Home

SimFBallCritic Analyzes Man Coverage in All-Pro Football 2K8 and Madden 20

This is a discussion on SimFBallCritic Analyzes Man Coverage in All-Pro Football 2K8 and Madden 20 within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 06-02-2020, 03:44 PM   #25
MVP

OVR: 0
Re: SimFBallCritic Analyzes Man Coverage in All-Pro Football 2K8 and Madden 20

It's not just that resources are dedicated to different modes. Let's say the the issue caught traction, Congress decided to ban microtransactions within video games, and the President signs the bill into law.

What makes you so certain that those resources would be reallocated to beefing up franchise?
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 06-02-2020, 03:48 PM   #26
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by SolidSquid
they arent even blown coverages in madden, they "wtf" plays. Call man to man, shade inside, wr runs a slant, your corner takes 2 steps outside giving up and easy release and catch when you knew what was coming. Dont even get me started on zone, its still basic spot dropping where you end having guys covering no one. The last thing that messes up zone coverage is it rarely converts to man once the qb starts scrambling.
I agree.
I would actually like to realistic blown coverages. But currently we have "wtf" plays. I rather see a low AWR/PRC DB take the wrong coverage assignment and give up a big play. But I don't like knowing what's going to happen and still have no control over it.
Old 06-02-2020, 04:01 PM   #27
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkubus
It's not just that resources are dedicated to different modes. Let's say the the issue caught traction, Congress decided to ban microtransactions within video games, and the President signs the bill into law.

What makes you so certain that those resources would be reallocated to beefing up franchise?
I still wonder what will come of that. I think publishers will push hard to keep microtransactions. If companies are making over 1 billion alone in microtransactions a year, they are sure to fight hard for it. I don't spend more than I pay for game, so it doesn't matter to me.

Me personally, I don't think they would reallocate resources to Franchise. In these times, offline modes aren't a huge focus. It's about reaching the online and casual demographics
Old 06-03-2020, 05:27 PM   #28
H*F Cl*ss *f '09

Kanobi's Arena

OVR: 14

Trying to imagine what this would look like advanced 13 years on current or next-gen tech...smh...

Old 06-06-2020, 11:04 AM   #29
Pro

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
Something needs to be corrected because 100% of these Madden analysis "never" mention this, nor do I believe these individuals 1) understand what's driving said outcomes or 2) know about the under-the-hood metrics because they don't lab that deep for their analysis.

**Anyone with a PC can verify this to be true.

The current gameplay build we see Madden in is designed data wise, to placate to the User vs User gameplay.
- the AI is tweaked to fit within the User vs User framework, which is geared to a more open/fun experience void of any "major" AI difficulty application.

Attached is the pic to the Coverage file and some of the plethora of variables that affect what's being displayed in his video.

Just looking at the ManCoverage_Technique variables, you can see how the outcome in his vid is driven not because of a "bad game", but because of "bad variables" chosen to drive what is happening.

A lot of the shifting/warping is caused by the chosen variable for these different aspects forcing what is defined.
- both the HorzShade_Dist and OverShade_Dist is forcing the defender into the setup of these variables (1yrd and 1yrd)
- then you throw in the Cutreaction
- Read/React BreakTime
- Break During Throw
- Break During Release
- Break on Ball
- Play Receiver
- Play Ball
- Difficulty Modifier(s)
- Contextual Awareness Modifier(s)
- Bonuses, Delays
- Rating Delta's that partly decide chosen win/loss animations
- etc, etc, etc...

Many of the Interaction Distance is exaggerated for some reason
- 3yrds DefenderTrail_Dist in Man Cov
- 3.5 yrds for beat defender to jump Intercept
- 3.5 yrds for engaged defender to Reach Tackle

This game can be cleaned up so much if the Gameplay variables are set correctly to actually mimic Simulation of the sport, but they're not.

After adjusting many of these Gameplay variables to levels that enhance/bring out animations/outcomes, I'm like why can't this be the base build of the game, then Play Styles branch form here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by khaliib
But before they had the safeties reacting to WR in front of them and Clint got crucified concerning the deep ball behind them.
So they adjusted the AI to adhere to coverage rule of the play.

Again for the essence of fun in H2H play variables are set to produce more open passing.

Underneath Zones MaxDist_Depth are set short (some are 12yrds)
- the original counter-balance to this was the Superman jumping LB’s
- jumping LB’s was reduced, but the Underneath Zones MaxDist_Depth was not touched so

Where the issue above really becomes an eyesore is Zones in the Endzones because the logic/coverage rules become muddled.

Lastly, the high QB THP is a user “bailout” and destroys both Man/Zone Coverages.
- ball speed is set at “20’s” creating these 30+yrd zipline throws (again H2H fun factor)
- the ball speed is overriding the variables in my previous post, esp Read/React.

I’ve suggested to Clint for 3 yrs now, simply supply a robust Gameplay Customization Suite (ability to adjust these very aspects) and a lot of these issues would be remedied at the User level for their personal experience.
Been saying this for almost 2 years now

Old 06-09-2020, 07:27 PM   #30
Rookie

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanobi
Trying to imagine what this would look like advanced 13 years on current or next-gen tech...smh...

Damn shame smh. Madden cant even put stuff from this game into their game. Most think its for a lack of trying but i think the talent is lacking too. They just dont know how to do certain things. Its 2020 and u cant throw a fade route in madden but in 2k8 u can.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »