Home

7 Players Are Rated an Overall 99 in Madden NFL 19, Your Thoughts?

This is a discussion on 7 Players Are Rated an Overall 99 in Madden NFL 19, Your Thoughts? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-29-2018, 08:45 PM   #113
MVP

briz1046's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: EA Plans to Kickoff the Official Madden NFL 19 Player Ratings on June 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB5XSBW
The media has nothing to do with what's being discussed. This is a list voted on by NFL players.
To be frank I'd take the opinion of some media pundits over that of many actual players , many no next to nothing about layers on other teams especially out of division or conference , the nfl top 100 and pro bowl voting are no way to rank players
Old 06-29-2018, 08:49 PM   #114
MVP

briz1046's Arena

Re: 7 Players Are Rated an Overall 99 in Madden NFL 19, Your Thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adembroski
So what you're saying here is that teams should prefer certain types of players... let's call them "archetypes," based on the sort of system or, uhh, how about "scheme", that they run?

That's a phenomenal idea, we should tell EA!
I think hes meaning more than some teams prefer certain player types , thats part of it , but also the quality of scouting should differ between teams , some teams being better at assessing DBs , others Old etc
Each team should have scouting staff with a variety of costs and specialities/ weakspots
Old 06-29-2018, 09:27 PM   #115
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshC1977
(Disclaimer: this is all based on my experiences with Madden 18 (and before) using default gameplay sliders NOT with the M19 beta)

This is a very fair question...I'll rephrase my point....

The problem with the hyper-inflated ratings (i.e. players with overalls greater than 85 or so) is that they result in hyper-inflated gameplay. Big hits, big catches, big throws, etc. It's perfect for selling arcade style gameplay like the online H2H kids want. So yes, from that standpoint the roster and engine do typically work well together.

What I was previously referring to was the desire for REALISTIC gameplay; which means, in spite of all the hard work they might do on the engine, over-inflated ratings essentially undermine all the good things that they have tried to accomplish (again, from the perspective of them wanting something actually resembling real football).
If you lower the ratings then players can't do anything especially on defense.

Without 85+ BSH players in your front 7 you have no hope of stopping a strong rushing attack. Without at least a few 80+ ZCV players you must blitz relentlessly to stop the pass. Without 90+ PMV or FMV pass rushers you'll almost never get home sending just three or four, so again you must blitz.

To my knowledge sliders do not change the relevant thresholds, so without players rated highly in the most crucial attributes you'll never get a defender to jump a pass, blow up a run, or beat his man one on one on a pass rush.

Doing this really degrades the game and makes it similar to older versions of Madden where your user and fast blitzes were your only hope on D because the AI players were mostly helpless.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-29-2018, 09:42 PM   #116
Banned

TB5XSBW's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I'm well aware. I still question its legitimacy.

Even if we allow that the piece is purely representative of what NFL players actually think, Aaron Rodgers has not played against the following teams in at least three seasons:

Baltimore Ravens (2013)
Buffalo Bills (2014)
Cleveland Browns (2013)
Miami Dolphins (2014)
New Orleans Saints (2014)
New England Patriots (2014)
New York Jets (2014)
Pittsburgh Steelers (2009)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2014)

The vast majority of players and coaches on these teams would have neither the time nor justification to ever watch Aaron Rodgers play football, as opposed to the game film of their upcoming opponents actually on the schedule. You and I both have probably watched more Aaron Rodgers games than some players on these teams over that time span. To that end, the NFL Hot 100 is no more legitimate than the FBS coaches poll, in which many college football coaches have openly admitted they don't watch teams and just read box scores. Hell, Steve Spurrier used to vote for Duke every season in the poll because he could. What I'm arguing here is that proximity doesn't necessarily equate to expertise.

If you're going to make an argument for Brady being better than Rodgers, you're going to have to bring something stronger.
We've already gone over the numerous records, cumulative and single game, that he holds, in both regular and postseason. We know about the numerous game winning drives he has. We know about the 5 rings and 4 SB MVPs. You've got most analysts, experts, current players, former players, who say he's the best. At some point you have to stop being salty, wake up, and face reality.
Old 06-30-2018, 02:26 AM   #117
Pro

JayCutlersCig's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
I'm well aware. I still question its legitimacy.

Even if we allow that the piece is purely representative of what NFL players actually think, Aaron Rodgers has not played against the following teams in at least three seasons:

Baltimore Ravens (2013)
Buffalo Bills (2014)
Cleveland Browns (2013)
Miami Dolphins (2014)
New Orleans Saints (2014)
New England Patriots (2014)
New York Jets (2014)
Pittsburgh Steelers (2009)
Tampa Bay Buccaneers (2014)

The vast majority of players and coaches on these teams would have neither the time nor justification to ever watch Aaron Rodgers play football, as opposed to the game film of their upcoming opponents actually on the schedule. You and I both have probably watched more Aaron Rodgers games than some players on these teams over that time span. To that end, the NFL Hot 100 is no more legitimate than the FBS coaches poll, in which many college football coaches have openly admitted they don't watch teams and just read box scores. Hell, Steve Spurrier used to vote for Duke every season in the poll because he could. What I'm arguing here is that proximity doesn't necessarily equate to expertise.

If you're going to make an argument for Brady being better than Rodgers, you're going to have to bring something stronger.

AFC East is a complete cakewalk; it’s essentially like Lebron in the Eastern Conference. Rodgers has faced a number of juggernauts, both postseason and otherwise: the SB against Pittsburgh is a game that forever stands out in my mind. I saw him drop a pass in the bucket between Polomalu and Clark for a TD and I’ve never been more impressed. Not to mention the 2017 NFC Divisional Round. That pass to Cook was insane.

I think Aaron Rodgers is the gunslinger/shifty QB from the 70s, Fran Tarkenton without the speed. He is by far the most entertaining QB to watch for me.

Both are brilliant QBs but I agree with you: Rodgers is better than Brady, and I’d want him with the ball with 1:00 left and down by 4. I think Brady’s had a lot of good luck thrown his way: The Tuck Rule, Kasay’s kick out of bounds, Kyle Shanahan laying an egg in the SB, not to mention that stout defense for much of his career.

I think Rodgers has a bit more talent than Tom Terrific. Please don’t kill me.
Old 06-30-2018, 05:51 AM   #118
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by TB5XSBW
What planet are you living on? Both of these players are still at the top of their games. Brady has been playing the best football of his career, and literally put up the best postseason performance in league history in SBLII and completely wiped his a$$ with Philly's defense - a defense most were saying would be a horrible match up for NE's offense. Regarding the coach you just mentioned - Belichick is no doubt the GOAT, but he also single handedly cost the team #6 and wasted Brady's brilliant performance.

Gronk is still Gronk. A dominant freak which no team has an answer for.

I remember the chiefs had an answer in Eric berry until his Achilles stopped working.

Sent from my iPhone using Operation Sports
Old 06-30-2018, 09:33 AM   #119
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by tdawg3782
All this Brady talk is hilarious. I think it's safe to assume that Madden portrays Brady as the best QB in the game. However the way Madden uses its ratings, which puts a lot of emphasis on throwing power, giving Brady a more realistic attribute rating base would result in a lower overall. So the easiest thing for them to do, since throwing power is weighted so high, is to raise his throwing power attribute, therefore inflating his overall, again to reflect him being viewed as the top 1 or 2 quarterbacks in the game. Arguing that his throwing power should be 97 is laughable. But in the construct of the game, and the way the ratings work with overall, this is what they did. Really not sure why people get so agitated about it LOL.
The game would be more fun if the only way you could go deep with Brady is moonballs on HB wheels and seam routes when you can scheme them open, but he would be deadly accurate on short to medium stuff.

Guys like him and Alex Smith can drive 15 yard outs to the field side and that's what is busted about Madden's passing game. Neither could reliably deliver that pass IRL. With Brady even the deepest shots down the field are available (I will admit Smith is much more limited) and that's just not how the Pats do it.

If a means to nerf these type of player's DAC and/or THP without lowering their overall could be utilized player differentiation would take a big step forward.
Old 06-30-2018, 12:38 PM   #120
Banned

TB5XSBW's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCutlersCig
Rodgers is better than Brady, and I’d want him with the ball with 1:00 left and down by 4.
That's not surprising. As a Dolphins, you've become so accustomed to losing that you clearly have come to embrace it.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »