Home

How many animations for ' Aggressive Catch '?

This is a discussion on How many animations for ' Aggressive Catch '? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-08-2015, 09:01 AM   #25
Banned

Shady Mike's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: How many animations for ' Aggressive Catch '?

But in his defense (see most of yall probably don't even remember) EA has done exactly this TWICE before...taking an iconic catch from the prior season, animating it and putting that exact animation in the game that occurred and marketing the hell out of it...

Check it:

Madden 09:

*MIND YOU* this EXACT animation was not in any PRIOR or any SUBSEQUENT Madden game, therefore it was a GIMMICK.

Madden 10:

Look at exactly 20 seconds...I remember this was a new animtion for Santonio Holmes super bowl "leaning" fade animation...They introduced this (I believe) alongside the actual fade ROUTE...even though the actual game winning catch was much more extended and athletic by Holmes this is what they introduced and marketed.

(and don't even get me started on when they made EVERY QB run with the ball in 1 hand because of Mike Vick, and when they made every DB run with the ball because of Ed Reed...)

I think what JOS is saying is that the ONLY reason the catch animations were re-done is because of the ODB catch, thats not what I'm saying...

Let me make one thing perfectly clear: I am not doubting Rex's word when he said they spent multiple cycles on the catch animations. I BELIEVE THAT, but what I'm saying is the fact that the EXACT ODB catch animation is in the game obviously has something to do with marketing as well.

Last edited by Shady Mike; 08-08-2015 at 09:03 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2015, 09:07 AM   #26
Creative Director Madden

RexDEAFootball's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JOS1181
I didnt say anything about the multi player catch / defend animations. I said I believe that the aggressive catch gimmick ( and it is a gimmick ) was put in due to OBJ which is obvious considering all the other features over the years that crept into Madden once they happened the previous NFL season. My point will be proven once this system is dropped next year like all the others that came before it.
I appreciate your opinion but calling the feature a gimmick when you have not played the game yet? I am not sure what you feel is gimicky about a receiver coming back to the ball to catch it at the highest point.

I would also like to add that the aggressive catch mechanic also changes the path of your receiver as they move to catch. They 'fight back to the ball' with this mechanic which is something they have been asking for on the OS boards for years now. You can use this mechanic to bail yourself out of some bad reads and prevent what would have been clear INT's on M15.
Old 08-08-2015, 09:18 AM   #27
Banned

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
I appreciate your opinion but calling the feature a gimmick when you have not played the game yet? I am not sure what you feel is gimicky about a receiver coming back to the ball to catch it at the highest point.

I would also like to add that the aggressive catch mechanic also changes the path of your receiver as they move to catch. They 'fight back to the ball' with this mechanic which is something they have been asking for on the OS boards for years now. You can use this mechanic to bail yourself out of some bad reads and prevent what would have been clear INT's on M15.
Thanks for that info Rex.

Can you confirm whether the cpu controlled receivers will also use all the new catch mechanics and animations? I don't mean the receiver on your team, per se, but the receivers on the cpu controlled team if I am playing against the cpu.

Thanks for any clarification.

C
Old 08-08-2015, 09:27 AM   #28
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
If I'm in a no-switch online CFM, will I still be able to press the different catch buttons and have to cpu react, or do I have to physically switch to that player?

I understand thr CPU will choose for me if I press nothing, but can I still choose "play WR", "play ball", "aggressive", "RAC", and "possession" without hitting "circle" or "B" switching to the defender or pass catcher?
I would love some input on this too Rex!
Old 08-08-2015, 10:00 AM   #29
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball

The functionality of this is huge, especially for the competitiveness of the CPU.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-08-2015, 10:36 AM   #30
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

I get what you are saying Shady, but it depends how often the animation triggers. If I don't see it often, then I'm fine with whatever marketing they do with it.

I just don't think they are marketing the ODB catch loudly(yes, it's in the videos), but I haven't heard a peep from marketing since E3, 6 weeks ago.
Old 08-08-2015, 11:26 AM   #31
Just started!

I forget what interview but it will automatically trigger a certain catch if you don't switch to the receiver. I will try to find the link and post it.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-08-2015, 05:49 PM   #32
Creative Director Madden

RexDEAFootball's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
If I'm in a no-switch online CFM, will I still be able to press the different catch buttons and have to cpu react, or do I have to physically switch to that player?

I understand thr CPU will choose for me if I press nothing, but can I still choose "play WR", "play ball", "aggressive", "RAC", and "possession" without hitting "circle" or "B" switching to the defender or pass catcher?
Good question. We made a subtle change this year in that you have 'catch control' on your intended receiver as soon as the ball is in the air. This means you can trigger catch mechanics without having to worry about clicking on with B. So the answer to your first question is yes.
In order to gain left stick movement control of the receiver, you still need to click on with B.
On defense, you still need to click on with B to initiate user control to perform the new mechanics.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »