Home

Finding balance using sliders

This is a discussion on Finding balance using sliders within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-15-2012, 07:44 PM   #17
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Finding balance using sliders

I am LOST,..he says keep sliders at a 100!!!! but when I do the math,..40/55 is 95 and he has a few more that don't add up to 100... Not sure what his point is
Old 09-15-2012, 07:59 PM   #18
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willIam9387
http://www.operationsports.com/forum...lider-set.html

Great minds think a like, yesterday I posted these sliders I was using and I thought I had an epiphany with balance and was the only one, but I just read your thread and know now I have some company. Really balancing the sets at 100 is the answer for the solution issue of non-challenging gameplay. I have been surprised to see with the slider set I'm using, how the computer targets its best wideouts and also gives the ball to its runningback when he is gashing me bigtime for yardage. The computer has that killer mentality when slider balance is achieved. I seriously think this is how the EA slider system works, if you establish too many values far away from the 50 defaults, and don't balance to 100, the gameplay system is compromised and you start seeing some wacky results. If you'd like to do some testing in online CCM let me know, I think we are onto something here. I'm going to try All-Madden next with this theory.
I agree we are on to something as well. As far as game level, All-Pro seems to have the best pure AI as far as decisions the CPU is making. Seems on ALL-Pro, and the balanced sliders, that the CPU has a higher pass/run ratio and the teams that are more pass heavy tend to pass more. Also I have noticed CPU teams adjusting better through the course of the game.

Our slider balance theory is different. You are keeping yours balanced between the same slider for USER and CPU. Mine are balanced through the on the field interactions, like between QB accuracy and PD react time.

With default settings on any level, all sliders=100 no matter what relation you make between the sliders themselves. No one has every really figured out how they relate to each other and EA has never provided anything to us to help.

I relate the sliders for USER/CPU based on direct interaction between the USER and CPU team. If you think about it, if your trying to make one thing better you have to take away as well.

What Game Speed have you been using? With set I am using, Fast seems to be the best and speeds up the AI of the CPU. I was using normal, and have tried Slow, Very Slow, and Very Fast. Fast seems to where its at with out being so fast that the players look like ants running around.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:11 PM   #19
Pro

willIam9387's Arena

OVR: 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by akita7334
I agree we are on to something as well. As far as game level, All-Pro seems to have the best pure AI as far as decisions the CPU is making. Seems on ALL-Pro, and the balanced sliders, that the CPU has a higher pass/run ratio and the teams that are more pass heavy tend to pass more. Also I have noticed CPU teams adjusting better through the course of the game.

Our slider balance theory is different. You are keeping yours balanced between the same slider for USER and CPU. Mine are balanced through the on the field interactions, like between QB accuracy and PD react time.

With default settings on any level, all sliders=100 no matter what relation you make between the sliders themselves. No one has every really figured out how they relate to each other and EA has never provided anything to us to help.

I relate the sliders for USER/CPU based on direct interaction between the USER and CPU team. If you think about it, if your trying to make one thing better you have to take away as well.

What Game Speed have you been using? With set I am using, Fast seems to be the best and speeds up the AI of the CPU. I was using normal, and have tried Slow, Very Slow, and Very Fast. Fast seems to where its at with out being so fast that the players look like ants running around.
I've been using normal, simulates the pace of the game well to me, but then again I might not have the reactions as you do lol. But I'd say with game speed, it's more based on the reaction time of the user and how quick they are. With slow speed I feel like I have to jack up the cpu pass rush for them to get sacks.

Yeah I've noticed the differences in our slider sets, but I think it's the theory which is most important because I believe maintaining that balance is very important. Without it, I feel like the players lose weight and I see wacky animations without much challenge. I'd be very interested and I might test this, and put user qb accuracy to 8 and cpu accuracy to 92 and see if the user is very inaccurate due to the balance system. On a lot of sets I feel like an 8 for user accuracy doesn't do much, I see hit my target most of the time.

Anyway, I'm glad someone else is thinking about this, hopefully through collaboration and input from some OSers we can develop this further. Also wouldn't hurt if EA told us how the system works lol because we have some great slider minds here at OS.
Old 09-15-2012, 08:27 PM   #20
Pro

OVR: 5

But you aren't keeping them on 100?
Old 09-15-2012, 08:52 PM   #21
Hall Of Fame

NoleFan's Arena

OVR: 22
Haven't posted but I'm still using my set that I posted above

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-15-2012, 09:36 PM   #22
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by willIam9387
I've been using normal, simulates the pace of the game well to me, but then again I might not have the reactions as you do lol. But I'd say with game speed, it's more based on the reaction time of the user and how quick they are. With slow speed I feel like I have to jack up the cpu pass rush for them to get sacks.

Yeah I've noticed the differences in our slider sets, but I think it's the theory which is most important because I believe maintaining that balance is very important. Without it, I feel like the players lose weight and I see wacky animations without much challenge. I'd be very interested and I might test this, and put user qb accuracy to 8 and cpu accuracy to 92 and see if the user is very inaccurate due to the balance system. On a lot of sets I feel like an 8 for user accuracy doesn't do much, I see hit my target most of the time.

Anyway, I'm glad someone else is thinking about this, hopefully through collaboration and input from some OSers we can develop this further. Also wouldn't hurt if EA told us how the system works lol because we have some great slider minds here at OS.
You brought up a great point, and one the reasons I have come to the balance idea. The QB accuracy slider, for example, doesn't really do a whole a lot on it's own as far as I can see.

If you think about QB accuracy, what is it really? Quick decision making by the QB and/or slow reaction by the defense. In general of course. But any half rate QB and WR can tear up a defense if the WR beats the defense. All the QB has to do is make the throw catchable. So even with QB accuracy on 0 the QB still throws a catchable ball and the WR will still catch it. I am speaking in terms of Madden 13, not real life.

That's why the QB accuracy and P D react time are linked. Same idea with WR catch/ Int. as well. Both players are going for a catch really. People have always wondered why so many Int's happen and most turn this setting way down, but they don't think to turn up WR catch and still have a problem with Int's. Both are the same setting except a catch on defense is an Int.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:32 PM   #23
Pro

OP,

You start by saying the same slider must stay 100 like wrcatch 35/65 but then u say it's two sliders like user tackle 30/ cpu break tackle 70

???????

Last edited by chilidogbeefcake; 09-15-2012 at 10:35 PM.
Old 09-15-2012, 10:47 PM   #24
Pro

Could've explained this so much simpler

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »