Home

How many animations for ' Aggressive Catch '?

This is a discussion on How many animations for ' Aggressive Catch '? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-09-2015, 09:14 AM   #41
Banned

OVR: 21
Re: How many animations for ' Aggressive Catch '?

I still think the human receivers will have an unfair advantage whether the user takes control or not. There is no indication that a cpu controlled team will have its receivers perform the same variation of catches and know when to implement an aggressive catch, a RAC, etc.

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2015, 09:15 AM   #42
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
Play receiver is a very powerful defensive mechanic due to much higher frequency of knockouts on RAC/Aggressive catches in traffic. Multiplayer catch interactions have largely resolved face catching, so that is another huge defensive equalizer.

Also keep in mind the AI will still perform all of these mechanics on both sides of the ball if you decide not to take user control.
These things have been said all along, but a lot folks are still worried about how well it's been tuned. They're concerned about the offence being OP, because that is usually the case in Madden, and all sports games truthfully. Defense doesn't get the love it deserves unless there are A.I. flaws in the offense. We've all got our fingers crossed on this one.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-09-2015, 09:28 AM   #43
Be Good To One Another

The JareBear's Arena

OVR: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
These things have been said all along, but a lot folks are still worried about how well it's been tuned. They're concerned about the offence being OP, because that is usually the case in Madden, and all sports games truthfully. Defense doesn't get the love it deserves unless there are A.I. flaws in the offense. We've all got our fingers crossed on this one.
My big hope is that the AI controlled defenders play man more often than I saw in the E3 video. I still saw a lot of the "playing ball despite not being in good position to do so" in those vids. Or at least having awareness be a big part of that decision making.

I understand why switching is required on defense. It would be nice for all the long standing no-switch leagues that play Madden every cycle get a little love there next year tho.

Bottom line is people from E3, and now Rex himself, have said AI will fully utilize all the mechanics on both sides of the ball now. I am very excited to test this on the 20th and see how well it is tuned and balanced.

For those in leagues, the way I see it there are really only two options for play style, either play strict no switch with no user input with ball in the air (which can be policed by keeping the visual indicator turned on so you would see if they are pressing aggressive catch or whatever) or you let guys pick catch type but also let guys switch on D to play ball or man. Not sure it would be fair to let guys influence catch but not let guys influence defender.

Either way:

I hope that big dominant WRs are a dominant factor this year and guys can't sit in cover 3/ man cover 0 all game anymore. It will be nice to game plan on defense knowing this guy might need help over the top or deciding to double team a WR who is beasting. I also hope that elite DBs (like my duo in Denver) play to their ratings and abilities and don't require me to switch at all to knock balls loose and play their WRs appropriately

OS Blog

The Tortured Mind Of A Rockies Fan. In Arenado I Trust.
Old 08-09-2015, 11:38 AM   #44
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by RexDEAFootball
The reason why we don't auto switch you on defense is many people don't feel comfortable clicking on to defenders in pass defense. On the flip side, guys who user control in the secondary didn't want to be auto switched. Based on extensive play testing, the decision was made to leave the system as is. Honestly I do not see it as a disadvantage. On D all you have to do is tap B and hold Y or A once the ball is thrown. Play receiver is a very powerful defensive mechanic due to much higher frequency of knockouts on RAC/Aggressive catches in traffic. Multiplayer catch interactions have largely resolved face catching, so that is another huge defensive equalizer.

The only reason we did the catch control without click on with B is due to concerns over timing. On shorter throws the windows to actually get your button press in before the AI triggers the catch animation can be very short. Taking the B click out of that equation tended to increase the frequency of users getting the catches they wanted.

Also keep in mind the AI will still perform all of these mechanics on both sides of the ball if you decide not to take user control.
I think you may have misunderstood me? I'm not sure where auto-switching comes in.. is that something new? And can it be turned off, if so?

My concern is that with the user on offense being able to determine the type of catch, they would be provided with the advantage of human intervention. If the user on defense cannot do this without switching to the defender in the area (which a lot of the OS online leagues do not allow) there might be a risk for the offense to have a big advantage because the defense has to rely on the CPU AI to make the correct type of play (on the ball or on the player) without the ability for the human player on D to intervene.

Does that make sense? I understand the CPU will use these mechanics, but I just fear a major disadvantage for those players that like to user the D-Line or LBs on long passes where the human offensive player can intervene, but the defensive player cannot.

I love that the catch control is done without having to switch on offense, I'm just concerned about the balance without the defense able to do it as well.

And it's great that you're here answering questions. This dev interaction is priceless and really helps, so thanks for taking the time.

Watch me play video games
Old 08-09-2015, 12:22 PM   #45
Pro

BreakingBad2013's Arena

OVR: 0

Also, can all WRs complete the 3 catches consistently? Will Danny Amendola and DeSean Jackson have just as much opportunity on a jump ball than Calvin Johnson and Mike Evans?

Will Stephen Hill be able to do possession catches just as well as Jason Avant or Wes Welker?

Is there a difference when these catches are triggered between a Dez Bryant and Dorial Green Beckham?

Do bigger DBs like Sherman, Keith McGill, and Brandon Browner have better success rates against aggressive catches against a smaller WR?

Last edited by BreakingBad2013; 08-09-2015 at 12:29 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-09-2015, 12:28 PM   #46
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreakingBad2013
Also, can all WRs complete the 3 catches consistently? Will Danny Amendola and DeSean Jackson have just as much opportunity on a jump ball than Calvin Johnson and Mike Evans?

Will Stephen Hill be able to do possession catches just as well as Jason Avant or Wes Welker?

Is there a difference when these catches are triggered between a Dez Bryant and Dorial Green Beckham?

Do bigger DBs like Sherman, Keith McGill, and Brandon Browner have better success rates on aggressive catches against a smaller WR?
If every receiver can make the same type of catch as well as any other receiver then that would be a complete failure in implementation. It could happen, but I'd be stunned if they made that big of a mistake.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:07 PM   #47
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsolo
If every receiver can make the same type of catch as well as any other receiver then that would be a complete failure in implementation. It could happen, but I'd be stunned if they made that big of a mistake.
In the madden Monday's video from 2 Monday's ago they talk about throwing jump balls to bigger wr's and using the aggressive catch button to go get the ball, they then promptly show luck throwing a jump ball to TY Hilton of all people and have him going up and making the grab with an aggressive catch, these are the oversights that worry me. Especially when user control wideouts every wideout is going to be capable of making every grab.
Old 08-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #48
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
In the madden Monday's video from 2 Monday's ago they talk about throwing jump balls to bigger wr's and using the aggressive catch button to go get the ball, they then promptly show luck throwing a jump ball to TY Hilton of all people and have him going up and making the grab with an aggressive catch, these are the oversights that worry me. Especially when user control wideouts every wideout is going to be capable of making every grab.
Well, to be fair, nothing should hold a smaller receiver from trying for a high-point catch. Steve Smith at 5'9 was one of the best in the game at that in his prime. But hopefully size plays a factor, where a shorter WR doesn't consistely go up and over a taller CB, unless the ratings dictate it should be so (maybe high AWR, high CIT, and high JMP ratings or something).

Hell, ODB isn't the tallest guy at only 6', but he's shown a great ability to high-point balls.

I'm very interested to see how all of this plays out in the game. It could be fantastic, or it could be a disaster, depending on how it's balanced.

Watch me play video games

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »