Home

Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

This is a discussion on Signature Animations: Where's the Love? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 05-14-2013, 09:27 PM   #41
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34
Re: Signature Animations: Where's the Love?

Quote:
Originally Posted by WDOgF0reL1fe
I think the main difference is the fact that NBA and MLB are more Individual sports as opposed to NFL which is a team driven sport.

People identify with superstars more in MLB and NBA than in the NFL. Do NFL players have their own unique thing about them that makes them different from other NFL players? Absolutely.
I agree with your general premise, but the argument could be made this gives Tiburon even less of an excuse to not have quality sig animations for Madden. Why? Because Madden doesn't need nearly the amount of signature animations as NBA2K requires.

Let's look at NBA2K. 30 NBA teams, right? Would we say that on average, 3 players on each team have player-specific animations?

That's roughly 90 players that 2K has to mimick (just a guess-timate, I actually think most starters have their own animations). And that doesn't include the animations that are unique, but not player-specific that they capture.

In Madden, you really only need player-specific animations for the starting QBs (and notable backups). What's that, 40-50 players that have to be replicated? Using my uneducated numbers, that's only about half of what NBA2K captures from a player-specific perspective. And EA is widely-known to have state of the art mo-cap facilities.

As far as other positions on the field, they don't have to be player specific. We wouldn't need a Calvin Johnson run style, but why shouldn't we have a package of generic long stride run animations for the WRs that run that way? We don't need a Darrelle Revis backpedal, but why not have a package of sound DB-techniques for the elite CBs?

I think the way to go is player specific for the QBs (they're recognizeable to even the common fan) and use unique-but-generic for other positions simply to illustrate that players have different styles of running, catching, defending, blocking, etc.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-14-2013, 09:38 PM   #42
MVP

alabamarob's Arena

OVR: 5

good post. There are way more sig animations in 2k then you posted. If madden just did the drop backs, throwing animations, pocket movements of 60 qbs they would be about 10 to 15 percent where 2k was in 2k11.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RGiles36
I agree with your general premise, but the argument could be made this gives Tiburon even less of an excuse to not have quality sig animations for Madden. Why? Because Madden doesn't need nearly the amount of signature animations as NBA2K requires.

Let's look at NBA2K. 30 NBA teams, right? Would we say that on average, 3 players on each team have player-specific animations?

That's roughly 90 players that 2K has to mimick (just a guess-timate, I actually think most starters have their own animations). And that doesn't include the animations that are unique, but not player-specific that they capture.

In Madden, you really only need player-specific animations for the starting QBs (and notable backups). What's that, 40-50 players that have to be replicated? Using my uneducated numbers, that's only about half of what NBA2K captures from a player-specific perspective. And EA is widely-known to have state of the art mo-cap facilities.

As far as other positions on the field, they don't have to be player specific. We wouldn't need a Calvin Johnson run style, but why shouldn't we have a package of generic long stride run animations for the WRs that run that way? We don't need a Darrelle Revis backpedal, but why not have a package of sound DB-techniques for the elite CBs?

I think the way to go is player specific for the QBs (they're recognizeable to even the common fan) and use unique-but-generic for other positions simply to illustrate that players have different styles of running, catching, defending, blocking, etc.

Youtube: 2k Hawks

Settings I play on.
Minutes: 12
Difficulty: HOF
Online or Offline player: Both
In a MLO: Yes
Old 05-14-2013, 09:40 PM   #43
Pro

OVR: 9

Quote:

For real and if you look in NBA 2k they have a huge amount of specific animations. They have specific animations for dribbling, shot base, shot form, layups, and dunks. The amount of specific animations in that game is ridiculous not to mention I heard from a dev that they add new animations to players through roster updates depending on how a person is playing in real life.
Old 05-15-2013, 08:47 AM   #44
Banned

OVR: 10

Madden 12 had run styles such as long stride normal stride and short stride, I'm not sure if this made it over to 13.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:23 AM   #45
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
And EA is widely-known to have state of the art mo-cap facilities.
I was right there with you, man... until you said this lol.

Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 05-15-2013, 11:05 AM   #46
MVP

RGiles36's Arena

OVR: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Only1LT
I was right there with you, man... until you said this lol.

How those facilities translate to the game is another story, but my understanding has been that EA has access to some of the best mo cap facilities in the industry. I'm saying nothing about the quality of work that's done there, just the facilities.
Old 05-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #47
Stop The GOAT Talk

SageInfinite's Arena

OVR: 40

Yeah I don't know if it's the one Tiburon uses, but the one in Vancouver is supposedly one of the largest and best equipped in the world.

Quote:
Located in Vancouver, B.C., Canada, EA's state-of-the-art mocap facility is one of the largest and best equipped in the world. The studio has well over 100 cameras deployed to capture motion and has over 200 video game titles to its credit.

SageInfinite Bandcamp
https://sageinfinite.bandcamp.com/album/interminable
https://soundcloud.com/sageinfinite
Hidden Language Video Feat. Grandmilly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hf5nW4rGTFM

#makethemaddenforumgreatagain
Old 05-15-2013, 11:45 AM   #48
MVP

Only1LT's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
How those facilities translate to the game is another story, but my understanding has been that EA has access to some of the best mo cap facilities in the industry. I'm saying nothing about the quality of work that's done there, just the facilities.
I knew exactly what you meant. Just couldn't pass an opportunity to take a dig at them lol.

Seriously though, I know that their mo-cap facility is large and uber expensive, but how "state of the art" it actually is, based on the end product, I think has to come into question.

Last edited by Only1LT; 05-15-2013 at 11:47 AM.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »