Home

Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!!

This is a discussion on Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 08-23-2009, 01:09 PM   #33
MVP

OVR: 10
Re: Speed Threshold Talk!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoleFan
This threshold talk is interesting. I've been playing random exhibition games trying to get my MySkill situated before I start a franchise and I switch the game speed to fast with the threshold at 0.

I'm coaching a game of ARI @ OAK (me) and Chris Johnson intercepted Matt Leinart (Warner out a few plays being evaluated) and took it back 43 yds for the score to tie the game @ 21 in the 3rd quarter.

What was so interesting about the return was the speed of it. Boldin and Breaston both chased Johnson to the endzone. Boldin has an 89 speed and I could see distance being created between he and Johnson during the return. Breaston, on the other hand, has an speed of 91 which is identical to Johnson and the distance between the 2 remained the same during the return. I thought that was intriguing.
And thats the way it should be! Boldin should never catch him, and neither should have Preston! Its like saying one car is five yards ahead of the other car and there both doing 60mph there is no way the car in back should catch the one in front.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:12 PM   #34
Banned

mvandor's Arena

OVR: 7

This subject gives me a migraine, no consensus, from 0 to 100 debates, from Slow to Very Fast.

My head hurts.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:22 PM   #35
MVP

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by rjsuperfly66
Im jumping in a little late but I'm gonna throw in my two cents.

For years, one of the most abused things in Madden has been the ability to throw to the SLOT receiver. The guy could be 70 overall, but if he has 98 speed compared to the linebacker with 80 speed, all you ever see is an opponent who throws crossing routes at you all day. Because of that, it takes away emphasis from your one and two receiver who are much more talented because they have more speed matched up against them, and this year is no exception. These guys still rarely drop passes even with a backer right on his back shoulder.

With that said, I feel speed should be a small factor in this game. Its too easy to abuse especially with the stretch ratings. I feel like running with the Tennessee Titans is probably one of the cheesiest things in the game. I mean I'm not gonna make a big deal about it, but its toss play, toss play, counter play, play action pass, screen pass, etc. Chris Johnson is just so fast that all you have to do is stretch the play outside and he is going to outrun the other players and get out of bounds after 5-8 yards almost every times. Sure this is stopped on occasion, but his speed in all facets of the game are very difficult to stop when you are facing an opponent who knows football.

Maybe next year they should re-look at speed in this game and maybe close the ratings back in a little bit.
And this is were I truly believe strategy comes into play. I have my threshold now set at 15. Ok sorry for bringing up Al Davis but why do you think he puts so much emphases on SPEED. Even though it has not worked out for him. When my friends used the TItans I love it cause you HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT CHRIS JOHNSON EVERY PLAY I always slant my D-line out wide or to the wide side of the field because I dont want Johnson getting outside. And I usually play with my OLB outside my DE again because I dont want him getting outside and this is the way it should be why do you think Johnson was so effective last year because of his speed.
Also the 80 Lb speed SHOULD NEVER KEEP UP WITH A 98 Speed WR. BUT the way you counter that is you get Physical. I know that sounds stupid, but when people go 3 wide on me I ALWAYS Bump the slot receiver example my my friend was using the Raiders with DHB in the slot he has I think 96+ speed so what I would do is I would either use my nickel LB and ALWAYS try to bump him, and when you do that this year it has a great effect on the Timing and WR route running.
Honestly guys I truly think that this year you have to use strategy you can just line-up in the same D and except to shut down the O. And if you have someone that is FAST yo have to account for him.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 08-23-2009, 01:28 PM   #36
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram209
And this is were I truly believe strategy comes into play. I have my threshold now set at 15. Ok sorry for bringing up Al Davis but why do you think he puts so much emphases on SPEED. Even though it has not worked out for him. When my friends used the TItans I love it cause you HAVE TO WORRY ABOUT CHRIS JOHNSON EVERY PLAY I always slant my D-line out wide or to the wide side of the field because I dont want Johnson getting outside. And I usually play with my OLB outside my DE again because I dont want him getting outside and this is the way it should be why do you think Johnson was so effective last year because of his speed.
Also the 80 Lb speed SHOULD NEVER KEEP UP WITH A 98 Speed WR. BUT the way you counter that is you get Physical. I know that sounds stupid, but when people go 3 wide on me I ALWAYS Bump the slot receiver example my my friend was using the Raiders with DHB in the slot he has I think 96+ speed so what I would do is I would either use my nickel LB and ALWAYS try to bump him, and when you do that this year it has a great effect on the Timing and WR route running.
Honestly guys I truly think that this year you have to use strategy you can just line-up in the same D and except to shut down the O. And if you have someone that is FAST yo have to account for him.
Except my point is, look at your typical SLOT receivers. How many catches do they make a year, maybe 30. In Madden, they never drop a pass, and are always open across the middle. The defense shows no awareness and doesnt get physical and just lets him waltz through middle of field. Because of this, slot receivers in most online games I've seen avg 5-7 catches a game. #1 and #2 receivers combined get about 2-4. Running backs get about 7-9. This balance just does not make sense, and its all because of speed. Players afraid to throw to #1 or #2 because they have quick corners on them, which is understandable, so instead its cross city all game. Only zone to really stop it is cover 2, and we all know that d is weak sauce. There are some defenses out of 3-3-5 that take care of it, but then you leave yourself totally open to run. In this game, speed outplays skill, which in real football is not really true. Speed and skill are greater then just having the skill, but just having speed and a 70 overall means you should be garbage.
Old 08-23-2009, 01:45 PM   #37
Banned

OVR: 6

I have my game set to normal with the threshold at 43. This makes it to where guys aren't getting torched every play, but makes the deep ball a little more possible. I might complete at the most, 3-4 deep balls a game. Not slants or posts, but streaks. Against good db like Asomugha, its obviously less. Elite wrs play elite against lesser dbs, but they are still relatively balanced against elite dbs even if they are slower than my wideouts.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:36 PM   #38
Rookie

OVR: 2

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadox
Treshld at 0 is ridiciclous,btw.
Make a speed test for your own...it's not like at Treshold 100 players wouldn't separate. Furtheremore, there a different initial animations for the run, one of them gives an advantage of about 0,5 yrd. By widen the threhold (0) that even becomes worst.

But thats only my 2 cents and also it depends highly on your game speed setting.
Threshold 100 is definitely ridiculous.
Old 08-23-2009, 02:46 PM   #39
MVP

OVR: 13

Normal speed with 50 threshold has proven to give the exact speed.
Old 08-23-2009, 03:15 PM   #40
Banned

OVR: 6

50 was ok, but Nick Harper was stride stride with Eddie Royal almost every play.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »