Home

Zones defense issue

This is a discussion on Zones defense issue within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-11-2017, 10:57 PM   #17
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Zones defense issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCoachDx
Seems odd how the zone defense can look so good, then by fixing "bugs" it becomes messed up. I wouldn't be surprised if that's a bunch of crap.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huh? It's all software and I'm not even in software, but my wife is and it's true, if she is fixing code in an area, anything that can happen, will happen. She has some sleepless nights during the year.
Old 08-11-2017, 11:58 PM   #18
MVP

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by roadman
Huh? It's all software and I'm not even in software, but my wife is and it's true, if she is fixing code in an area, anything that can happen, will happen. She has some sleepless nights during the year.

All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem like things are adding up. When they say they want to tune the difficulty down in ALL MODES for the "newcomers" they expect to get from Longshot, and then this happens, I don't believe the playing dumb aspect like oh it was just some bugs. I don't buy it. I think they screwed up and are trying to backtrack. I could be wrong. It could just be my extreme dislike for EA coming out, but all I know is that currently I am furious with how things have gone in the last couple of weeks.

Old 08-12-2017, 12:03 AM   #19
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
All I'm saying is that it doesn't seem like things are adding up. When they say they want to tune the difficulty down in ALL MODES for the "newcomers" they expect to get from Longshot, and then this happens, I don't believe the playing dumb aspect like oh it was just some bugs. I don't buy it. I think they screwed up and are trying to backtrack. I could be wrong. It could just be my extreme dislike for EA coming out, but all I know is that currently I am furious with how things have gone in the last couple of weeks.

I can understand and appreciate where you are coming from, I get it.

I just don't think anyone can dismiss or for that matter confirm any information, but it could be potentially a combination of things instead of just one thing.
Old 08-12-2017, 12:26 AM   #20
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

You are both right.

It is entirely possible that one bug fix can cause unforeseen problems elsewhere. Besides that, its not as if EA Play provides a particularly large sample size. Those that played may have never did whatever it was that triggered those bugs.

On the other hand, it does allow for a very convenient excuse. And while I am not an expert on coding, it does sound odd. Now I didn't listen to the podcast with Clint so I don't know what exactly was said, but if he said something along the lines of zone defense being less effective was due to bugfixes I'd be skeptical as well. When I see the gameplay I don't see zone defense "broken," I see it just not as effective as it should be. Like the reaction time for defenders was universally lowered.

The fact that the Madden team has a bad habit of leaving old legacy code underneath the new stuff doesn't help, and makes it more likely to see cascade effects
Old 08-12-2017, 01:23 AM   #21
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

I went back to listen and Clint mentioned it could have been a decision that was made in production, but he said, it's not that cut and dry. That's where he chimed in about the 7 bugs in a 3 week span that was noted by QA in zone D.

So, I don't feel he is trying to level out a convenient excuse. And like I mentioned before, Clint said it could have triggered from a number of reasons, but those were the two he brought up.

Clint's interview and answers were very intriguing to me.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-12-2017, 01:41 AM   #22
Hall Of Fame

ggsimmonds's Arena

OVR: 7

Yeah it could be any number of reasons, even a mix. Like they felt one particular zone assignment was too effective so they tried to tone it down, and for whatever reason it affected everything.

Regardless, I don't think this is the type of issue that should stop anyone from purchasing the game. It should be fixed, the only question is will it be done so in time to make the day 1 patch.
Old 08-12-2017, 01:46 AM   #23
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
Yeah it could be any number of reasons, even a mix. Like they felt one particular zone assignment was too effective so they tried to tone it down, and for whatever reason it affected everything.

Regardless, I don't think this is the type of issue that should stop anyone from purchasing the game. It should be fixed, the only question is will it be done so in time to make the day 1 patch.
Simftballcritic says the day 1 patch is already finished and probably waiting for approvals, but he feels it will come shortly there after.

As long as it's before opening day, I'm ok with that.

Tune the QB AI and I think it will be a good game. In the interview, Clint said they can tune the game to how we want it.
Old 08-12-2017, 02:11 AM   #24
MVP

Americas Team's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
The concern is due to how much better they were a couple of weeks ago. I have no clue why you guys are saying they look normal bc they are clearly not working properly. While a few weeks ago, zones were working great and people were blown away by how good the game was playing, Rex (for some unknown reason) believed it would be too difficult for newcomers so they dialed back the zone coverage for ALL modes. Which makes ABSOLUTELY NO SENSE TO ME. You want to make arcade mode easier? By all means go right ahead. But don't make the rest of the game easier just because newcomers can't handle it. Literally the dumbest thing I have ever seen. I have no clue what goes through the brains of people at EA. They continue to baffle me year after year.

It seems to me that a patch applies to all modes they can't apply/not apply a patch to one game style and not the other. But if it's a tuner then they can do those separately, but I could be wrong just a guess.

Sent from my BLN-L24 using Operation Sports mobile app

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »