Home

Madden 19 What happened to the physics?

This is a discussion on Madden 19 What happened to the physics? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-10-2018, 02:10 PM   #9
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden 19 What happened to the physics?

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
I've seen plenty of gang tackling, I have no idea what game you guys are playing LOL

I agree. I will also agree with others about the 1 v 1 big hits being a little excessive. But, for me, honestly, madden has been a bit tame in recent years. And, I think what we’re seeing now is actually more realistic. Nfl players are BIG and FAST and they want to hit hard. So, even on wrap tackles, they drive THROUGH the player and it ends up being a big hit. I’d rather see more big hits than less. That being said, the perfect setup right now would be less hard hits, imo.

But, I have def seen gang tackling as well, and as jpdavis mentioned, I’ve seen the tackle animation where someone jumps on top of a tackle attempt in progress while a 3rd tackler dove in.

I’ll also say this - what they actually toned down, imo (and properly so) was the excessive tackle attempts as a player is going down. This was originally a great addition to the game as prior to say, maybe 16, I believe? When a tackle was occurring, NOBODY joined in. I remember Rex mentioning adding the diving attempts. And, again, while it was a good addition, it was still a little over the top, actually. So, for me, what we’re seeing now is actually appropriate. Sometimes players dive in to finish, and sometimes players realize the tackle is occurring and don’t jump in.

But, overall, there is gang tackling, but it may be less than 18 and it may be slightly less than real life, perhaps. But, honestly, I’m loving the tackling this year and feel it’s much more organic. While tackle animations are always ‘canned,’ I feel like the tackles this year are much less so. I’ve seen some ridiculous big hits (but, ridiculous in a realistic good way) where a WR got upended going for a high point pass, and landed on his head! Lol.

I do guess, however, that they went for more big hits this year for ‘fun’ factor. And, while I am absolutely a sim guy at heart, I have to admit that I also enjoy a little more fun including more big hits from time to time. Now, the sounds are a bit ridiculous, actually. Lol. And, I wish they would just record pads colliding sounds and tone it down a little. It’s just so much louder than everything else that u have to turn down the volume. I’m working on a volume set right now, actually, to hear the best from the game without blowing an eardrum. There’s actually some decent things going on in the crowd noise this year. It’s not perfect or amazing, but it’s not bad, either. So, it’s nice to hear the roar of the crowd.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 08-10-2018, 02:13 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhMrHanky
I agree. I will also agree with others about the 1 v 1 big hits being a little excessive. But, for me, honestly, madden has been a bit tame in recent years. And, I think what we’re seeing now is actually more realistic. Nfl players are BIG and FAST and they want to hit hard. So, even on wrap tackles, they drive THROUGH the player and it ends up being a big hit. I’d rather see more big hits than less. That being said, the perfect setup right now would be less hard hits, imo.

But, I have def seen gang tackling as well, and as jpdavis mentioned, I’ve seen the tackle animation where someone jumps on top of a tackle attempt in progress while a 3rd tackler dove in.

I’ll also say this - what they actually toned down, imo (and properly so) was the excessive tackle attempts as a player is going down. This was originally a great addition to the game as prior to say, maybe 16, I believe? When a tackle was occurring, NOBODY joined in. I remember Rex mentioning adding the diving attempts. And, again, while it was a good addition, it was still a little over the top, actually. So, for me, what we’re seeing now is actually appropriate. Sometimes players dive in to finish, and sometimes players realize the tackle is occurring and don’t jump in.

But, overall, there is gang tackling, but it may be less than 18 and it may be slightly less than real life, perhaps. But, honestly, I’m loving the tackling this year and feel it’s much more organic. While tackle animations are always ‘canned,’ I feel like the tackles this year are much less so. I’ve seen some ridiculous big hits (but, ridiculous in a realistic good way) where a WR got upended going for a high point pass, and landed on his head! Lol.

I do guess, however, that they went for more big hits this year for ‘fun’ factor. And, while I am absolutely a sim guy at heart, I have to admit that I also enjoy a little more fun including more big hits from time to time. Now, the sounds are a bit ridiculous, actually. Lol. And, I wish they would just record pads colliding sounds and tone it down a little. It’s just so much louder than everything else that u have to turn down the volume. I’m working on a volume set right now, actually, to hear the best from the game without blowing an eardrum. There’s actually some decent things going on in the crowd noise this year. It’s not perfect or amazing, but it’s not bad, either. So, it’s nice to hear the roar of the crowd.

Yeah I have no issue with big hits, the only thing I think is odd is sometimes it comes from an angle which a big hit is not really possible but you still get the sound and effect of it. That needs toned down.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 08-10-2018, 02:36 PM   #11
Rookie

Physics driven gang tackles and canned animation double team tackles aren't the same. The 2 and 3 man tackles are for the most part scripted and can't be uninterrupted but others. The animation will play all the way out no matter what.

In previous years you could affect the animations and even though they were the same tackles.. They could be affected from multiple angles making the end result looked organic and not so robotic. I like to play the game and affect the outcome. Instead of hitting a button and watching the show
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2018, 03:33 PM   #12
MVP

howboutdat's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
I've seen plenty of gang tackling, I have no idea what game you guys are playing LOL
yeah i have to agree here. I am not sure what game they are playing. Ive only played about 5 games so far and have seen several gang tackles. Double team tackles where one defenders momentum seems to stop running in place and another player comes in and hits the runner hard and it knocks him backwards. Ive personally seen some good stuff imo.

Twitter
Twitch Channel
MBC Twitch Channel
Old 08-10-2018, 03:34 PM   #13
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by reeboyfresh23
Physics driven gang tackles and canned animation double team tackles aren't the same. The 2 and 3 man tackles are for the most part scripted and can't be uninterrupted but others. The animation will play all the way out no matter what.

In previous years you could affect the animations and even though they were the same tackles.. They could be affected from multiple angles making the end result looked organic and not so robotic. I like to play the game and affect the outcome. Instead of hitting a button and watching the show

I hear what you’re saying, but the only version of madden that ever had organic tackling was 13. That engine was all physics driven (and was fantastic, imo). But, u saying there was better gang tackling even last year, I def don’t agree. 16-18 all had very scripted canned animation tackling, imo. Suction tackling was also much worse in those games. So, def going to agree to disagree here and sometimes beauty is in the eye of the beholder kind of thing. Because, for me, for sure, last year still had poorly scripted animation tackling. I’m actually seeing most RBs falling forward in 19, which is a step up from 18, imo. And, to be clear, they don’t always fall forward, but they also don’t always get thrown on their backside. So, I’m actually enjoying 19 tackling.

Old 08-10-2018, 03:45 PM   #14
Banned

It seems like every single tackle is a big hit!! This game plays like an arcade game. Which Im surprised the NFL allowed this since they like to police anything that has to do with the NFL.

Also another thing that BUGS ME is. Sometimes when I run, it seems the computer takes over my RB and does moves for me and completely ruins the run for me. I don't have anything in the settings with an assist so I have no idea why this is happening.
Old 08-10-2018, 03:46 PM   #15
MVP

OhMrHanky's Arena

Quote:
Yeah I have no issue with big hits, the only thing I think is odd is sometimes it comes from an angle which a big hit is not really possible but you still get the sound and effect of it. That needs toned down.

Lol. Yes, I wish I had the vid clip, but I remember a play where a safety had a good pursuit angle on my RB, but he was slightly behind him and the rb was near the sideline. I was expecting a push in the back/shoulder out of bounds. Instead, the safety slightly overtook the rb (got just slightly upfield from him as opposed to chasing) and instantly cracked him with a wicked hitstick shoulder tackle animation. Lol. I was like, wtf?? .

So, yes, this one is tricky. I love the way the whole game is playing right now, so I’d prefer them not to make any wholesale changes. But, if they could change their probability matrix or something to perform more wrap tackles than big hits, that would be great. But, I have a strange suspicion that actually some of the hits that look and sound like hitsticks are actually what they call ‘normal tackles’. And, I’ll say, again, I’m sure everyone knows how violent hits are in the nfl. Lol. It’s one reason we love the sport, the absolute brutality. I think some simheads here are a little off on how often true wrap tackles are performed and when ‘flying’ hits are performed. And/or a more hard hitting wrap tackle as opposed to a soft, cushy wrap tackle to gang tackle animation plays out in real life. So, I actually Madden is making this more correct by adding the violence.

Now, the sound effects, yeah, those are too loud, actually, and not actual pads colliding. I don’t understand this. And, I was in a thread 2 years ago asking, ‘where are the tackle sounds??!’ Because they were nonexistent in 16 and prior. Maybe 17, as well. It was either 17 or 18 that added them back in and they went WAY overboard with it. Lol. I sort of feel responsible, as if they read the OS post and said, ‘u wanna hear the hits? U really wanna hear the hits?? Ok, we’ll make these hits so large, we’ll blow out your subwoofer!!!!’

BLAM!!!

Lol

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-10-2018, 03:48 PM   #16
MVP

GisherJohn24's Arena

OVR: 4

I'm a bit discouraged reading this since this was a common discussion on Madden 10 and 11 back in the day!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »