Home

Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden?

This is a discussion on Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-25-2016, 12:36 PM   #1
Editor-in-Chief

Steve_OS's Arena

OVR: 77

The question of realism in sports games is always a tricky thing to discuss. Most of us want our sports games to be “realistic” depictions of what we watch on TV or experience in our day-to-day lives.

What that usually means is hoping Madden makes the passing game more diversified, or hoping you can botch your cap situation like a true Jerry Jones disciple. In many respects, what people are talking about wanting here at Operation Sports are “simulation” aspects that help keep a game dynamic and interesting. Repetition is the enemy.

But there’s another layer of “realism” in sports games, as well as another set of creative liberties that go along with it. I would classify this element of realism as visual realism. It’s one part graphics, but it’s also just one part physicality. Hockey games, football games, basketball games, even baseball games all have to deal with collisions and physics. What do these interactions look like? How do they make you feel? (Boxing games and MMA games are built around visual physicality, so I’m ignoring them here because combat sports are a whole other disucssion.)

Read More - Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden? (Written By: Chase Becotte)
Platform: PS3 / PS4 / Xbox 360 / Xbox One
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2016, 12:44 PM   #2
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Do You Care About Dangerous Hits in Madden?

Football is a violent sport, lets stop trying to turn it into touch football.. Big hits happen, and we don't need flags to be thrown in madden; as it is, there are too many flags thrown in the NFL and college...Incidental contact (helmet to helmet) and hard hits will happen; let it go..

All these flags are merely a means to avoid more lawsuit, essentially, not losing money..Nothing more but money.

EDIT: and since no one even gets hurt in Madden, the question of taming down hits is moot, IMO...As for the above hit, that was a personal foul; should have gotten a flag. But on the other hand, the collisions and animations are not exact enough, IMO, to throw flags for hits..We could see a flag every play.

Last edited by 4thQtrStre5S; 04-25-2016 at 12:54 PM.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:08 PM   #3
Pro

OVR: 33
In terms of the real world I'm sure there is a valid argument to reduce the number of 'Dangerous Hits'. As for the Madden series, I think there are many elements that fall well short of accurate simulation of the NFL that would require addressing before worrying what is deemed a legal or dangerous hit.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:09 PM   #4
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

The cleanup tackles were wayyyyyy overdone in 16. I hope it's something they tone down in 17.
Old 04-25-2016, 01:14 PM   #5
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

I like the clean up hits; hope they remain in M17.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-25-2016, 01:21 PM   #6
Just some guy

mrprice33's Arena

OVR: 16

The internet, in a nutshell
Old 04-25-2016, 01:24 PM   #7
MVP

SolidSquid's Arena

Keep the clean up hits. Using the one in the video as an example, they wouldn't look as bad if the ball carrier was just stuck in the fetal position, they should be throwing a hand down and scrambling to try to stay up or conceding and making sure they just go down. As it stands they just sit idle and take a huge hit
Old 04-25-2016, 01:26 PM   #8
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

You know what's tough, here? Is that until madden 16, the tackling always looked so unrealistic, that whenever a tackling animation was triggered, the rest of the defense simply quit on the play. This was a MAJOR source of unrealistic 'simulation' for me personally, and truly took the realism out of the game. In the NFL, players play to the whistle (well, the good ones do , and u never know if a player is going to break a tackle or not. So, for me, the addition of the 'dive into' a player who is 'almost down' was a great addition. U see this in the NFL. Players diving in to finish off a ball carrier (and, perhaps hope to 'tire' that player just a little more with one extra hit). The hit in the gif is illegal, I would say, and comes at the expense of this being the first year madden has implemented a 'dive into almost tackled player' animation. So, if they choose to fine tune this to make it 'not so blatant' illegal hits, I would be fine with that. But, I absolutely think they should keep the 'play till the whistle, play/attempt to tackle ball carrier UNTIL he is truly down' mentality/animations.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »