Home

Computer using custom playbooks in CFM

This is a discussion on Computer using custom playbooks in CFM within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-14-2015, 12:11 AM   #49
Pro

OVR: 7
Re: Computer using custom playbooks in CFM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vannwolfhawk
No that makes total sense! That's awesome! I'm curious to see what you find if playing cardinals again like last night and the difference with same playbook with tweaks made to schemes. I'd have to think they would pick plays to pass and be more aggressive on different non throwing downs to equal out to 70% pass to 30% run if set to 70/30 give or take depending on game situation if CPU is down or not. Add to that making sure each down and distance has proper plays and stars rated properly.

I'm wondering if you had 10 plays on 1st and 10 at 5 stars. 4 runs and 6 passes all star rated the same I'd be curious how the CPU would call between these plays and if they mix it up. I think that would be key as opposed to setting 2 plays at 5 stars, 2 at 4 1/2, etc. because then I'd assume the CPU would call the 2 5 star rated plays way to much. At least I'd assume this is how this should work.

You streaming now?
Yeah I'm about to. Just taking a little break. If you watch my streams, you can tell I'm not very good, especially on offense. My stick skills stink. LOL. But to be honest, I am more interested when the computer gets the ball to see what plays they run and how aggressive they are. I'm actually enjoying doing this. Granted, I'm not enjoying losing. But I'm really looking forward to 16. Even though it looks very similar to 15, there are a lot of little things added which combined with this workaround should make for the most immersive and realistic Madden yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2015, 12:13 AM   #50
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

This is looking great guys.

Vann, I swear by your playbooks on NBA2k so I'm excited to see what you can do with Madden.
Old 08-14-2015, 12:17 AM   #51
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

OVR: 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooch49
Yeah I'm about to. Just taking a little break. If you watch my streams, you can tell I'm not very good, especially on offense. My stick skills stink. LOL. But to be honest, I am more interested when the computer gets the ball to see what plays they run and how aggressive they are. I'm actually enjoying doing this. Granted, I'm not enjoying losing. But I'm really looking forward to 16. Even though it looks very similar to 15, there are a lot of little things added which combined with this workaround should make for the most immersive and realistic Madden yet.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk
Lol! To be honest every time you get the ball I hope you turn it over or I turn off and come back in a few minutes! Lol! All I was watching was CPU plays called and then wait to see what play they called after the play is over. I find it interesting to see. Id really like to see this go hand in hand with schemes and playbooks though so it's hard for me without seeing them both. Thanks so much for doing this! Much appreciated!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2015, 12:34 AM   #52
MVP

SwaggerCoach's Arena

OVR: 10

Gentlemen! I got it working!!

I noticed the game kept crashing (PS4) when the 2nd user (CPU - Giants) team got the ball on offense.

That profile was using a backup DE. I switched over to a backup QB and that seems to have solved it.

For good measure I switched over to the Giants coach and also cut a player to make sure the roster remained at 53...not sure if that has something to do with it. Also tweaked the scheme for them to better reflect their strengths.

1/2 way through a tight game...guys, this is playing MUCH better! I erased every single curls and screen pass concept from their playbook. Took my time evening out playbook priority on 1-4th down...minus the sacks, this game is playing like a dream!!

The CPU is actually fun to play against. 3rd and 10 isn't a guaranteed sack anymore. I have to really read and react instead of worrying about the same tiring 4-5 plays.

Giants QB Shaun Hill just hit ODBJ in the back corner of the end zone and it was beautiful!!! He's currently 8 for 13.
Giants are running as much as they are passing.

I can't wait to see what we come up with for 16!!! Thanks again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-14-2015, 12:37 AM   #53
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
This is looking great guys.

Vann, I swear by your playbooks on NBA2k so I'm excited to see what you can do with Madden.
Thanks and I'm crazy OCD with this type of stuff and it really eats at me to see bad CPU AI, but I by no means know football like I do basketball. I think I'd be good at getting the right variety in different play calls and right variety between run versus pass and I think I could find the right sets but guys like pgaither84 would be the guys I'd like to see do a few books.

Which makes me think we should start a playbook thread with guys focused on a team of their choice. I usually do this for the Seahawks and uploaded 1 last year with plays the Hawks ran when they had Percy Hardin. But I never went into detail with down and distance and star ratings as I just did it for me to use and I select all my plays without choosing CPU suggestions and what not.

Anyways, I'm not promising anything or the type of detail I did with nba2k. That took me hundreds of hours and I watched and took notes on not just real basketball games but every play in the game. I know football but not like a lot of you guys do here. Reading Gaithersburg posts I'm like wow! I can't see doing that for nfl. But like I mentioned earlier I'll probably do like the top 12 teams in the league or teams like Eagles with unique playbooks. Then I'd probably assign similar play style books to a few teams each for the bottom half of the league.

My main teams I'd really want to focus on would be....

Seahawks
Eagles
Broncos
Patriots
Packers
Colts
Cowboys
Pittsburgh
San Diego
San Francisco
Arizona
St. Louis
Atlanta
New Orleans
Detroit
Cincinnati
Baltimore
Kansas City
Giants

Then maybe because of qbs

Carolina
Tennessee
Washington

I just realized that's 22 teams lol! Good lord at that point might as well do 32 but let's say Cleveland and Chicago had similar styles I would probably just use same book. I just really want the top elite teams to play like themselves.

Who knows, I'm just excited to test this and mess with it! If I got 1 more sack of the CPU running a curl route and not passing it I was going to break my disc!!! This is best news I've heard for madden yet IMO...
Old 08-14-2015, 12:39 AM   #54
MVP

vannwolfhawk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwaggerCoach
Gentlemen! I got it working!!

I noticed the game kept crashing (PS4) when the 2nd user (CPU - Giants) team got the ball on offense.

That profile was using a backup DE. I switched over to a backup QB and that seems to have solved it.

For good measure I switched over to the Giants coach and also cut a player to make sure the roster remained at 53...not sure if that has something to do with it. Also tweaked the scheme for them to better reflect their strengths.

1/2 way through a tight game...guys, this is playing MUCH better! I erased every single curls and screen pass concept from their playbook. Took my time evening out playbook priority on 1-4th down...minus the sacks, this game is playing like a dream!!

The CPU is actually fun to play against. 3rd and 10 isn't a guaranteed sack anymore. I have to really read and react instead of worrying about the same tiring 4-5 plays.

Giants QB Shaun Hill just hit ODBJ in the back corner of the end zone and it was beautiful!!! He's currently 8 for 13.
Giants are running as much as they are passing.

I can't wait to see what we come up with for 16!!! Thanks again!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
That's so awesome! Love it!

I can now only imagine this game with the fbg rated rosters and these schemes and playbooks done! Pure gold! Could you imagine if EA understood how putting resources into properly rated players and team playbooks and schemes what a difference maker that would be for their game? It just would add so much more realism and go back to their motto "if it's in the game it's in the game"... 1 day I hope but at least we have tools to edit! Now if they give us cfm editing ability with draft class editing ability I'd be ecstatic!

Last edited by vannwolfhawk; 08-14-2015 at 12:49 AM.
Old 08-14-2015, 07:45 AM   #55
Banned

OVR: 21

You could even expand the concept to develop some classic team Playbooks...like the old Packers Lombardi book with a few sweeps and lots of runs, or air Coryell with deep routes, etc. Even creating "concept" playbooks for older teams like 1960s-1970's Run Heavy books as an example.

I know some of these concept books are already in the game but even the run heavy books are loaded with too many passes and especially on first down shotgun type stuff.

Just a thought...

C
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2015, 09:23 AM   #56
Madden Dev Team

DeuceDouglas's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by capa
You could even expand the concept to develop some classic team Playbooks...like the old Packers Lombardi book with a few sweeps and lots of runs, or air Coryell with deep routes, etc. Even creating "concept" playbooks for older teams like 1960s-1970's Run Heavy books as an example.

I know some of these concept books are already in the game but even the run heavy books are loaded with too many passes and especially on first down shotgun type stuff.

Just a thought...

C
Something similar to this is what I had planned a couple years back with not only the regular coaches but even more so the imaginary coaches. Being able to create unique playstyles for these imaginary coaches would add a ton to CFM. Making a "Pound The Rock" smash mouth playbook or an overly pass heavy, air it out all the time type book. Just stuff that you'd never get to see otherwise. It's just a shame that it has to be such a painstaking process to make it work when it seems like something so simple to make sure or make it available to load in custom playbooks by default so you could change them at the scheme menu and get them to work easily.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »