Home

Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA

This is a discussion on Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-28-2016, 11:03 PM   #25
MVP

XxKnicksRules215xX's Arena

OVR: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I know it shouldn't but the stuff I read from individuals against other individuals in favor of corporations surprises me every time. Mean ole' Jim Brown picking on poor lil' EA for using his likeness anyway after he told them they couldn't. Yeah it's all about Jim Brown and how he should be honored that EA would want to represent him in their game even after he declined, no need to sue for that, it's not like it's against the law or anything.

The responses in thread like this strike a sour cord with me, EA lost because they were deemed to have illegally used Jim Brown's likeness, among others, this isn't some one off case or misunderstanding this has been proven to be what EA did, repeatedly.
Preach, I always have a suspicion about those who take it personal about a person they've never met and a story that's only being half told but hey who am I, I'll leave it at that, take care and God bless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-28-2016, 11:18 PM   #26
MVP

Junior Moe's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big FN Deal
I know it shouldn't but the stuff I read from individuals against other individuals in favor of corporations surprises me every time. Mean ole' Jim Brown picking on poor lil' EA for using his likeness anyway after he told them they couldn't. Yeah it's all about Jim Brown and how he should be honored that EA would want to represent him in their game even after he declined, no need to sue for that, it's not like it's against the law or anything.

The responses in thread like this strike a sour cord with me, EA lost because they were deemed to have illegally used Jim Brown's likeness, among others, this isn't some one off case or misunderstanding this has been proven to be what EA did, repeatedly.
Yeah. I don't get the Jim Brown hate, either. EA screwed up here. They could have just as easily made his stock avatar nothing like him at all (number, physical meausrement, etc.) and just allowed editing. That way they are absolved of responsibility. It's the same thing with O'Bannon. It sucks, and I hate him for the loss of college football and basketball games. But right is right. Those avatars were dead ringers for their collegiate counterparts.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:23 PM   #27

kehlis's Arena

OVR: 41
Re: Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA

All other arguments aside and just speaking to this case I have a big issue with what EA did and hold nothing against Brown.

At the time there were no concerns over uses of likeness as there are today. They went out of their way to ask if they could use him and despite being told no decided to do so anyway. There is no defense for that.

I can't put myself in his shoes or know why he said no (and I don't think I would have) but I absolutely side on him with this and was pretty surprised when this case was initially dismissed.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:32 PM   #28
Hall Of Fame

redsox4evur's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by kehlis
All other arguments aside and just speaking to this case I have a big issue with what EA did and hold nothing against Brown.

At the time there were no concerns over uses of likeness as there are today. They went out of their way to ask if they could use him and despite being told no decided to do so anyway. There is no defense for that.

I can't put myself in his shoes or know why he said no (and I don't think I would have) but I absolutely side on him with this and was pretty surprised when this case was initially dismissed.
Wow I had no idea that this case was initially dismissed, how did that happen? It seems like a pretty open and shut case, IMO.

Now would I have exactly what Brown did it depends on my situation, honestly. If I am one of those broke athletes like Antoine Walker, Vince Young, etc. hell yea I will take on any money I can get. But if I am like Brown (net worth $50 million) it depends on how I feel about the NFL and their treatment of retirees, which the main reason why Barkley won't do any NBA, supposedly. But in the end I would probably say yea go ahead and just send me a check in July or something.
Old 06-28-2016, 11:47 PM   #29
MVP

4thQtrStre5S's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Junior Moe
Yeah. I don't get the Jim Brown hate, either. EA screwed up here. They could have just as easily made his stock avatar nothing like him at all (number, physical meausrement, etc.) and just allowed editing. That way they are absolved of responsibility. It's the same thing with O'Bannon. It sucks, and I hate him for the loss of college football and basketball games. But right is right. Those avatars were dead ringers for their collegiate counterparts.
I think many people dislike Jim Brown for what he has been since retiring from Football, and thus anything involving Jim is looked down on;

from my perspective, and as Knute Rockne proved with the Four Horsemen, the individual on a team is what they are, for the most part, because of the team around them first. This in no way suggests that there are no way individually better players; just that it takes more than the individual in a team sports, to make the team worth anything.

I think having any likeness of Jim Brown in MAdden was bad, because Jim seems to love nothing more than to promote himself.
Old 06-29-2016, 12:32 AM   #30
D* W*rk!

Rocky's Arena

OVR: 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4thQtrStre5S
I think many people dislike Jim Brown for what he has been since retiring from Football, and thus anything involving Jim is looked down on;

from my perspective, and as Knute Rockne proved with the Four Horsemen, the individual on a team is what they are, for the most part, because of the team around them first. This in no way suggests that there are no way individually better players; just that it takes more than the individual in a team sports, to make the team worth anything.

I think having any likeness of Jim Brown in MAdden was bad, because Jim seems to love nothing more than to promote himself.
C'mon man . He's probably the greatest football player of all time. He can't possibly be bad for the game.

Jim Brown probably wanted to be paid more than any other player in the game. That's his prerogative and I don't necessarily disagree with him.
"Maybe I can't win. But to beat me, he's going to have to kill me. And to kill me, he's gonna have to have the heart to stand in front of me. And to do that, he's got to be willing to die himself. I don't know if he's ready to do that."
-Rocky Balboa
Old 06-29-2016, 12:41 AM   #31
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Jim Brown Receives $600K Settlement Against EA

Yeah, interesting to see the varying opinions on this. U don't have to take him at his word, I guess, but I see this move as similar to Metallica standing up to napster back in the day. I see Brown here standing up for an individual's rights so that lesser known athletes know they may also have the right if something similar were to happen. I don't think he did it for himself at all. I think he's a tough SOB and he told ea, 'no'. They did it anyways, so he stood up for himself, more for the principle of the matter, to set a standard for others. Obviously, not for the money, he doesn't need it. So, why? Because he has the money, he has the lawyers, he has the nerve to stand up to a corporate giant and show everyone they don't need to cow down to them. Idk, that's how I read it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2016, 01:51 AM   #32
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

If they would have added the ability to fully edit players in the game they would not feel the need to add players in the game that look similar to real players. I don't feel bad for EA one bit, not for a company who has produced inept football games for an entire decade, wasted an entire gen of NFL football gaming good for Jim Brown.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »