Home

Madden 16: Is Connected Franchise Sacrificing Realism? (Roundtable)

This is a discussion on Madden 16: Is Connected Franchise Sacrificing Realism? (Roundtable) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-01-2015, 08:16 PM   #41
Fino Alla Fine

KingTocco's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 16: Is Connected Franchise Sacrificing Realism? (Roundtable)

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JareBear
Here's my question...

What was wrong with Franchise Mode?

I played Franchise Mode year round

I had very few complaints. I loved how deep it was, and all the off-season was great (college all star game, role changes, staff management, training camp) on the last gen versions. Progression/Regression seemed pretty natural and organic, maybe I am remembering it wrong.

I don't really have, nor have I ever had, my finger on the pulse of the Madden community. Were people not playing Franchise Mode?

This transition to CFM, and the RPG elements that it incorporates, I'm not saying it is a failure and that I don't like it. I accept it, I know it is isn't going anywhere, but what was the original motivation/cause for the change? I kind of feel like they had a pretty decent thing going? Am I wrong? It wasn't about RPG elements as much as it was just about team/player management.

The RPG elements can be cool, if done correctly. Skyboxer has posted some great ideas to realistically incorporate stat goals/xp into the mode. I understand that they can add longevity/replayabilty/personal attachment to your roster.
Me and my buddy always say this exact same thing, I'm not really sure why they moved to CFM.

What was wrong with Franchise Mode? NOTHING

Lakers
Juventus

PSN: KingTocco
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2015, 08:30 PM   #42
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

OVR: 21

Quote:
Here's my question...

I had very few complaints. I loved how deep it was, and all the off-season was great (college all star game, role changes, staff management, training camp) on the last gen versions. Progression/Regression seemed pretty natural and organic, maybe I am remembering it wrong.

I don't really have, nor have I ever had, my finger on the pulse of the Madden community. Were people not playing Franchise Mode?

This transition to CFM, and the RPG elements that it incorporates, I'm not saying it is a failure and that I don't like it. I accept it, I know it is isn't going anywhere, but what was the original motivation/cause for the change? I kind of feel like they had a pretty decent thing going? Am I wrong? It wasn't about RPG elements as much as it was just about team/player management.

The RPG elements can be cool, if done correctly. Skyboxer has posted some great ideas to realistically incorporate stat goals/xp into the mode. I understand that they can add longevity/replayabilty/personal attachment to your roster.
Initially EA said by making CFM (combining franchise mode with superstar mode) it would allow them to improve both more each year because they were the same thing. In other words resources didn't have to get split between the 2 modes.

I wish they would go back and look at madden 05. It was a pretty solid franchise mode.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:36 PM   #43
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

I also would like to add another point. If I'm EA why do I add things to my game or a mode that no one asks for before an item that the community has asked for for years. Formation subs , weekly wrap up show, season ticker, practice squads , position battles etc

Wouldn't it be easier and more productive that way. Most of their own ideas disappear after a few years.
Old 06-01-2015, 08:47 PM   #44
Donny Baseball!

Skyboxer's Arena

OVR: 55

Quote:
Here's my question...

In a nut she'll for me but first a disclaimer :
I enjoyes M15 a lot. Accepted what it was and made the best of it. .

Now on to a quick response:
Everything trickles down. Franchise in of itself is fine for the most part. The issue is up stream.
There's not enough seperation from ok players to great players.
Yes we can look at a player and know ok that's Dez.. etc..
but in most cases you can have a player rated 15 points lower shut him down For the most part or at the least still limit major damage.
There really isn't any fear about who's on the field you have to defense or who you have to avoid on D.

Until there's some REAL player differences and repercussions for fielding certain players and having to look at things other than speed... then everything else is simply just for show.

I want to actually have roster management and player personnel matter much more than it does now.
That's just 1 aspect of a part of franchise that holds it back. Goals and XP already being discussed.
Hope I made sense..

Skyboxer OS TWITCH
STEAM
PSN: Skyboxeros
SWITCH 8211-0709-4612
XBOX Skyboxer OS
Old 06-01-2015, 08:57 PM   #45
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyboxer
In a nut she'll for me but first a disclaimer :
I enjoyes M15 a lot. Accepted what it was and made the best of it. .

Now on to a quick response:
Everything trickles down. Franchise in of itself is fine for the most part. The issue is up stream.
There's not enough seperation from ok players to great players.
Yes we can look at a player and know ok that's Dez.. etc..
but in most cases you can have a player rated 15 points lower shut him down For the most part or at the least still limit major damage.
There really isn't any fear about who's on the field you have to defense or who you have to avoid on D.

Until there's some REAL player differences and repercussions for fielding certain players and having to look at things other than speed... then everything else is simply just for show.

I want to actually have roster management and player personnel matter much more than it does now.
That's just 1 aspect of a part of franchise that holds it back. Goals and XP already being discussed.
Hope I made sense..
Great point. I would add that I wish the CPU would use its star players more. There are games where the CPU hardly throws at the best WR. I would love to have game plan to take away a power running game or an elite TE (ie Talib on graham 2 years ago).
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-01-2015, 09:04 PM   #46
MVP

OVR: 19
Well, to have a discussion about "Realism", that would mean having an in-depth analysis of Maddens gameplay mechanics.
Which is never done during this marketing phase.
Sure gamers hold such discussions, but none have "back stage" access to force the topic of "Realism" to be the forefront of discussion when devs make themselves available to market their designed focus points of the game.

Realism has "NEVER" been the focus of marketing buildup!!!
The slogan "If it's in the game, it's in the game" was just that, a slogan.
To be sacrificing "Realism" would require it to be the foundation from which all aspects of the game (concepts/programming/presentation/marketing) intent was to mimic as much of what a gamer would see on TV or in person.

In other words, "Realism" was the goal of the final product due to be sold.

So a "NO", from this gamers perspective.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:14 PM   #47
Banned

Big FN Deal's Arena

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmurphy31
I also would like to add another point. If I'm EA why do I add things to my game or a mode that no one asks for before an item that the community has asked for for years. Formation subs , weekly wrap up show, season ticker, practice squads , position battles etc

Wouldn't it be easier and more productive that way. Most of their own ideas disappear after a few years.
Imo, it's because enough of the community is already buying the game so EA doesn't care about them, it's all about trying to get new buyers. We all get it twisted whenever EA refers to "casuals", depending on the context, what EA means is people that are NOT buying the game or not playing a mode enough. The likely exception to this is MUT where retention matters because those buyers continually spend money. As far as us NFL gamers go, they figure marketing and the NFL brand get enough of those buyers so it's about adding elements outside of the NFL or real football in the actual game to entice those gamers which the NFL or football don't directly interest.

So yes, CFM is diminishing realism but it isn't a sacrifice because it isn't costing EA anything of consequence.
Old 06-01-2015, 09:21 PM   #48
MVP

jmurphy31's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
Imo, it's because enough of the community is already buying the game so EA doesn't care about them, it's all about trying to get new buyers. We all get it twisted whenever EA refers to "casuals", depending on the context, what EA means is people that are NOT buying the game or not playing a mode enough. The likely exception to this is MUT where retention matters because those buyers continually spend money. As far as us NFL gamers go, they figure marketing and the NFL brand get enough of those buyers so it's about adding elements outside of the NFL or real football in the actual game to entice those gamers which the NFL or football don't directly interest.

So yes, CFM is diminishing realism but it isn't a sacrifice because it isn't costing EA anything of consequence.
I will say this, albeit a small sample size. I teach hs sports marketing with the majority of my students are athletes. 10 years ago all they talked about was video games and how they were doing in their franchise. Some round even take the day off when fifa or NBA 2k came out. Now a lot don't even have a xbox one or ps 4. And those who do are playing games like COD. The ones who play sports games either play head to head or MUT. Not much franchise these days. Even when I talk to them about franchise mode they could really care less about it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »