Home

Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work

This is a discussion on Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-19-2009, 12:34 PM   #41
Banned

bill2451's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: Breaking Down Sliders... How They Really Work

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
Thanks for your input!

Yes, I like to keep the User/CPU sliders as close to possible. I usually focus on CPU first to get them to play right, and then adjust User if I have to.

Reason I had Run Block so high was because the CPU seems to need a lot of help with running. It seems too easy to stuff them on just about every play.....but the suction blocks would suck. I'll drop it down then and see how it plays out.

//edited the post with the sliders
there will definately have to be a little fudging of realistic blocking, etc, to make up for poor AI (like the run game)

however the amount of fudging needed when everything else functions as it should is yet to be seen... hopefully it wont be as extreme as is currently needed to produce realistic stats
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 12:35 PM   #42
MVP

g2thecore's Arena

OVR: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justin Clark
G2, will you post your slider work-up that you said you created from bill's theory? would love to see em...
Yeah, they're a work in progress...but I will definitely post them later. I'm at work right now, so I can't really post them anytime soon. Expect something around 9 PM EST.
Old 08-19-2009, 12:52 PM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbz06
Based on your theories, would something like this be a good idea?

(bold means updated upon further discussion)
Are these for both human and cpu......because most sliders i see nothing its ever equal for both

i used them they are great......very realistic.....Redskins (me) 26 vs tampa 7

Leftwich 13-23 176yrds 4ints 0tds
ward 27 carries 40yrds
Graham 3car 7yrds 1td
askew 1carry 1yrd

Portis 20 carries 100yrds 1td
Campbell 12-33 169 0tds 1int
Campbell

i kicked 2 field goals had a pick 6

it was closer than the score indicates the pick 6 was at the end of the game so was the rushing td

Last edited by stmark; 08-19-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:54 PM   #44
Banned

bill2451's Arena

ok heres an experiment I would love for someone to try... I'm currently at work, but w/out playing a game, and if I had to put Human and CPU sliders the same, I am going to post a set I would use based solely on how the sliders effect the game and theoretically it could play out to make a realistic game

note I have not tried these sliders at all, so am completely unsure of the effectiveness certain degrees of sliders will have (aka how much better is a 75 pass rush vs an 85 pass rush)... I am simply sitting at work and quickly came up with a set that makes sense given the context of the rules... whether or not I go too extreme, or not extreme enough, is unknown because there was no prior testing

I also have no idea how good you guys are at the game, but if someone could play a few games with the following set of sliders and post how it went, it would be awesome...

Passing
QB Acc - 12
Pass Block - 5
WR Catch - 80

Rushing
Broken Tackles - 50
Run Block - 20
Fumbles - 45

Pass Defense
Reaction Time - 15
INT - 5
Pass Rush - 85

Rush Defense
Reaction Time - 10
Blk Shed - 75
Tackling - 0

One rule, you can't play defense on the D-line (unless that guy is dropping into coverage on that particular play, which is rare to say the least). You must play as a LB or in the secondary.

Pay close attention to how the blocking interacts... I expect the computer run game to struggle w/ these settings, i'm really just interested on hearing how the blocking interacts (both on the line and at the 2nd level)... if you want to try and see a good cpu run game, tune down the human BLK Shed to like 20 and see what that does... if the run game is too good, its probably the Brk Tackles being a little too high.

also pay attention to how the corners cover the WR... do they still seem to know the WR route and run it before the WR does? or is it toned down a little more?

dont worry so much about results as much as realistic interactions... the results can be tuned later with changes if the interactions seem good

just keep in mind i have not tested these at all, just threw them together while sitting here at work... but it'd be awesome if someone wanted to test them out

Last edited by bill2451; 08-19-2009 at 02:12 PM.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:15 PM   #45
Sitting by the door

Dice's Arena

OVR: 21

This is some great work. Would slider modifications remediate(or at least tone down) the passes to the flats issue? Thanks.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-19-2009, 02:16 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 9

Allright, I am going to test these now.

Will play 3 Games PIT vs. Ravens, 12 Mins, 25 sec. run-off, 65 Treshhold, 60/60 fatigue/injury, equal sliders for Human+CPU.

I will edit my results within this post.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:19 PM   #47
Banned

bill2451's Arena

Pitt vs Ravens huh... i would have tried to use two more balanced teams for testing lol... should be interesting though, and thanks for helping out!!!!

just curious which team you'll be...
Old 08-19-2009, 02:24 PM   #48
Banned

bill2451's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dice
This is some great work. Would slider modifications remediate(or at least tone down) the passes to the flats issue? Thanks.
that I do not know... I havent really tested everything together yet, just been simply isolating sliders to see their effect

so idk what will happen when everything comes together

that and I also havent tested every slider extensively either... for example WR Catching had some VERY unexpected results (read my long post on page 2 if you havent yet), so i'm wondering if I test things like INT's tonight what may happen (maybe low INT settings, which is what i've been playing with, causes the CPU to play more aggressively to make up for their poor interception skills, and then when i move INT's to 100 different things may happen that are unexpected... idk, i must test to see what strange things pop up)

so as of right now, nothing... it seems to largely be an AI problem though (you never know though) so trying to get settings to make up for it could cause the rest of the AI to be unrealistic

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »