Home

EA's IMPACT PHYSICS ENGINE!!! When can we expect in Madden? Clips inside this thread!

This is a discussion on EA's IMPACT PHYSICS ENGINE!!! When can we expect in Madden? Clips inside this thread! within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-23-2011, 08:15 AM   #17
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11
Re: EA's IMPACT PHYSICS ENGINE!!! When can we expect in Madden? Clips inside this thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfullback
I feel like it's not respecting weight quite right. The tackler just went through his animation like it was nothing while the ball carrier flipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jagsrock95
^^^ It seems as if almost every collision one of the players will put up little to no resistance once they collide as if contact= instant ragdoll.
While it doesn't look 100% correct, it is very close to real life in my opinion. And I prefer very close to real life as opposed to the collision system FIFA used to feature.

Old 05-23-2011, 10:39 AM   #18
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16
Re: EA's IMPACT PHYSICS ENGINE!!! When can we expect in Madden? Clips inside this thr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Footballfullback
I feel like it's not respecting weight quite right. The tackler just went through his animation like it was nothing while the ball carrier flipped.
Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
While it doesn't look 100% correct, it is very close to real life in my opinion. And I prefer very close to real life as opposed to the collision system FIFA used to feature.

I think his issue was more with the guy doing the taking out, as opposed to the guy that got taken out. The player that got upended looks fine, but the player that did the upending seems to have regained his balance from the impact in a superhuman fashion.

He looked like he just did Lord Vega's (M. Bison in the US) slide move from Street Fighter.
Old 05-23-2011, 11:46 AM   #19
Observer

guaps's Arena

OVR: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I think his issue was more with the guy doing the taking out, as opposed to the guy that got taken out. The player that got upended looks fine, but the player that did the upending seems to have regained his balance from the impact in a superhuman fashion.

He looked like he just did Lord Vega's (M. Bison in the US) slide move from Street Fighter.
I understood that. As I said, the tackle doesn't look 100% correct, but it's a lot better than what the previous collision system has been able to deliver. For me, getting that animation right is cosmetics. Had he been sliding and morphing into the tackle, then it had been another issue

And while getting a collision system in Madden is a much needed upgrade, it has had lots of limitations for FIFA - most noticeably random collisions, which occur more often in football than soccer. In FIFA the collision system hasn't been able to handle unintended collisions (collisions that weren't triggered) that well, so I'm very keen on seeing how Madden will handle things like pass interference in the new system.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:59 PM   #20
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by guaps
I understood that. As I said, the tackle doesn't look 100% correct, but it's a lot better than what the previous collision system has been able to deliver. For me, getting that animation right is cosmetics. Had he been sliding and morphing into the tackle, then it had been another issue

And while getting a collision system in Madden is a much needed upgrade, it has had lots of limitations for FIFA - most noticeably random collisions, which occur more often in football than soccer. In FIFA the collision system hasn't been able to handle unintended collisions (collisions that weren't triggered) that well, so I'm very keen on seeing how Madden will handle things like pass interference in the new system.

I'd say it looked 50% correct.

The slide was fine, but how he recovered was most certainly not. Lord Vega would be proud
Old 05-23-2011, 03:12 PM   #21
Banned

OVR: 0

looks amazing i'm pumped.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-23-2011, 05:59 PM   #22
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I think that you are missing the intent of the original post, AJ. I know that these things don't exist in Madden yet, so your answer is relevant. But here's the bigger question, "why not?" Since the other football game has come out, physics are huge in most Maddenite's thoughts as to what should be a top priority. That said, the other game has nowhere near the AI or polish. But it does beg to be asked why Fifa, an EA title, is so far ahead interms of both an ability to capture the game it seeks to emulate in terms of feel, and now they are getting down to the minutae of what makes "football" football. Fifa has had it's share of defensive problems. Let's rip the AI's guts out and re-write. Let's fix it..... And the aforementioned "impact engine." There's tons of what all that will change in the game.

Now, back to the matter of this game. I am cautiously optomistic. But it doesn't help to keep my hopes up for this being a first choice title as we hear about all of the new shiny improvements in NCAA or Fifa. I hate to use the term "tweak" but it really seems that there is a whole lot of that. Stuff is being trumped up as revolutionary, but it's not. Really... The player models are way down the sports game spectrum as far as being "lifelike." They don't have the locomotion that other topshelf sports games have, like Fifa. Even PES' vids appear that they gotten to full 360 degree fluid movement with the no more stiff-legged running. And we are still waiting to see if NBA2k can get any more lifelike. Get rid of the stupid "run at a 45-degree angle to not go go out of bounds" animation, a little locomtion tweak toward the movement of NBA Live '10 and you've got "uncanny valley" supreme.

It's nice that there is a three year plan. Respected. But the problem is that Madden's spot in three years will still be two years behind all of the other sports games. It really can't be that hard to say that putting 25-30 collision points on a player is doable. They are doing it on other games. Maybe it's harder for football. But it is no less important. Not when other games are already doing it. And showing that it really does change the game toward being a true "simulation." BTW, it'd be nice for that physics engine to really work in the line. That's where true football is played....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-23-2011, 06:15 PM   #23
Semi-retired

BrianFifaFan's Arena

OVR: 50

I just had a follow-on thought. Madden shouldn't aim to be the "best Madden ever." It should aim to be the best sports game, ever. Whatever that takes....

A great product sells itself, no "back of the box" features required! (See Fifa...)

Old 05-23-2011, 06:22 PM   #24
Hall Of Fame

canes21's Arena

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrianFifaFan
I just had a follow-on thought. Madden shouldn't aim to be the "best Madden ever." It should aim to be the best sports game, ever. Whatever that takes....
That would probably require them to start over because most of the reasons we hear about things not being put in are because of the current engine and the way they first built the game for 06.

I'd be a lot happier to start over gameplay wise though, not features wise, but I don't even know if that is possible.

― Plato

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »