Home

Josh Looman Leaving Madden Team, After 17 Years - Creator of Franchise Mode, MUT, NFL Head Coach 09 & More

This is a discussion on Josh Looman Leaving Madden Team, After 17 Years - Creator of Franchise Mode, MUT, NFL Head Coach 09 & More within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-13-2020, 09:24 AM   #17
MVP

Shosum13's Arena

OVR: 1
Re: Josh Looman Leaving Madden Team, After 17 Years - Creator of Franchise Mode, MUT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Lol really? Kane99 was here for years as an active member of the community before he got sucked into the vortex that is the Madden team.
And Kane is pretty much the only developer that still comes around in these forums. I it’s know not as often as he used to but he’ll still chime in on threads having to do with equipment from time to time and has attempted to answer questions if people direct them at him.
Old 02-13-2020, 09:38 AM   #18
MVP

PhillyPhanatic14's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Josh Looman Leaving Madden Team, After 17 Years - Creator of Franchise Mode, MUT,

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJ
When you look at the hours worked and the product that's ultimately produced, this should lend even more evidence that companies should look at investing in multiple development teams to work on a game. Cut people's hours by giving them a 24-month (I know it'd be less than that, but using as a ballpark) development cycle over a 12-month cycle.

I understand that's easier said than done and companies aren't willing to sacrifice profits for the health and well-being of associates (there's always someone waiting to take your job), but it would be nice if a company broke from the norm and tried to do something different.

Congrats to Josh on lasting 17 years, and hope his next endeavor works out well for him.

100%. For the amount of money generated by this game, it wouldn't even make a dent in their profits to hire more staff and ease the burden on their employees. Impressive that he last that long. Hard to know exactly what he was responsible for, but he achieved a lot and had a hand in some very big modes that have produced countless hours of fun for all of us.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:18 AM   #19
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheShizNo1
Which is wild when you look at how deep HC09 was.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk
Which is exactly why I feel so-called CFM was not a direction Josh was completely sold on, yet had no choice.

Josh, nor any other game developer, could possibly have been responsible for attempting to marry both offline franchise mode with online game modes. That decision would have had to come from above.

We were sold that this was a good idea, in that every improvement and added feature would benefit all modes. When one of the first moves they made was to remove player editing in M13 Franchise Mode, since this would trigger abuse regarding online play, that told me that online game modes were the filter that all decisions must first pass through, before being introduced in offline modes.

I actually did speak with my wallet and refused to buy the game again until Madden 17 reintroduced full player editing and began putting at least some effort into the franchise experience.

I personally believe Josh did the best he could, given the circumstances handed down from above. Again, I wish him all the best.

Last edited by edgevoice; 03-07-2020 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:24 AM   #20
*ll St*r

roadman's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by edgevoice
Which is exactly why I feel so-called CFM was not a direction Josh was completely sold on, yet had no choice.

Josh, nor any other game developer, could possibly have been responsible for attempting to marry both offline franchise mode with online game modes. That decision would have had to come from above.

We were sold that this was a good idea, in that every improvement and added feature would benefit all modes. When one of the first moves they made was to remove player editing in Franchise Mode, since this would trigger abuse regarding online play, that told me that online game modes were the filter that all decisions must first pass through, before being introduced in offline modes.

I actually did speak with my wallet and refused to buy the game again until Madden 17 reintroduced full player editing and began putting at least some effort into the franchise experience.

I personally believe Josh did the best he could, given the circumstances handed down from above. Again, I wish him all the best.
There is nothing that I disagree with in this post, 100% spot on.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:40 AM   #21
(aka Alberto)

aholbert32's Arena

OVR: 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by douevenbench
No respect for most of these comments...filled with negativity. Be better people.

I wish him well. It doesn’t erase the fact that his biggest contribution was a flop imo. It also doesn’t help that he was pretty dismissive of people who complained about connected franchise when it first was introduced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-13-2020, 10:43 AM   #22
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by ForUntoOblivionSoar∞
Lol really? Kane99 was here for years as an active member of the community before he got sucked into the vortex that is the Madden team.
Yes. Really. The statement I made was the truth. I did not say, nor imply, that he was the only dev who made himself available. Rex made himself highly visible until the cesspool that social media can be forced him off of it. I also remember Ian doing videos on YouTube.

Last edited by edgevoice; 02-13-2020 at 10:49 AM.
Old 02-13-2020, 01:48 PM   #23
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22

Remember we got long shot and the qb1 mode. He was a lead designer on those modes. Long shot took 2 years to develop. I also remember a few youtubers mentioning they don't have the manpower to do more in CFM. I can't blame Looman for everything. Most of Maddens issues go way above the devs heads.

Sent from my LM-Q720 using Tapatalk
Old 02-13-2020, 01:58 PM   #24
#BringBackFaceuary

ChaseB's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by tril
so far these comments are harsh.
A man is leaving a company, and folks post negative comments...
Good luck to him and his next endeavor....
Quote:
Originally Posted by douevenbench
No respect for most of these comments...filled with negativity. Be better people.
Perhaps I'm missing something, but I saw one somewhat negative comment from aholbert about Looman and it was based on a creative decision not some rampant meanness. He explained why he felt that way and didn't glorify it. Otherwise everyone else is more dreading what it means about CFM or wishing him well.

(My comment about fight the fumble I'm pretty sure has nothing to do with Looman, I was just commenting on a post above saying they were bummed it was gone.)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »