Home

Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 11:35 AM   #25
Banned

mvandor's Arena

OVR: 7
Re: Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by carnalnirvava
in the game, speed Wr are cheated by the " cheesy Db back peddle" the Wr is trying to jet down field and the Db is running back wards and still keeping up for 10 + yds, and then they turn and accelerate on a dime, thats the problem....

if you notice in the vid after moss got by the Db he had to turn and lost another step in trying to catch up...

we complained about the deep ball being easy and the "Db back peddle" is EA answer to counter the deep pass....

Really, one of the worst AI issues in the game, just below the blocking AI. NO ONE back pedals for 20 yards downfield, and no one can maintain the speed the AI DB's do in that backpedal. It's all just a cheat to take away the deep ball, one of Ian's obvious priorities. Your WR can be 90+ in speed and acceleration and can't separate from a low 80's in speed/acceleration CB on a fly pattern - while the CB is backpedaling 20 yards downfield.

Just horrid.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 11:37 AM   #26
MVP

Spanky's Arena

OVR: 22

So, in summary, would most agree a higher speed threshold, in the 70-75 range, while playing on slow speed setting, is the best way to go?

"What? You can't challenge a scoring play?''
Old 08-23-2009, 12:21 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
So, in summary, would most agree a higher speed threshold, in the 70-75 range, while playing on slow speed setting, is the best way to go?
Good question. I would like to know the answer to this as well.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:27 PM   #28
All Star

Jasong7777's Arena

OVR: 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spanky
I play on slow speed and I have mine set at 35. Works pretty well for me.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:44 PM   #29
3-4 Defense

roll2tide's Arena

OVR: 13
Cool Re: Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!!

Another issue with speed is that the rest of the game doesn't play the way it should if you give guys like Moss their true speed/acceleration. Some of the plays in video show the QB hitting a quick, high arc, deep lob and letting Moss run under it. The reason this play is open is because of 1-on-1 coverage created when teams blitz. That blitz in the NFL gets there in a hurry. In Madden, that blitz doesn't do that. QBs have a lot more time in Madden.

I think that's why EA has always struggled so much to really make a game that simulates NFL on the field action. They tweak things to allow more pressure but they get the WR/DB interaction and speeds wrong. They work on the WR/DB interaction and they get the OL/DL interactions wrong. They work on the OL/DL and the running game doesn't work right.

As long as QBs can consistently do sprint outs and 15 yard drop backs(and yes, they still can though it's toned down some) then giving skill players their true speed would be a game killer.

Imo, EA needs to 100% scrap the NG engine and start over. They just keep patching it and putting band-aids on it and seem to only be able to fix 1 or 2 areas at a time but just can't get a complete game together in terms of speed, AI, play recognition, and situational awareness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggsimmonds
You're doing it wrong EA

Twitter roll2tide
Old 08-23-2009, 12:47 PM   #30
Pro

parrothead's Arena

OVR: 9

I like Normal speed threshold at 0-5. Plays fine lots of 21-13 games, and speedy scat backs, are definetly speedy, not so much scatty, but speedy.
Old 08-23-2009, 12:48 PM   #31
Pro

OVR: 9

Im jumping in a little late but I'm gonna throw in my two cents.

For years, one of the most abused things in Madden has been the ability to throw to the SLOT receiver. The guy could be 70 overall, but if he has 98 speed compared to the linebacker with 80 speed, all you ever see is an opponent who throws crossing routes at you all day. Because of that, it takes away emphasis from your one and two receiver who are much more talented because they have more speed matched up against them, and this year is no exception. These guys still rarely drop passes even with a backer right on his back shoulder.

With that said, I feel speed should be a small factor in this game. Its too easy to abuse especially with the stretch ratings. I feel like running with the Tennessee Titans is probably one of the cheesiest things in the game. I mean I'm not gonna make a big deal about it, but its toss play, toss play, counter play, play action pass, screen pass, etc. Chris Johnson is just so fast that all you have to do is stretch the play outside and he is going to outrun the other players and get out of bounds after 5-8 yards almost every times. Sure this is stopped on occasion, but his speed in all facets of the game are very difficult to stop when you are facing an opponent who knows football.

Maybe next year they should re-look at speed in this game and maybe close the ratings back in a little bit.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 01:08 PM   #32
MVP

jorge380's Arena

OVR: 13

Where do you change threshold speed in franchise?I only see it in the main menu screen.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »