Home

Starting a Franchise with Accurate Rosters

This is a discussion on Starting a Franchise with Accurate Rosters within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2016, 04:42 AM   #9
Rookie

OVR: 0
Re: Starting a Franchise with Accurate Rosters

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_heat
People complain about this every year, and every year it falls on deaf ears. Why does EA insist on making it so difficult to start a franchise with accurate rosters? Can we all agree we would rather just not have the preseason included in CFM? That way after all the work that is done on their part to get rosters correct, we can actually use them as they intended. its ridiculous, and it needs to stop.
Perhaps they could do what FIFA and Football Manager do and have the option to disable transactions for the first pre season (FIFA and FM have the option to disable the first transfer window).
Old 09-11-2016, 05:34 AM   #10
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverend_heat
People complain about this every year, and every year it falls on deaf ears. Why does EA insist on making it so difficult to start a franchise with accurate rosters? Can we all agree we would rather just not have the preseason included in CFM? That way after all the work that is done on their part to get rosters correct, we can actually use them as they intended. its ridiculous, and it needs to stop.
Absolutely not.

Personally, I don't care if the rosters in franchise aren't one-to-one correct with the real NFL. Once I start my franchise, I'm diverting from real life with the snapshot of the NFL as the roster file sees it at that moment. Any roster moves made afterward by any team give my league its own profile and personality. I personally enjoy that dynamic element of franchise mode.

My online franchise is in Week 12 now, and the bottom of my Cowboys' roster and practice squad doesn't look anything like real life, as I build my team in my own image. I expect the CPU to do its own roster management similarly, as to maximize the challenge I face each week (and they do, albeit at the expense of some lower-rated rookies). If the CPU isn't putting the best team possible on the field, however it determines that to be the case, to me the CPU isn't doing it's job properly.

All that said, I agree that the way CPU teams prioritize maximizing its team's OVR with how it manages its roster isn't exactly authentic. It always prioritizes win-now over all else. There is a fine line, however, between the CPU retaining young players over old players for purposes of long-term team building and the CPU not adequately managing its roster to field the best team possible.

A really simple solution to help address the problem in the future might be to make increased age apply a small amount of downward pressure on OVR. Age wouldn't actually change a player's skill ratings - so it wouldn't make regression overpowered - but since the CPU primarily uses OVR to manage its roster, it incentivizes the CPU to keep younger players.
Old 09-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #11
MVP

reverend_heat's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Absolutely not.

Personally, I don't care if the rosters in franchise aren't one-to-one correct with the real NFL. Once I start my franchise, I'm diverting from real life with the snapshot of the NFL as the roster file sees it at that moment. Any roster moves made afterward by any team give my league its own profile and personality. I personally enjoy that dynamic element of franchise mode.

My online franchise is in Week 12 now, and the bottom of my Cowboys' roster and practice squad doesn't look anything like real life, as I build my team in my own image. I expect the CPU to do its own roster management similarly, as to maximize the challenge I face each week (and they do, albeit at the expense of some lower-rated rookies). If the CPU isn't putting the best team possible on the field, however it determines that to be the case, to me the CPU isn't doing it's job properly.

All that said, I agree that the way CPU teams prioritize maximizing its team's OVR with how it manages its roster isn't exactly authentic. It always prioritizes win-now over all else. There is a fine line, however, between the CPU retaining young players over old players for purposes of long-term team building and the CPU not adequately managing its roster to field the best team possible.

A really simple solution to help address the problem in the future might be to make increased age apply a small amount of downward pressure on OVR. Age wouldn't actually change a player's skill ratings - so it wouldn't make regression overpowered - but since the CPU primarily uses OVR to manage its roster, it incentivizes the CPU to keep younger players.
That's great for people who don't care about accurate rosters, but for people who do it isn't fun to spend 20 minutes per team hunting through free agents and other teams rosters to find the guys the cpu cut even though you control all 32 teams and have CPU roster fill set to off. Not to mention the players that simply disappear and can't be brought back. EA isn't going to fix this issue, they never comment on it and it's been present for years, barring a complete remake of CFM from the ground up (lol), this will continue to happen, and it's simply a joke at this point.

Last edited by reverend_heat; 09-11-2016 at 10:04 AM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2016, 10:01 AM   #12
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

This issue is completely ridiculous. I'm using the Vikings and I have guys who are pretty big parts to my team, being released. I've restarted the Franchise umpteen times and nothing is working to counter this. I've made the proper cuts myself and the CPU still releases players on my team despite my roster being down to the correct amount of players. Any of the players who are listed into the "Big Impact" recommendations for cutting or assigning to the practice squad, are cut or assigned to the practice squad. That includes my 4th receiver, PR, and many other guys who are actually backups to my starters on the real life roster. I understand this is a video game but why have accurate rosters if they won't be accurate by the time you get to game 1 of the regular season.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Old 09-11-2016, 04:06 PM   #13
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scossgod
Perhaps they could do what FIFA and Football Manager do and have the option to disable transactions for the first pre season (FIFA and FM have the option to disable the first transfer window).
This is a good idea. I don't have a twitter, but if someone could mention this maybe they could patch it in.
Old 09-11-2016, 07:39 PM   #14
MVP

Shaffer26's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
This issue is completely ridiculous. I'm using the Vikings and I have guys who are pretty big parts to my team, being released. I've restarted the Franchise umpteen times and nothing is working to counter this. I've made the proper cuts myself and the CPU still releases players on my team despite my roster being down to the correct amount of players. Any of the players who are listed into the "Big Impact" recommendations for cutting or assigning to the practice squad, are cut or assigned to the practice squad. That includes my 4th receiver, PR, and many other guys who are actually backups to my starters on the real life roster. I understand this is a video game but why have accurate rosters if they won't be accurate by the time you get to game 1 of the regular season.
I'm having the same thing happen to me. Went into week 4 in the preseason with the rosters as accurate as possible, simmed week 4 and Thielen, Tom Johnson and Marcus Sherels were all cut. I was absolutely upset with this as I spent hours on trying to get these rosters close to real life. Biggest problem is that I now can't find any of those three players in the game now. they aren't FA's and they haven't been signed by any team. Any ideas on how to fix this? WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT EA!?!?
Old 09-11-2016, 08:48 PM   #15
MVP

bwiggy33's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaffer26
I'm having the same thing happen to me. Went into week 4 in the preseason with the rosters as accurate as possible, simmed week 4 and Thielen, Tom Johnson and Marcus Sherels were all cut. I was absolutely upset with this as I spent hours on trying to get these rosters close to real life. Biggest problem is that I now can't find any of those three players in the game now. they aren't FA's and they haven't been signed by any team. Any ideas on how to fix this? WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT EA!?!?
I couldn't find them either. All three of those guys have fairly big roles on the team and I'm not starting a CFM without them. I just don't get what the heck is going on. So glad I haven't bought the game yet and am still on my 10 hour trial. I'm having quite a bit of fun with the gameplay but this is a game breaker for me.
NFL-Minnesota Vikings
NFL-Denver Broncos
NCAAF-Michigan Wolverines
NCAAH-St. Cloud State Huskies
Soccer-Chelsea
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2016, 09:08 PM   #16
MVP

Shaffer26's Arena

OVR: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by bwiggy33
I couldn't find them either. All three of those guys have fairly big roles on the team and I'm not starting a CFM without them. I just don't get what the heck is going on. So glad I haven't bought the game yet and am still on my 10 hour trial. I'm having quite a bit of fun with the gameplay but this is a game breaker for me.
I agree. This is a game breaker. Don't say we have control in CFM when we clearly do not. Is there a work around on this???

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »