Home

7 Players Are Rated an Overall 99 in Madden NFL 19, Your Thoughts?

This is a discussion on 7 Players Are Rated an Overall 99 in Madden NFL 19, Your Thoughts? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
Closed Thread

Old 06-27-2018, 02:01 PM   #17
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45
Re: EA Plans to Kickoff the Official Madden NFL 19 Player Ratings on June 27

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daywalker86
Lol. They ALL looked like a dumpster fire that game. Won't argue that. But Harry is clearly the best safety in the league right now.

Maybe he should be a 96-98 ��
Eh. There are a bunch of good safeties in the NFL today and they all do different things incredibly well. I don't think there is a definitive "best safety" in the NFL right now.

Like, Harrison Smith is awesome and he's easily in this group of awesome safeties, as he's incredible playing downhill against the run (in all facets; positioning, instincts, tackling, the whole deal) and has great instincts in general. However, he doesn't play the deep third quite like Earl Thomas does; he doesn't man up against slot receivers quite like Malcolm Jenkins can; and he's not quite the bonafide athletic stud Eric Berry is.
Old 06-27-2018, 02:48 PM   #18
MVP

saintrules's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy10
Yes he should be a 99 overall because he's had argurment for goat TE. If you're in the argument for goat in your position you def deserve a 99
2018 Gronk cannot be considered GOAT tier, not by a long shot. 2011/2014/2015 Gronk, okay, he can make a case.

In a sense, that's like saying MJ deserved a 99 OVR all through his years because he was the GOAT, or LeBron, or Trout, Kershaw, etc.

Guys have GOAT years that make them the GOAT, those are the years they should be 99 OVR...not every single year regardless of stats, injuries, off the field issues, etc, and that's my problem with Madden. They elect to say, "Brady is the GOAT, 99 OVR!" When in reality, Brady had his GOAT years in the past, the vast majority of NFL "experts" would agree Brady is NOT in his current prime.

Last edited by saintrules; 06-27-2018 at 02:51 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:07 PM   #19
Eagles Fan

BleedGreen710's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by saintrules
2018 Gronk cannot be considered GOAT tier, not by a long shot. 2011/2014/2015 Gronk, okay, he can make a case.

theres where you lose me. in 2017 Gronk had the same stats as 2015 minus 3 touchdowns. so because he caught 3 less touchdowns his ratings should be lower? catching 3 less touchdowns should lower his catching/routerunning etc? I dont agree with that logic. theres no denying Gronk is in the discussion for GOAT tight end, and right now hes still in his prime. whether he catches 8 TDs or 11 TDs, I dont see how that is enough to sway him getting a 99 or not. and whats wrong with a debatable GOAT at his position being a 99 throughout his prime? if you dont think fitting that criteria is deserving of a 99, who are you saving it for?
Old 06-27-2018, 03:28 PM   #20
MVP

saintrules's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by BleedGreen710
theres where you lose me. in 2017 Gronk had the same stats as 2015 minus 3 touchdowns. so because he caught 3 less touchdowns his ratings should be lower? catching 3 less touchdowns should lower his catching/routerunning etc? I dont agree with that logic. theres no denying Gronk is in the discussion for GOAT tight end, and right now hes still in his prime. whether he catches 8 TDs or 11 TDs, I dont see how that is enough to sway him getting a 99 or not. and whats wrong with a debatable GOAT at his position being a 99 throughout his prime? if you dont think fitting that criteria is deserving of a 99, who are you saving it for?
Let me introduce my friend, 2K ratings...

LeBron James:

2K4 – 78 overall
2K5 – 88 overall
2K6 – 97 overall
2K7 – 98 overall
2K8 – 97 overall
2K9 – 98 overall
2K10 – 96 overall
2K11 – 97 overall
2K12 – 98 overall
2K13 – 98 overall
2K14 – 99 overall and cover player.
2K15 – 98 overall
2K16 – 94 overall
2K17 – 96 overall
2K18 - 97 overall

Over the span of fifteen years, the (arguable) second best player in the history of basketball only received one total 99 OVR, which makes complete sense because heading into that season, he deserved it. He was close, many, many times, earning the nearly perfect rating of 98 a total of five times, again, deserving it, through not just his stats, but play on the court and avoidance of injuries.

I'll put it this way, Gronk, along with the current seven 99 OVR's for Madden 19, are heralded as PERFECT...PERFECT! There isn't a single point higher they can reach, how can you sit back and justify that?

The main reason I am keeping this going is because I strongly feel the ratings kill team building. Structuring teams and players with the way OVR's work in The Show, 2K, FIFA, or OOTP, is so freaking rewarding. Madden on the other hand, my only option for a professional football game, throws ratings around like it's just some small detail to the game.

Ask yourself, why do 2K, The Show, etc, all have rating scales in common, but Madden's are so far off?

Last edited by saintrules; 06-27-2018 at 03:33 PM.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:33 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
Eh. There are a bunch of good safeties in the NFL today and they all do different things incredibly well. I don't think there is a definitive "best safety" in the NFL right now.

Like, Harrison Smith is awesome and he's easily in this group of awesome safeties, as he's incredible playing downhill against the run (in all facets; positioning, instincts, tackling, the whole deal) and has great instincts in general. However, he doesn't play the deep third quite like Earl Thomas does; he doesn't man up against slot receivers quite like Malcolm Jenkins can; and he's not quite the bonafide athletic stud Eric Berry is.

This is why I wish we could expand on archetypes and reflect real life more by having players that are really strong in certain areas and weak in others. Right now Madden makes too many players too similar. All good safeties are good at the same set of tasks. It removes too much individuality from the game that is sorely needed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by underdog13
Why do you keep comparing these guys to retired legends? None of those guys are on the roster.

Edit: nvm post above answers question. Just a matter of preference. But if I wouldn't expect 99 to be reserved for hof guys only if they aren't on the base roster imo.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

I see your edit, but I want to expand on it anyways.

For me, I want to see a game where a guy as good as Antonio Brown is like an 87. I want your average starter around in the mid 70's. I want some lower end starters in the mid 60's. I want a game where when a once in a generation talent comes he is like a 93. I want where the best player to ever exist is a 96. I want the imaginary best player ever to be a 99.

I want most guys like Ryan Kerrigan to be an 85 because he is one of the best at what he is asked to do, but in real life football, guys are great in certain areas and then have weaknesses elsewhere. This ties into my reply to CM Hooe. I want a guy that is a jack of all trades, but a master of none to be like an 80 overall. I want the best run supporting safety in the in the league to have high 80's maybe even low 90's if he is that good in run supporting attributes, but if he's pretty weak in coverage I want him to have 70's in that area, 60's if he is a real liability there.

I want a Madden where a 86 speed is considered fast, a 96 is unreal, but something the fastest players to ever play have. I want a guy that has 72 run blocking to not be instantly cut and deleted from the game. I want a 73 THP QB to be average not terrible.

I think with a ratings system more spread out with a 90+ player meaning one of the best ever at that position really makes for everyone being more unique and true to their real life counterpart.

― Plato

Last edited by canes21; 06-27-2018 at 03:36 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #22
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

Quote:
Let me introduce my friend, 2K ratings...

LeBron James:

2K4 – 78 overall
2K5 – 88 overall
2K6 – 97 overall
2K7 – 98 overall
2K8 – 97 overall
2K9 – 98 overall
2K10 – 96 overall
2K11 – 97 overall
2K12 – 98 overall
2K13 – 98 overall
2K14 – 99 overall and cover player.
2K15 – 98 overall
2K16 – 94 overall
2K17 – 96 overall
2K18 - 97 overall

Over the span of fifteen years, the (arguable) second best player in the history of basketball only received one total 99 OVR, which makes complete sense because heading into that season, he deserved it. He was close, many, many times, earning the nearly perfect rating of 98 a total of five times, again, deserving it, through not just his stats, but play on the court and avoidance of injuries.

I'll put it this way, Gronk, along with the current seven 99 OVR's for Madden 19, are heralded as PERFECT...PERFECT! There isn't a single point higher they can reach, how can you sit back and justify that?

The main reason I am keeping this going is because I strongly feel the ratings kill team building. Structuring teams and players with the way OVR's work in The Show, 2K, FIFA, or OOTP, is so freaking rewarding. Madden on the other hand, my only option for a professional football game, throws ratings around like it's just some small detail to the game.

Ask yourself, why do 2K, The Show, etc, all have rating scales in common, but Madden's are so far off?
I'm assuming you're not playing the beta. All I can say is, wait until you play the game before you judge the ratings in cfm.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:53 PM   #23
Dead!

CM Hooe's Arena

OVR: 45

Quote:
If we're going to talk about how other games do things and claim those games handle ratings objectively correctly, we'd be remiss to not talk about how MLB The Show 18's representation of Babe Ruth possesses ratings well above 99 (125 Power / Contact ratings vs Left / Right, 125 Clutch, 125 Discipline, etc.). I believe several other players in MLB The Show have individual ratings above 99 as well. Madden has similarly issued ratings at and above 100 in the past, both in the default roster and in Ultimate Team, so I don't think it's necessarily true that EA is claiming OVR 99 players are "perfect".

Regardless, while I would prefer a scale which made OVR 99 "best of all time" as the rest of you describe, I obviously do not think Madden is inherently wrong for wanting their ratings methodology to focus on who are the best players in the NFL right now. It's mostly a religious argument to me at this point.
Old 06-27-2018, 03:59 PM   #24
Emerald Archer

Sphinx's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by CM Hooe
If we're going to talk about how other games do things and claim those games handle ratings objectively correctly, we'd be remiss to not talk about how MLB The Show 18's representation of Babe Ruth possesses ratings well above 99 (125 Power / Contact ratings vs Left / Right, 125 Clutch, 125 Discipline, etc.). I believe several other players in MLB The Show have individual ratings above 99 as well. Madden has similarly issued ratings at and above 100 in the past, both in the default roster and in Ultimate Team, so I don't think it's necessarily true that EA is claiming OVR 99 players are "perfect".

Regardless, while I would prefer a scale which made OVR 99 "best of all time" as the rest of you describe, I obviously do not think Madden is inherently wrong for wanting their ratings methodology to focus on who are the best players in the NFL right now. It's mostly a religious argument to me at this point.

I think in a perfect world we would be able to select our preference similar to OOTP does. But, as we all know the world isn't perfect and the ratings in madden are just that, ratings in madden. They shouldn't be objectively compared to other sports games.
Closed Thread

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »