Home

Madden: A Look Inside for CFM Play

This is a discussion on Madden: A Look Inside for CFM Play within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 12-09-2015, 02:32 PM   #17
Jr.
Playgirl Coverboy

Jr.'s Arena

OVR: 18
Re: Madden: A Look Inside for CFM Play

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
#3 I'll have to stay away from answering this one due to the details that would have to be revealed.
It's a yes/no question. You don't have to reveal any details.

Watch me play video games
Old 12-09-2015, 02:49 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 0

Based on your findings is play rec more important to a defensive player or is awareness?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk
Old 12-09-2015, 03:01 PM   #19
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

I am so un-scientific when it comes to sliders. Kinda crazy I guess. But I am just being honest.

I am a turn a knob, play and feel guy. Been that way for me ever since game sliders were made available in sports games.

I read other guy's theory's on sliders and then test. I take a simple organic game play approach to developing sliders.

I love reading about the findings of others and use that information to test my own knob turns. What led me to Operation Sports was my search for a slider forum when MLB The Show 2009 came out.

Amazing how that happens.

This thread is a perfect example of why I love this forum. Keep the info coming!!! Because I use the information to make my gaming experience better. And then I share it here with everyone else too.

No secret sauce to slider making. It takes a village. I have always believed that.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 12-09-2015, 03:24 PM   #20
Senior Circuit

KingV2k3's Arena

OVR: 21

Good stuff Khalib:

Here's a few things I've noticed over the years:

1) You can "meld" levels by using different combinations in the profile you set in the Opening Sequence / Main Menu and CFM...for instance AP / AP / AP plays differently than AM / AP / AP, etc...

2) Penalty sliders set outside CFM in the main menu "influence" the animations to the setting you can use in CFM to actually get the penalties called

3) Sliders:

QBA has nothing to do with accuracy...they are deadly accurate from 0-100...it's an "overall modifier of offensive success and influences how the CPU calls defensive plays against you...the only thing that makes them "less accurate" is getting the timing in the pocket to the extent that they can complete the proper passes under the right amount of pressure...not enough or too much are both a mess...

PBK is somewhat "duration and strength" of block, but it's primary function is "total point for passing" in relation to the CPU...QBs will also be less accurate by dropping THIS slider, more so than QBA

CTH is catching, but is AWR / route running driven and also a "total points modifier"...

FUM is the old Running Back Ability slider folded into the Fumble slider...it's also a BTK slider for the runners

RBK is strength / duration, but also mostly a "total points modifier"...

PRC is the pass reaction and run reaction sliders combined...lower than 50 is run reaction / more than 50 is pass reaction is SUPPOSED to be "balanced"...

INT is the "universal modifier" of ball / ball carrier / receiver "awareness"...

PCV is exactly like PRC...more focus on run defense to the left and more focus on the pass to the right

TAK is pass rush / pursuit and tackling

Also:

1) There's a TON of the "MySkill" era slider system left in the code...

2) There's a TON of past iteration slider relationships which were once as you described (25 / 50 / 75), but in later years only one value was used in that manner and the other was set at 50...

3) "Subcategory Relationships / Math" are how you "Balance" sliders...there is no "more or less"...

4) On AP you're balancing HUM v CPU...on AM you have to balance HUM v CPU "divided by boosts"

I'm out of time, but if I can, tomorrow I'll chime in with which penalty sliders work in consort with which gameplay sliders...

Like the "relationship" between TAK and Facemask and how DPI is the "universal modifier of separation"...holding is not only related to the blocking sliders, but is the quickest and most efficient way perfecting timing in the pocket that are the "universal modifier of completion percentage"...

Game is a lot simpler than people make it out to be...

It's never been an "essay question" it's a "math problem" based on 1 / 0 coding...

The "backflips" come in to play in the "code pile" of past iterations...

Lastly: There's the scheme menu which was FINALLY confirmed by EA as having the effect I've been touting on this board for years...when you match the player to the right style (not always the one on their player card, BTW) certain attributes are enhanced..."West Coast" passers get a SAC bump, as an example...

Funny game, indeed!

Last edited by KingV2k3; 12-09-2015 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-09-2015, 03:40 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by KingV2k3
Good stuff Khalib:

Here's a few things I've noticed over the years:

1) You can "meld" levels by using different combinations in the profile you set in the Opening Sequence / Main Menu and CFM...for instance AP / AP / AP plays differently than AM / AP / AP, etc...

2) Penalty sliders set outside CFM in the main menu "influence" the animations to the setting you can use in CFM to actually get the penalties called

3) Sliders:

QBA has nothing to do with accuracy...they are deadly accurate from 0-100...it's an "overall modifier of offensive success and influences how the CPU calls defensive plays against you...the only thing that makes them "less accurate" is getting the timing in the pocket to the extent that they can complete the proper passes under the right amount of pressure...not enough or too much are both a mess...

PBK is somewhat "duration and strength" of block, but it's primary function is "total point for passing" in relation to the CPU...QBs will also be less accurate by dropping THIS slider, more so than QBA

CTH is catching, but is AWR / route running driven and also a "total points modifier"...

FUM is the old Running Back Ability slider folded into the Fumble slider...it's also a BTK slider for the runners

RBK is strength / duration, but also mostly a "total points modifier"...

PRC is the pass reaction and run reaction sliders combined...lower than 50 is run reaction / more than 50 is pass reaction is SUPPOSED to be "balanced"...

INT is the "universal modifier" of ball / ball carrier / receiver "awareness"...

PCV is exactly like PRC...more focus on run defense to the left and more focus on the pass to the right

TAK is pass rush / pursuit and tackling

Also:

1) There's a TON of the "MySkill" era slider system left in the code...

2) There's a TON of past iteration slider relationships which were once as you described (25 / 50 / 75), but in later years only one value was used in that manner and the other was set at 50...

3) "Subcategory Relationships / Math" are how you "Balance" sliders...there is no "more or less"...

4) On AP you're balancing HUM v CPU...on AM you have to balance HUM v CPU "divided by boosts"

I'm out of time, but if I can, tomorrow I'll chime in with which penalty sliders work in consort with which gameplay sliders...

Like the "relationship" between TAK and Facemask and how DPI is the "universal modifier of separation"...holding is not only related to the blocking sliders, but is the quickest and most efficient way perfecting timing in the pocket that are the "universal modifier of completion percentage"...

Game is a lot simpler than people make it out to be...

It's never been an "essay question" it's a "math problem" based on 1 / 0 coding...

The "backflips" come in to play in the "code pile" of past iterations...

Lastly: There's the scheme menu which was FINALLY confirmed by EA as having the effect I've been touting on this board for years...when you match the player to the right style (not always the one on their player card, BTW) certain attributes are enhanced..."West Coast" passers get a SAC bump, as an example...

Funny game, indeed!
Nice Summary. The issue is for the critical ratings QB Accuracy, Catching, Fumbles, Tackling, interceptions, etc. There should be a slider that just effects that particular trait. If I want the QB to throw more passes off the mark, that slider should only affect getting the ball from point A to a desired point B. The catch slider should only affect the ability to catch the pass. Fumble should only be the ability to hang onto the ball when tackled.

It's ridiculous how handcuffed we are at the current moment. I can make a pretty good set of sliders right now, but I can either have effective juke moves and broken tackles, or fumbles, but I can't have both because the stupid fumble slider is the running back ability slider.

And I bet my bottom dollar if you asked the developers what the fumble sliders does, they'd say it affects the probability of a fumble (duh), next question......
Old 12-09-2015, 03:58 PM   #22
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by vrtkolman
So if I'm reading the initial post correctly, "pass rush" is hidden in the pass defense slider. If we raise pass defense that means the pass rush will be much fiercer?
Some things have simply been renamed.
So just noting that Pass Rush is gone as of CFM and we now have Pass Coverage.
- RAC is noted as Catch In Stride
- Aggresive Catch is noted as High Point Catch
So Pass Coverage may have a similar rename going on.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:01 PM   #23
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fistofrage
Nice Summary. The issue is for the critical ratings QB Accuracy, Catching, Fumbles, Tackling, interceptions, etc. There should be a slider that just effects that particular trait. If I want the QB to throw more passes off the mark, that slider should only affect getting the ball from point A to a desired point B. The catch slider should only affect the ability to catch the pass. Fumble should only be the ability to hang onto the ball when tackled.

It's ridiculous how handcuffed we are at the current moment. I can make a pretty good set of sliders right now, but I can either have effective juke moves and broken tackles, or fumbles, but I can't have both because the stupid fumble slider is the running back ability slider.

And I bet my bottom dollar if you asked the developers what the fumble sliders does, they'd say it affects the probability of a fumble (duh), next question......
And this is about 1/10 of what King knows about how this thing works...

The frustrating thing is that tuning the game post-patch for King and I necessitated tweaks in penalty sliders, of all things, not game play sliders. But the testing it took to arrive at that conclusion was exhaustive and conclusive. If you asked developers about, say the effect of DPI on the global quality and effectiveness of MCV, you might get a bemused look. But we found, decisively, that DPI has the most drastic effect on the amount of separation that WR get from DB, and that it does not necessarily lead to overly high levels of DPI calls in-game.

That's just the tip--the very tip--of the iceberg.

Check out the sliders in his arena, and plug them in verbatim, with both the main profile settings as stated and the CFM settings as stated.
Old 12-09-2015, 04:08 PM   #24
MVP

OVR: 19

Quote:
Originally Posted by BadAssHskr
is this where Ea Secret Service make khaliib "go missing"?
Hopefully me staying away from that's a little too detailed prevents this.

Just touching on areas we as gamers have information set before us when playing CFM.

Just like the AWR info.
I now know I don't have to be afraid or so focused on initial high ratings because there is a modifier in play, along with the impact of the Back Story, as well as, the Dev Trait.

Just another layer of the Scouting onion to be considered and has me looking a little deeper at players during this process.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »