Home

Do you like the direction EA is going?

This is a discussion on Do you like the direction EA is going? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-11-2007, 08:29 AM   #49
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Do you like the direction EA is going?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toper
I'm all for developing a new engine IF IT'S BETTER. With the next-gen games sofar, they have all been inferior to their current gen counterparts (IMO, strictly speaking of gameplay). 2k sports has shown (with their Nba 2k series) that you can tweak and improve upon an existing engine and still have excellent results. Which is what it's all about...frankly, the results for every 360 version of Madden have been extremely lacking in the following:
- gameplay
- controls (R-trigger to sprint?)
- lack of camera options
- piss-poor announcer
- gui (both menu and playcalling)
- bugs (interception, fumble, fatigue, sliders that don't work(!))
- fewer feature-set than current-gen...and on and on.

When one of the biggest things that ea is touting this year are the "gamer rings" and the ability to order your very own...well, you get my point.
Sure it's easier to tweak a current engine in the short run but in the long run the new engine will pay off for EA and consumers as the game is able to go much further into a next-gen game whereas 2K's games, albeit more solid in the short run, in the long run will just be last-gen.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 09-11-2007, 09:31 AM   #50
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
Sure it's easier to tweak a current engine in the short run but in the long run the new engine will pay off for EA and consumers as the game is able to go much further into a next-gen game whereas 2K's games, albeit more solid in the short run, in the long run will just be last-gen.
what good is longevity if the game is garrrrrbaaagggee?? what/where is the payoff?? and how long should you wait??....and as for the "new" madden engine, i'm not buying it. here we are 3 years in and the "new" engine still hasn't shown us anything new??

Last edited by mr_president; 09-11-2007 at 09:37 AM.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:50 AM   #51
MVP

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
If that was true the game would be alot more popular. In case you haven't noticed there are alot of people here who went back to the last gen version after having played the next gen versions. They say the two are nothing alike, which is why they stick to the last gen version. If they had simply ported the last gen game (like 2K did with APF) there would be alot less griping.
I agree that the last generation and current generation are not exactly the same. The last generation game is much more polished and has more options, but both the last and current generation share a lot of the same game play logic. I think if they had just ported the game right, current generation would have all of the options that the last generation has had for years.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2007, 01:31 PM   #52
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr_president
what good is longevity if the game is garrrrrbaaagggee?? what/where is the payoff?? and how long should you wait??....and as for the "new" madden engine, i'm not buying it. here we are 3 years in and the "new" engine still hasn't shown us anything new??
Well for starters, the game isn't "garbage". And secondly, if we ever want to see sports games progress then new engines and their inevitable growing pains will be necessary. You are probably one of the people who complain it's the same game year in and year out, but then howl like mad when they try to do better because it can create more bugs. Innovation at the cost of stability is part of the game industry.

And it's funny to hear this criticism leveled at EA considering the biggest complaint in the past has been that they just re-use the same engine over and over. LMAO @ people calling for ports. Just goes to show they can't win no matter what they do.

"It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have."

-William Munny- Unforgiven
Old 09-11-2007, 02:00 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 11

Quote:
Well for starters, the game isn't "garbage". And secondly, if we ever want to see sports games progress then new engines and their inevitable growing pains will be necessary. You are probably one of the people who complain it's the same game year in and year out, but then howl like mad when they try to do better because it can create more bugs. Innovation at the cost of stability is part of the game industry.

And it's funny to hear this criticism leveled at EA considering the biggest complaint in the past has been that they just re-use the same engine over and over. LMAO @ people calling for ports.
Just goes to show they can't win no matter what they do.[/quote]

i would love to see some new bugs, but in order for that to happen they first have to rid themselves of the old ones and that is the problem.....

i'm all for new, i don't care about making adjustments, and i am not one that rushes to judgement but there is nothing new here and my complaints have been the same for years because they haven't fixed the issues.

label me anything you want but it does not change the fact that this game is still hampered by bugs from 2000.

you speak of innovation??? innovation???what has this team done with madden that is innovative???

what they should do is get the basics right first and them move towards being innovative.

Quote:
Just goes to show they can't win no matter what they do.
last i heard the sales numbers said they are winning, we are the ones who can't win.

Last edited by mr_president; 09-11-2007 at 02:13 PM.
Old 09-11-2007, 09:23 PM   #54
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Can you give SPECIFIC examples on why you feel this way? I'm not trying to to give you a hard time, but your response is way too "general":

- You say this new engine "will pay off for EA and consumers"...how? 3 years into this new engine and it plays no better than the ps2/xbox versions (my opinion, which is shared by many). The only one getting "paid off" is EA for having exclusivity.

- How is this new engine "able to go much further into a next-gen game"? Again, please give examples of why you feel this way.

-Finally, you say in the long run, 2k's games "will just be last-gen"? Again, I point to the Nba 2k series and I'll also use the excellent MLB series from Sony: both games considered to be the BEST in their next-gen genre, while still using "old" engines.

Please convince me...I love the NFL, but I hate (next-gen) madden. I'm just not "feeling" your optimism, though.
Old 09-11-2007, 10:13 PM   #55
MVP

Hammerhunker's Arena

OVR: 22

In my opinion, both Madden sucks and so did NCAA for that matter. I can't accept an argument that the franchise needs to go through some growing pains. Mularky, the new gen offering is crap, and not even close to as fun as the PS2 and PS1 versions. I can't play Madden for the motion mechanics are gosh awful, and the game is played like having a cone on your head. You can only see right up the middle of the field, no vision to the outside, one camera angle. How can a game be released with one camera angle. Saddest of all, I spent money for this. I am a fool and I want to bawl because I don't have a decent real football game to play this year, and it looks like forever. The good old days are gone fellas.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-11-2007, 10:44 PM   #56
MVP

phant030's Arena

OVR: 14

I feel like the series needs more CPU upgrades (tendencies) and gameplay slider upgrades...All this "user" ish is ruining the series. To me, a lot of the user additions make up for AI flaws since the user player has no "awareness".

Also, please enhance mechanics better. After 4 years we are just getting Hit Stick 2.0. Should have been in Madden 06.

Tackle Power 90---ability to hit stick (Big Hit Weapon)
Everyone else Tackle stick...Wrap Up Stick ...Whateva!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »