Home

3 Pros & 3 Cons of Madden 2009

This is a discussion on 3 Pros & 3 Cons of Madden 2009 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-13-2008, 11:59 PM   #9
49ers

adembroski's Arena

OVR: 43
Re: 3 Pros & 3 Cons of Madden 2009

Positives
* Total Control Animations and Breakout Animations for running game. This is perhaps a sign of what could be the biggest leap forward in sports games----- Ever. A huge step forward in realism and fun factor.
* Color/graphics/models. Outstanding look to a game. My one complaint would be the grass textures seem overdone... too busy. Otherwise, it's outstanding.
* Franchise stats. I've been waiting for this for too long, and it's the primary reason I haven't played a console Madden since 2006.

Negatives
* No computer sliders. I really like to fine tune my game until it feels perfect, and I am hard pressed to do that this year.
* Franchise regression. I think we're close to nailing down the cause of no franchise progression, and there's a way to fix the crap draft logic (thankfully) and make it respectable, so it's the lack of vets regressing that's on my nerves now.
* Still no Fargo. You include Bismarck, but not Fargo. I realize Bismarck is the capital, but Fargo is the only city in the state bigger than Green Bay. Neither city will ever realistically have an NFL team, but if it were to happen, it'd be Fargo LONG before Bismarck. It's like having a team in Oakland but not L.A..

Oh, wait....

The first kind is wrong. The second is superfluous.

The only difference between reality and fiction is that fiction needs to be credible.
-Mark Twain.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:03 AM   #10
Rookie

OVR: 8

3 Positives:
1. Adaptive A.I
2. Chris Collinsworth
3. Total control animation

3 Negatives:
1. Lack luster presentation
- Need Pre-Game, Halftime and Post-Game segments
2. Pinpoint acccuracy and perfect reads by the CPU QB's
3. HUM/CPU running game needs to be stronger
- Shouldn't be averaging 25+ carries for less than 70 yards with great RB's

Last edited by Moshood; 08-14-2008 at 12:07 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 12:08 AM   #11
Banned

OVR: 9

+'s
graphics are fantastic
some real cool annimations
(can't think of anymore)

-'s
gameplay is horrid compared to last gen
the game freezes up
Options are stripped down (no create a play, no online franhcise or spawn game, no passing cone (passing sucks overall))
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 02:31 AM   #12
Straight Edge

DXZeke's Arena

OVR: 21

Pros

+ The passing game feels more like the PS2 finally
+ The running game is quite fun and kick some serious ____ once you learn the breaking/branching tech they have.
+ Graphically Tiburon has done a great job
+ The Madden IQ - Adaptive AI (now if you could have control of the CPU sliders)
+ Cris Collinsworth (probably the best commentary in any Madden game to date)

Cons

- CPU Rushing could be better
- CPU snapping the ball way to quickly (Eli, Payton, Brady, etc all use the majority of their clock to read the field and make adjustments)
- Needs more flash on the presentation (more like flashy overlays, etc as you'd see on Sunday/Monday night fooball). It's improved by far over the past few years.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:00 AM   #13
Rookie

PuddleMonkey's Arena

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DXZeke
Mods if you think this is a good idea I'd love to see a topic like this sticked for the Madden Team guys.
We have way too many stickies already. I was gonna make a thread about this forum having too many stickies but I was afraid it might get stickied as well.

Last edited by PuddleMonkey; 08-14-2008 at 04:10 AM.
Old 08-14-2008, 04:17 AM   #14
MVP

jewelz1132's Arena

OVR: 12

Pros:
- User Offense, everything running, passing, and being able to break down a defense
- Miami Dolphins white on whites
- Tackling

Cons:
- Freezing and completely being disconnected from xbl or having connection dropping during online games..the connection has be dropping very frequently
-Graphics..their absolutely great..great but it seems like every year the players smaller/shorter to a point it reminds me of lastgen..tattoos and other lil things need to be added also to add individualism to the players
-CPU offense..over accurate bums and being able to hold teams under 25yds rushing a game
Old 08-14-2008, 06:14 AM   #15
Rookie

OVR: 3

Pro's

1. Adaptive AI
2. Graphics
3. Wembley Stadium for the Saints game against the Chargers

Con's

1. No Head Coach for Europe
2. No Head Coach for PC
3. Wembley Stadium not on Play Now on Next Gen consoles
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-14-2008, 06:57 AM   #16
Rookie

OVR: 16

Great thread.

+ Ballcarrier control and 60 fps animation. (Best in Series)
+ Graphical Improvements: Lighting, Models, Textures, Movie Weather, Color Temp (Best in Series)
+ Rewind and BackTrack are two welcome additions to the franchise.

- Lackluster NFL details/atmosphere still crippling immersion (Officiating Crews [huge], Chain Gangs, Robust Animated Sidelines)
- Commentary is too vague, repetitive, generic. Hammond is choppy.
- No cutscenes. Games are fun but still feel emotionally empty. No 'epic' feeling to each game. (Football is VERY cinematic on television - note how the director 'cuts' the game live....with close ups and slow zooms of coaches or key players prior to the snap in crucial situations. Those shots heighten the intensity of the moment and are part of what makes sports so enthralling.)

-SeventhWard

EDIT: I wanted to include a visual reference for my use of the terms "cinematic, epic and emotional". I found this video rather quickly on YouTube, and I think it hits the nail on the head. Take note of everything aside from the actual gameplay. (Refs running in for the ball, players pleading for a good spot, coaches running on to the field, multiple replays of big plays/epic moments, cameramen who come onto the field, close ups of players before and after the play, reaction shots of the crowd, the owners box) Every shot helps tell the story of the game and add to the 'epic' feeling of witnessing the organized chaos of 29 men (players AND refs) make a football game happen. I think Madden should reflect that.

Last edited by SeventhWard; 08-14-2008 at 07:19 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »