Home

How many animations for ' Aggressive Catch '?

This is a discussion on How many animations for ' Aggressive Catch '? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2015, 04:16 PM   #57
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: How many animations for ' Aggressive Catch '?

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
I interpreted it the same way, the point I'm trying to make is that in the gameplay videos we have seen so far, every WR seems to be capable of coming up with these catches at a high rate. Now idk if it's bc of the difficulty level or bc the game was/is still being tuned, but I'd like to see rating play much more of a role. Now as it was already mentioned we have to wait to get the game to see, I was just trying to engage in discussion not saying any one person is right or wrong.
Yep, finally understood where you were coming from with the Tryree reference.

I will say as well as seeing some spectacular catches, I saw some good breakups on the ball, too.
Old 08-09-2015, 04:32 PM   #58
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Yep, finally understood where you were coming from with the Tryree reference.

I will say as well as seeing some spectacular catches, I saw some good breakups on the ball, too.
Agreed that and 2 player catch animations really make the game look more organic. Interested to see what happens if a WR and DB are engaged in a two player catch animation and you try to blow them up with a safety.

Something that worries me though is the actual football being part of pass break up animations. What I mean is the ball seems to react/behave the same way everytime a certain animation happens. The Joe Haden pass break up video in the E3 has me worried the most, every time I've seen that animation the ball pops back up high into the air. I'd like the ball to behave organically and not the same way every time a certain animation plays.
Old 08-09-2015, 06:01 PM   #59
ND

NDAlum's Arena

OVR: 29

I feel pretty good about all that we have heard so far. It doesn't bother me that the O can control what type of catch because I am holding out hope that ratings/traits matter. So many variables that we need to see play out!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Atlanta Braves Fantasy Draft Franchise | Google Docs History
NL East Champs 5x | WS Champion 1x (2020)
Old 08-10-2015, 04:56 PM   #60
MVP

kjcheezhead's Arena

OVR: 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
CPU will choose play ball or play receiver on their own. Most of this is based on awareness of the situation but there are also AI traits that drive this. I will say that making catches in traffic or while getting hit is much more difficult this year.

RE: the earlier question about an 'offensive advantage' I wanted to add that from my experience with the game, the offense usually has a pretty good idea of what catch they want at play call. For example, I associate RAC's with Slants and crossing routes. Possession catches with curls, comebacks and anything out breaking near the sideline. Aggressive catches with fades, posts and vertical routes. There is risk built into every catch type. Let me try and describe how it works.

Example:
I call a shot play (by concept -> Deep Pass -> Shot Plays). I have my wide out in one on one coverage down the sideline. I feel like he has a step on the CB, so I throw a high point pass and immediately look for RAC catch. The ball is headed to the back of the end zone. I realize this may require a possession catch... but the WR doesn't have as much of a step as I originally thought. This may be an aggressive jump ball situation. If I RAC or Possession and the DB goes up for play ball, I could be giving up an INT.
I switch to aggressive and go up, the receiver slows down and goes up with the DB, a multiplayer catch interaction triggers. This could end in a catch, knockout, INT, catch out of bounds, PI, etc. All viable outcomes for a multiplayer catch interaction.

Hope that helps show how we have risk/reward balance in the new catching system.
I also associate certain routes with these catch types, and I think most players would. This is why I think this sounds gimmicky. Routes that cross the field are natural "rac" catches, curls are the possession type and deep passes are usually aggressive types unless the wr can get it in stride. It's pretty much always situational.

Adding the extra button just opens the door to triggering bad animations because I accidentally hit the rac instead of aggressive or otherwise creating cheese by having users figure out how to abuse a certain catch type.

I don't see the need for it, or how it makes the game more authentic. I've never heard a wr Mic'd up on the sidelines saying things like "Aw man, I could've got more rac on that catch, but I went with a possession grab instead."

Last edited by kjcheezhead; 08-10-2015 at 05:56 PM.
Old 08-10-2015, 05:11 PM   #61
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I would think if there is a new element to the game that one isn't used to, the user would go in and practice before jumping in vs the cpu or online.

I know it's something I'll need to learn.

I'm all for a wide array of opinions, I just hope the people that feel it is gimmicky are wrong.

Last edited by roadman; 08-10-2015 at 05:28 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »