Home

Do you like the direction EA is going?

This is a discussion on Do you like the direction EA is going? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-09-2007, 10:13 PM   #41
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: Do you like the direction EA is going?

No, I don't like their direction. The only direction I see them going in is producing incomplete games. Improved gameplay(still not great) with terrible presentation, glitches, bugs, and a sub par franchise(from what I hear... never started one since I haven't played in few weeks). At this rate, whenever they get to where they're going, next gen systems will be out, and we'll hear the same excuses all over again.

I did good since 2004, not buying their games, but the inclusion of gang tackling got me this year. Little did I know the game still sucked. Despite gang tackling, players still step on landmines. Blocking still looks terrible... in fact, player interaction is bad all over. No QB pocket, psychic DBs, sliders that do nothing... it goes on.

So they're focusing on presentation next year. If they neglect everything else like they did while focusing on gameplay, that means next year's game will be lackluster as well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-09-2007, 10:57 PM   #42
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIGHTNING
The next generation Madden does not really have a new game play engine, but the graphics are better. The old generation and new generation have way too much in common to be considered a new engine built from the ground up. They did refine some things like the animations, but the game play logic is very similar to the XBOX and PS2 versions. When EA said new engine they probably meant new graphics engine.
If that was true the game would be alot more popular. In case you haven't noticed there are alot of people here who went back to the last gen version after having played the next gen versions. They say the two are nothing alike, which is why they stick to the last gen version. If they had simply ported the last gen game (like 2K did with APF) there would be alot less griping.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:01 AM   #43
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by metallicatz
Keep in mind that the current gen versions have taken years and years of refinement to get to the point they're at now. These new games are new engines and it will take time to get the optimum performance out of them. It was no different on the last console cycle and it will be no different with this one (and every cycle that comes after). Pop in the PS2 version of Madden 2001 and then pop in the PS2 Madden 2008. See a difference? Of course we do. It takes time to build an engine to its peak. I don't think many people want a last gen port for a 2nd console cycle. As time moves forward the technology will be pushed to its limit and this next gen round of games will reach its own peak.
You make a good point, but if that's the "direction" that EA has chosen (rebuild from ground up rather than refine existing engine) then I don't like the "direction" they've chosen to take (which is the theme of this thread). I wish they would have gone the 2k route and just refined an already "tried and true" engine (worked helluv good for the NBA 2k series).

I agree that it takes time. With that said, how much time do you want to give them? I think 3 years is waaay too long considering what we have now after that much time (IMO, a broken game). The fact is, EA has our money NOW, so we should expect results NOW (ie, if we can find interception/fumble probs within a week of release, then patch the damn game already). We should not have to make or take any excuses from gaming companies, especially one as big as EA.

Last edited by Toper; 09-10-2007 at 12:05 AM.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:50 PM   #44
Banned

OVR: 17

I'm not making excuses for them, but it is what it is. The game has come a LONG way since Madden 06 at launch. At that time I was a die hard 2K fan but found a used copy. I was so disgusted with it I took it back after 3 days and sold it. Madden 07 in my book was a big leap and at was at least playable. I haven't played the 08 version yet as I was taken up with APF for a while and now NCAA 08. But it sounds like EA isn't listening to its fanbase and making the proper adjustments quick enough. I'm kind of surprised because I figured that when that dude RAC from the old Madden Nation site got hired he'd be able to get across to them the level of discontent among the hardcore fanbase as well as the rapidly declining reputation EA now has. He seemed like one of the guys that wasn't just another fanboy with a Madden fansite (unlike another guy from there i could mention.....and I don't mean Fred).

I'm of the opinion that a game shouldn't use the same engine for two console cycles. That's just half ***. While I agree the 2K engine was by far the most solid of the last gen engines, it just feels really stale now. That engine represented pretty much the very limit of what the last gen technology could achieve. I say we find out what the next gen technology can do with a little time spent under the hood. I hope 2K comes to the table with a new engine for 2K9 because I know they'll actually spend the time and effort to refine it as quickly as possible, where EA will take their time and try to nickle and dime us for piddly stuff in the Live Marketplace. But if 2K9 isn't a serious departure from 2K8 I won't buy it, at least not new. I'll get it used because I won't support a company financially that half asses it. EA hasn't seen any of my money since 2005 for one of its football games. And as far as the 2K engine in the next gen , I don't like the idea of paying $60 for a game I paid $20 for 3 years ago (with a small fraction of the features and no NFL license). If I want to play 2K5, i'll just pop in 2K5 and play with NFL teams.

Last edited by metallicatz; 09-10-2007 at 12:56 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:57 PM   #45
Pro

OVR: 8

I don't know which direction they are going . NCAA was cool, Madden sucked, NASCAR sucked worse, skate. looks good, etc etc. Or is this a Madden only thing?

Pretty much anything developed by Tiburon or EA Canada or whatever the hell its called, I will rent, but not buy.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-10-2007, 06:48 PM   #46
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
I'm of the opinion that a game shouldn't use the same engine for two console cycles.
I'm all for developing a new engine IF IT'S BETTER. With the next-gen games sofar, they have all been inferior to their current gen counterparts (IMO, strictly speaking of gameplay). 2k sports has shown (with their Nba 2k series) that you can tweak and improve upon an existing engine and still have excellent results. Which is what it's all about...frankly, the results for every 360 version of Madden have been extremely lacking in the following:
- gameplay
- controls (R-trigger to sprint?)
- lack of camera options
- piss-poor announcer
- gui (both menu and playcalling)
- bugs (interception, fumble, fatigue, sliders that don't work(!))
- fewer feature-set than current-gen...and on and on.

When one of the biggest things that ea is touting this year are the "gamer rings" and the ability to order your very own...well, you get my point.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:03 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by phant030
I enjoy the games...see loads of potential, def in escape animations. I would love to see some "almost" escapes...and less huge hits but more wrap up tackles....I think they need to focus on gameplay movement & coach/player tendencies...not attributes, but they're welcome,too.
In other words, they need to work on the little things. I agree. That's where EA seems to miss the mark most. They've got to come to the realization that the little things do matter and they together add up to a big thing.
Old 09-11-2007, 02:05 AM   #48
All Star

inkcil's Arena

OVR: 23

Quote:
Keep in mind that the current gen versions have taken years and years of refinement to get to the point they're at now. These new games are new engines and it will take time to get the optimum performance out of them. It was no different on the last console cycle and it will be no different with this one (and every cycle that comes after). Pop in the PS2 version of Madden 2001 and then pop in the PS2 Madden 2008. See a difference? Of course we do. It takes time to build an engine to its peak. I don't think many people want a last gen port for a 2nd console cycle. As time moves forward the technology will be pushed to its limit and this next gen round of games will reach its own peak.
pop in Madden 2005 and then pop in Madden 2008...where is the difference there?

Ok, other than "vision cone."

Now Playing:

XB1 (Forza Motorsport 6 and Horizon 2)
Switch (Mario Kart and Zelda)
PS3 (old 2k games and the Show)

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »