generation of the draft class because they are sucking the fun out of the draft year by year. And I am not the only one who is sick of it...
Old 02-16-2015, 11:09 PM   #31
Dynasty Guru

JaymeeAwesome's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick13
And yet 1 line in the terms of service, that the end user has to agree with in order to share files, eliminates any culpability for EA and gives 3/4 of their fan base a feature they want - seems to me that maybe EA isn't as greedy as I thought because I know several people who no longer buy Madden because EA sucks at generating draft classes.

Tell you what, EA since your lawyers are so freaking incompetent, then give us a draft class generation tool that allows us to set maximums and minimums for each position;

IE for TE you would get a min/max setting for each attribute, ht weight slider and a OVR max cap setting coupled with two settings for each position that would be A) top heavy, gem laden, balanced or random and B) weak, balanced, strong, or random.

The point is - either fire the jackwagon who thinks DTs are track stars or give the user some control of what the parameters are within the generation of the draft class because they are sucking the fun out of the draft year by year. And I am not the only one who is sick of it...
More sliders would work, or just allow customization locally for offline CFM. Allow the users themselves to control their drafts but also keeping themselves safe from lawsuits. That would solve it all, but like I said earlier that I would like them to invest their budget into in-depth scouting and more immersion on Draft day like the original post suggested.

Madden 15 Sliders: Realistic Game Stat Sliders for Madden 15

Madden 15 Dynasty: The NFL Reborn...
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-16-2015, 11:15 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 20

I hope the draft classes in the new Madden has more accurate player ages. I see waaaaay too many 24 year olds.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »