Home

Is this the year we finally get a Carousel?

This is a discussion on Is this the year we finally get a Carousel? within the Madden NFL Football forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 02-24-2021, 04:23 PM   #9
Pro

OVR: 0
Re: Is this the year we finally get a Carousel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Fully agree.

Coach Carousel has been a top community request for at least 4-5 years. One of the excuses has been since the coordinators aren't apart of the Coaches Association, they would have to individually license each coordinator. I could care less about real coordinators as long as we could edit them. The causal fan only knows the notable coordinators anyway. They could take the NHL approach with fictional ones. I still find it odd that NHL got coach Carousel before Madden.

But as you said, Madden implements features one year and doesn't expand on it. It's like only when a new feature is marketable, they'll work on it. They touted Scenario Engine as a big feature last year that they would build on, but didn't do much if anything this year. Traits haven't been touched since year 2 of implementation. For a game with bad AI and no tendency system, Traits could have made a huge impact
Yep. Put the generic coaches in and work on getting the real ones sometime later. Of course gamers are going to whine about it but whiners are going to whine.

I've been screaming this all year... the reason Madden won't expand on features is becuase they keep implementing stupid modes like superstar KO and the Yard. If you really want to have The Yard then make it its own game that comes out in February or whatever.
Old 02-24-2021, 05:36 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennylc321
Yep. Put the generic coaches in and work on getting the real ones sometime later. Of course gamers are going to whine about it but whiners are going to whine.

I've been screaming this all year... the reason Madden won't expand on features is becuase they keep implementing stupid modes like superstar KO and the Yard. If you really want to have The Yard then make it its own game that comes out in February or whatever.
I think the bigger issue was the focus on Longshot and FoTF. The Franchise resources was used on those modes the last 4 years(5 if you consider they spent the year prior to Longshot implementing it). They were trying to have their on MyCareer. The problem is the approach they're taking. Longshot and FoTF were essentially short single player campaign modes. I'm a big single player career guy, hell I when I buy 2k, I only play offline MyCareer because I'm not big bball fan. I would buy The Show if I was a baseball fan. But, I wouldn't want a single player "Campaign" mode in a sports games. I can't imagine how much time and money were spent on those modes.
Old 02-24-2021, 06:03 PM   #11
Hall Of Fame

illwill10's Arena

OVR: 31

I do agree that it could be very shallow if implemented. For Coach Carousel to really work in Madden, you really have to go in depth. It can't be a bare bones experience where they just add coordinators and you have the ability to move up to a HC job. With NCAA, you had 3 things going for you. You had recruiting, freedom of movement, and you can make it challenging by starting at a 1 star school. In NFL, there isn't a freedom of movement and ideally you want to last at your job as long as possible.

Not going to list a wishlist, but there's so much that needs to be included. Coaches need to have notable impact. Needs to be a Culture/morale impact. Needs to be off the field stuff(can incorporate Scenario Engine into it). Almost have to incorporate a full staff or at least have a pool of coordinator candidates attached to teams. There's so much more without doing a wishlist.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-24-2021, 06:48 PM   #12
MVP

Is this the year we finally get a Carousel?

Quote:
Originally Posted by infinite76
EA needs to not over think NCAA. They need to literally port over the old product and update the graphics and physics for the initial release. It will make everyone happy and then they can work on additions.

Outside of graphics, physics and code flaws that can be exploited (like recruiting), it's a great game

Sent from my Pixel 4 XL using Tapatalk

That is an absolutely horrendous idea as 14 wasnt a great football product to begin with, and is certainly outdated now. The Infinity Engine was a mess as there were zero physics in the game. Running backs rarely got knocked backwards, anyone could land a big hit, ball carriers could get hit while standing still and still break tackles, physics were just non existent. Defensively, Madden has things better now than they’ve ever been for EA. Pass coverage has actual pattern matching where in 14, it was pure spot drop coverage which was done really poorly that year. There is actual run fitting and gap responsibility now, whereas 14 did not. So linemen just ran head first into each other and basically played pattycake with one another.

NCAA 14 was taking the series in the wrong direction. We would actually be better off taking Madden 21 (next gen) and copy and pasting it over rather than taking NCAA 14. Hopefully, they do neither and just take what is solid with M21 and clean up the areas that are not (blocking schemes need the most work imo. Something that was perfect in NCAA 11 but scrapped in 14). We’ll see what happens.

The one thing they can take is the dynasty mode complete with the coaching carousel. That was as good as it gets dynasty wise. It was great to see coordinators moving around and taking their systems with them to new places (Although seeing a major power 5 team land the Army coach and start running the wishbone was odd). Definitely hope we see this soon. Having position coaches as well would be even better. Especially if different coaches brought you different rewards. Could be a tie in with the schemes feature.

Last edited by xCoachDx; 02-24-2021 at 06:51 PM.
Old 02-24-2021, 10:21 PM   #13
Rookie

They said that the goal for the college football video game is 2023 which basically means 2 more maddens
Old 02-24-2021, 10:57 PM   #14
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by pokeballer246
They said that the goal for the college football video game is 2023 which basically means 2 more maddens
EA hasn't said anything concrete other than it isn't coming this year. 2023 would be my guess, but I wouldn't be shocked at all if next year sees it release. I'd honestly be more shocked if it didn't come out until 2024 than I would be if it came out next year in 2022. I think more work has been done than was let on by EA in their releases.

― Plato
Old 02-25-2021, 12:13 AM   #15
All Star

UFCMPunk's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by illwill10
Fully agree.

Coach Carousel has been a top community request for at least 4-5 years. One of the excuses has been since the coordinators aren't apart of the Coaches Association, they would have to individually license each coordinator. I could care less about real coordinators as long as we could edit them. The causal fan only knows the notable coordinators anyway. They could take the NHL approach with fictional ones. I still find it odd that NHL got coach Carousel before Madden.

But as you said, Madden implements features one year and doesn't expand on it. It's like only when a new feature is marketable, they'll work on it. They touted Scenario Engine as a big feature last year that they would build on, but didn't do much if anything this year. Traits haven't been touched since year 2 of implementation. For a game with bad AI and no tendency system, Traits could have made a huge impact
This 1000%. I'm fine with fake coordinators if you can't get the real ones as long as they are editable and their attribute bonuses are editable(IE + 5 Pass Blocking) just like Superstar X Factors are, it can work. Along side this I'd like to see Create A Coach added where we can create coaches that would appear as Free Agents in the offseason. Being able to create Urban Meyer, Matt Rhule, Jim Harbaugh or a HOF Coach like Joe Gibbs, John Madden, unofficially put Bill Belichick in the game lol.

I didn't buy Madden 21 and carrying on with my real life CFM that got thrown a loop due to all the roster rule changes but with 17 games coming on the horizon, I'll probably only be able to keep my real CFM on Madden 20 going for one more year if the NFL delays 17 games until 2022. So hopefully Madden 22 gives me a reason to move on and start a new real life CFM on there.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-25-2021, 07:50 AM   #16
MVP

ForUntoOblivionSoar∞'s Arena

Not a chance. Franchise will essentially be the same with about 80% or less of thst of things they said they’d put in. In addition, something we like will be removed, just like calling of edited names was removed (along with adding a ludicrous word filter).

Here is the bottom line: in order to get the football game we want, we’re going to have to start funding one of these independent studios so they can hire quality animators, designers and programmers familiar with sports game engines. And pray that they allow maximum customization.
https://forums.operationsports.com/forums/showpost.php?p=2049813056

Last edited by your mom; 06-06-2006 at 6:06 PM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football »