Home

Madden NFL 21 Sales Improve 20 Percent Year-Over-Year in its First Week, More Than 17 Million Games Played in The Yard

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 21 Sales Improve 20 Percent Year-Over-Year in its First Week, More Than 17 Million Games Played in The Yard within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-03-2020, 01:52 PM   #33
AWFL Commish

Aestis's Arena

OVR: 0
Re: Madden NFL 21 Sees Strong First Week Unit Sales up Nearly 20 Percent Year-Over-Ye

Is this the thread where I get to say M21 is the best gameplay I've experienced in the series to date? Not sure if that's allowed yet.

Commissioner
After Work Football League
(Xbox Series S/X)
AWFL Discord
AWFL Daddyleagues
Old 09-03-2020, 01:57 PM   #34
Rookie

Re: Week One Madden Sales up 20% vs. Last Year.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32

Whats strange to me is why more people are buying hard copies of a game during a pandemic? I couldnt imagine going to a Best Buy to buy a game when I could download from the safety of my home for the same price.
The missing piece to that puzzle is that “sell-through” is copies sold relative to copies shipped. Between the pandemic and half of launch sales last year being digital, did EA ship less physical copies this year, and if so, by how much? We don’t know. Which makes that “20% increase in sell-through” pretty vague.

FWIW, EA isn’t claiming any sales records yet, whereas last year for launch week they claimed record amounts of digital copies sold and pre-sales.

I’d also be curious how many franchise games have been played vs The Yard games...
Old 09-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #35
MVP

RogerDodger's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by YabaDaba
The missing piece to that puzzle is that “sell-through” is copies sold relative to copies shipped. Between the pandemic and half of launch sales last year being digital, did EA ship less physical copies this year, and if so, by how much? We don’t know. Which makes that “20% increase in sell-through” pretty vague.

FWIW, EA isn’t claiming any sales records yet, whereas last year for launch week they claimed record amounts of digital copies sold and pre-sales.

I’d also be curious how many franchise games have been played vs The Yard games...
Exactly, their sell-through claim is bogus because they’ve offered no figures on how many physical copies were available to buy. It’s entirely likely that they sent less to retailers because of the virus and the likelihood that fewer people are entering stores and online sales of everything have soared. Striking how many of those who like to talk on social media about how great EA are jumped all over it and failed to spot the significance of inserting that word.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #36
Nothing to see here folks

oneamongthefence's Arena

OVR: 22
Re: Madden NFL 21 Sees Strong First Week Unit Sales up Nearly 20 Percent Year-Over-Ye

Gamestop was telling folks to preorder since there were less physical copies all around to be shipped. Which is not a reputable source at all. But it may have brought in more preorders to sell which could contribute to higher physical copies.

#fixmaddenfranchise
Old 09-03-2020, 02:07 PM   #37
MVP

Quote:
Originally Posted by YabaDaba
Someone mentioned there were currently 1 Million cloud franchises made, now we know a lot are test leagues, but we also know a lot still don't go cloud, so that would be a really interesting stat...one I may see if I can dig up.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:10 PM   #38
Member of Rush Nation

CujoMatty's Arena

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by aholbert32
I'll give it a shot:

So retail sales and digital sales are obviously different, right?

When you go to a Gamestop or Best Buy, there are 100s of copies of Madden there to buy because the retailers buy the games direct from EA (at a lower wholesale price) and sell them at a higher retail price.

EA is claiming that they have a 20% increase in "sell-through" which does equate to more sales (in a way) but not necessarily more revenue for EA. Why? Because Best Buy already purchased the copy.

Its like if you sell me 5 T-shirts for 30 bucks each and I turn around and sell those shirts for $40 bucks each to other people. You can brag about how popular those shirts are based on the fact that I sold those shirts but you didnt get any of the direct revenue from my sale.

Digital sales are different because EA doesnt have to sell them to a retailer at a lower retail price. They can sell direct to the consumer for $60.

Whats strange to me is why more people are buying hard copies of a game during a pandemic? I couldnt imagine going to a Best Buy to buy a game when I could download from the safety of my home for the same price.
You also have to remember that in other countries, like here in Canada, most stores dont get direct from EA. We have middle men 3rd party distributors. They have a crap ton sitting in a warehouse somewhere that are still considered sales.
Old 09-03-2020, 02:20 PM   #39
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

It would be interesting to see what the true sales look like compared to last year. I would expect them to be the same or more since Covid has had a positive impact on the gaming inudstry. Before Madden came out, I know the likes of EA< Take-Two, Blizzard, Activision, and others had seen revenues up 40-50% thanks to the pandemic.

It's already been noted that this press release isn't saying what many think it is, but I don't doubt the game has sold well given the NFL shield and Covid leading to record game sales.

― Plato
Old 09-03-2020, 04:27 PM   #40
Rookie

Congratulations

Nothing will change

Anyone that is complaining about it that purchased it stop bitching about this game now. Nothing will change this or next year

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »