Home

Madden 18 CFM Interview with Clint Oldenburg(Sports Gamers Online)

This is a discussion on Madden 18 CFM Interview with Clint Oldenburg(Sports Gamers Online) within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-22-2017, 01:15 AM   #57
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: Madden 18 CFM Interview with Clint Oldenburg(Sports Gamers Online)

Quote:
Originally Posted by seththor
I was read John Madden talk about how he didn't really think other than crowd noise that home field advantage didn't mean much at the NFL level.
That does bring up a point though is John's input involved at all with the game anymore?

Sent from my LG-H820 using Operation Sports mobile app
Yes

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:21 AM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
I was read John Madden talk about how he didn't really think other than crowd noise that home field advantage didn't mean much at the NFL level.
That does bring up a point though is John's input involved at all with the game anymore?

The key from your post is you asked if he's involved "at all" anymore. That's a simple "yes" you got from adembroski. What or how much he's involved is debatable. Saw a video b4, years ago now, that I believe EA put out and Madden's involvement then constituted some guys from EA going to his home and hanging out in his 'man cave' for a while. I'm sure some nuggets of wisdom are dropped but it's like we wonder here, "i know you HEAR me, but are you really listening to me?". I've also seen he's involved in the past with new rules implementation and concussion protocol. I don't see him getting more involved as he gets older, but could be wrong. I'd like to see proof of more involvement than that if anyone can provide it.

I read b4 that in the beginning (mid-80's i believe) when he was very heavily involved, he insisted on authenticity or he wouldn't sign off. At the time, other companies could not get 22 players on the screen at once (think it was 16, not sure tho). He refused to accept the excuses. 11-on-11 was fundamental to football. They worked on it until they figured it out. I think they even waited 4 more years to make sure it was 'right' b4 the first game hit the market. Certainly they missed out on some $$ those few years, but it paid off exponentially in the long run. The game was 'innovative' b/c of that. And the play creator, and the customization. Lol, on a floppy disc, no less.
Old 06-22-2017, 09:53 AM   #59
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by deu22ces
The key from your post is you asked if he's involved "at all" anymore. That's a simple "yes" you got from adembroski. What or how much he's involved is debatable. Saw a video b4, years ago now, that I believe EA put out and Madden's involvement then constituted some guys from EA going to his home and hanging out in his 'man cave' for a while. I'm sure some nuggets of wisdom are dropped but it's like we wonder here, "i know you HEAR me, but are you really listening to me?". I've also seen he's involved in the past with new rules implementation and concussion protocol. I don't see him getting more involved as he gets older, but could be wrong. I'd like to see proof of more involvement than that if anyone can provide it.

I read b4 that in the beginning (mid-80's i believe) when he was very heavily involved, he insisted on authenticity or he wouldn't sign off. At the time, other companies could not get 22 players on the screen at once (think it was 16, not sure tho). He refused to accept the excuses. 11-on-11 was fundamental to football. They worked on it until they figured it out. I think they even waited 4 more years to make sure it was 'right' b4 the first game hit the market. Certainly they missed out on some $$ those few years, but it paid off exponentially in the long run. The game was 'innovative' b/c of that. And the play creator, and the customization. Lol, on a floppy disc, no less.
I guess I should have asked how involved he is now lol
I'm sure if they made football as he envisioned it that it would be more SIM for sure.
I'm not being negative towards the current Madden team last year was the most I've played madden since 05.
I hope it keeps going forward and makes the dark ages of Madden a memory.

Old 06-22-2017, 10:09 AM   #60
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
Yes

Sent from my SM-G930P using Operation Sports mobile app
Yeah he's still involved, he is the person who came up with the idea for blocked fg/xp's last year actually.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 06-22-2017, 10:19 AM   #61
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Yeah he's still involved, he is the person who came up with the idea for blocked fg/xp's last year actually.
It makes sense to me now why they are blocked from the edge like it's 1988 instead of up the middle like in today's nfl.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-22-2017, 10:27 AM   #62
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

An article from last year on Madden's influence in the game lately.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jo...madden-nfl-17/
Old 06-22-2017, 11:00 AM   #63
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
An article from last year on Madden's influence in the game lately.

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/jo...madden-nfl-17/
Very nice Roadman, thank you. But we need more of him! Lol. He might have informed the Devs that 'ID the Mike' should be called "ID the Blitzer" the way they did it.
Old 06-22-2017, 11:12 AM   #64
Rookie

In seriousness tho, he's obviously getting older, over 80 now. How long b4 we sadly don't have him at all? It's that coaching mindset that needs to be around ALL the time there. A smart decision, IMO, would be to transition in a younger Coach (at least one) to give the much needed insight and direction of how football really works. Players only know so much, some only enough to survive at their position. Coaches have to learn the details and nuances of a position. The really good ones learn multiple positions and how the opposing side thinks, eventually coordinate and install. Bring in a real GM too. Those types of people need to be around the creative process full-time.

It's not fair to expect tech minds to somehow just 'know' football b/c maybe they're a fan. I'm sure some really do. But it's obviously not 'enough' or there'd be crickets in the forum.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »