Home

Jay's Sliders - Final Release

This is a discussion on Jay's Sliders - Final Release within the Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 09-14-2004, 02:23 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Jay's Sliders - Final Release

Cool. I may just try the 15 min qtrs., and milk my play clock down. But, I guess, that's no diff. than 12 accelerated. I'll try both. Thank you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2004, 02:27 PM   #26
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aikman08
Cool. I may just try the 15 min qtrs., and milk my play clock down. But, I guess, that's no diff. than 12 accelerated. I'll try both. Thank you.
See, I like the 12 accelerated because you know that the play clock is going to tick to 20 no matter what you do, and still keep stats in line. Frees you up to watch any cut scenes you want, etc.
Old 09-14-2004, 02:56 PM   #27
Rookie

OVR: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayjackson
OK... now that I have a bit more time to elaborate.

I believe that I asked that people should critique the sliders after having played at least *2* games with them. Not one half.

Now, want to know why you have so many yards and they have none? Because you played *crap* defense obviously. All-Madden will exploit your weaknesses, apparently the computer figured out that you couldn't cover the pass. 156 yards for Pennington? He had right around that for the half yesterday, and it wasn't just because of a soft secondary. I might get beat for a bomb occasionally, but not 3 in one half.

So, if the computer runs 9 plays, and scores on 4, it would seem you would probably have the ball the majority of the first half. 18 carries for 173 yards is a bit high, but I also said to play more than 1 game to allow for breakout performances. THEY DO HAPPEN.

Christ, Curtis Martin ran for 193 yards yesterday. Multiple RB's went over 140. Is it high for a halftime total? Yes. I'll acknowledge that much. But 156 and 137 are NOT otherworldly stats. You'll remember that Garcia 2 years ago was a Pro-Bowler (rated 88 in the newest roster update too) and he's accurate as hell. Pennington only led the league in QB Rating the year before.

If the running game is too easy for you, either move the CPU Break Block up 1, or move the Run Blocking or RB Ability down. Blocking if the holes are just gigantic, or Ability if you're running people over or just crazily outjuking them.

I dunno what to tell ya - I've got like 2:44 left in the 3rd quarter in my game with Browns/Jets as a test for ya. It's 20-10, the Jets have scored once on a pick on me, and once on a fumbled punt near my 10 yard line that they scooped and scored. Martin has 14 carries for 85 yards, Garcia is 15-26 for 157 and a score, and Pennington has thrown for about 70 yards (it's snowing). They've been relying on Martin and he's been running well. As for my running game, Suggs has 22 carries for 70 yards.

Maybe you're just that much better, or maybe the CPU actually having to play football against me is keeping the stats where they should be.

Please play a couple more games though, if you still have problems - you can fix them. If nothing else you play football for a couple hours. If it works, you have countless hours of better fun because you are going to get good sliders.
Ok, now that you've "elaborated". I had already tested your sliders out for a first game. First play from scrimmage, 70 yard touchdown. What's funny is that I intentionally covered the deep man (doubled) and left the short man open and he still threw the deep ball. Sounds kinda odd that they have yet to develop a medium/intermediate passing game as opposed to chucking it deep every down. 4/7 for 156 is outlandish. I don't care how bad a defense is. No QB on earth would have 4 TD passes on 7 attempts with just 4 completions. Now, the fact that I have a total of 300+ yards of offense with one half remaining obviously means that the offensive sliders are too easy. The highest team in total yards was the Colts and they were around 450 (as were the Eagles). Now, I'm sitting with 300+ playing a basic game. The CPU has a catch up mentality. I was controlling the ball and everything. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I played "crap" defense. Considering that I'm a defensive coordinator and my real-life team has yet to be scored on through 5 games. I play situations and situations will always beat any scheme. I even sat in 4 deep zones to make the CPU throw short and the CPU made constant 60+ yard plays in the air. Granted the Browns secondary isn't that great, but when you sit in a deep umbrella, they have to come to you. It wasn't like Pennington was throwing it to them when they were open. Which says to me that something is wrong. And it isn't my D because How else do you stop the Deep Ball? He did have that many yards in the air but not on just 4 completions.

You talk about Curtis Martin. He had 29 carries to get that 196. I was sitting with that on 18 carries, between two backs. I split time and still had that. I'm pretty sure that he was the primary carrier in his game. For your info it was the holes that were huge. I follow my blockers and I don't rely on juking. I just play systematically.

As a test for me? The score is 20-10? Who are you? I probably am better than you at madden. I controlled the game that I was playing, just like you and the score at the half was combined 60 points. I typically give up only 80 yards rushing a game and about 220 passing/gm. And this is on default All-Madden. Now look at your stats. First off it's snowing, mine was perfect weather. Garcia has as many yards as I did at the half playing a ball-controlled game. I ran less as a TEAM in the half than you have in your whole game and you have 3 times less rushing yards. Martin had only one decent run (like I said he ran through my SS for a td, but other than that he was Bettis w/o the scores 5 carries 1 yard). I beat the CPU in every facet of the game and I should've easily had a shutout. In fact in my game there were 3 scores in a 45 second span. Each covering 60+ yards. They scored, I scored, they scored. Shootout football is not for me. I play the same way every game and this was just too outta wack.

Also, read between the lines. You just mentioned in your critique of your game that you've ran at least almost 50 plays and mentioned that Martin had 14 carries. Right? So how many attempts does Pennington have. It couldn't possibly be that much considering that you're about to easily throw for over 40 attempts (because you're behind). I was ahead with the same amount of plays. The CPU was literally getting destroyed. I'm sure that if you look at your T.O.P. it's outta whack. Also the fact I had no TOs and you had 2 will make your stats look skewed.

I'll play again, but I already know that the CPU is just gonna chuck it up. I had played an equivalent of one game (two halves) and that was the situation that played out each time. I'll even post the stats of my game with the NFL Avgs of last season. The Avgs shouldn't be that much different.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:06 PM   #28
Rookie

I'm not saying that these are crap. I'm just simply stating that in order for things to happen, something must happen elsewhere. He had 7 attempts for 156. That's 22+ yards a pass (but he only completed 4 - which is now 44 yards/comp.) That's unrealistic. No matter how you put it. Off game or not. I played the same D I play all the time and I've never seen something this crazy ever, even on All-Madden. I'm not knocking your sliders, but I moved the ball to easily, I had a completion percentage of 72. The running sliders need to be changed on Human Skill, that's the only thing that I really noticed. I understand that you get bad games every once in a while. But being torched for 600 yards and a million points isn't realistic. I had ever NFL Avg beat in the first half of my game. I didn't care that Pennington was 4-7 for 156, it was the fact that every time I did something right, the CPU would negate that, by scoring and keeping the game close. Don't think I was coming off harsh, I was just wondering what made you think these were "realistic".
Old 09-14-2004, 03:06 PM   #29
Franchise Streamer

Millennium's Arena

OVR: 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gr8ONe
Ok, now that you've "elaborated". I had already tested your sliders out for a first game. First play from scrimmage, 70 yard touchdown. What's funny is that I intentionally covered the deep man (doubled) and left the short man open and he still threw the deep ball. Sounds kinda odd that they have yet to develop a medium/intermediate passing game as opposed to chucking it deep every down. 4/7 for 156 is outlandish. I don't care how bad a defense is. No QB on earth would have 4 TD passes on 7 attempts with just 4 completions. Now, the fact that I have a total of 300+ yards of offense with one half remaining obviously means that the offensive sliders are too easy. The highest team in total yards was the Colts and they were around 450 (as were the Eagles). Now, I'm sitting with 300+ playing a basic game. The CPU has a catch up mentality. I was controlling the ball and everything. I wouldn't go as far as to say that I played "crap" defense. Considering that I'm a defensive coordinator and my real-life team has yet to be scored on through 5 games. I play situations and situations will always beat any scheme. I even sat in 4 deep zones to make the CPU throw short and the CPU made constant 60+ yard plays in the air. Granted the Browns secondary isn't that great, but when you sit in a deep umbrella, they have to come to you. It wasn't like Pennington was throwing it to them when they were open. Which says to me that something is wrong. And it isn't my D because How else do you stop the Deep Ball? He did have that many yards in the air but not on just 4 completions.

You talk about Curtis Martin. He had 29 carries to get that 196. I was sitting with that on 18 carries, between two backs. I split time and still had that. I'm pretty sure that he was the primary carrier in his game. For your info it was the holes that were huge. I follow my blockers and I don't rely on juking. I just play systematically.

As a test for me? The score is 20-10? Who are you? I probably am better than you at madden. I controlled the game that I was playing, just like you and the score at the half was combined 60 points. I typically give up only 80 yards rushing a game and about 220 passing/gm. And this is on default All-Madden. Now look at your stats. First off it's snowing, mine was perfect weather. Garcia has as many yards as I did at the half playing a ball-controlled game. I ran less as a TEAM in the half than you have in your whole game and you have 3 times less rushing yards. Martin had only one decent run (like I said he ran through my SS for a td, but other than that he was Bettis w/o the scores 5 carries 1 yard). I beat the CPU in every facet of the game and I should've easily had a shutout. In fact in my game there were 3 scores in a 45 second span. Each covering 60+ yards. They scored, I scored, they scored. Shootout football is not for me. I play the same way every game and this was just too outta wack.

Also, read between the lines. You just mentioned in your critique of your game that you've ran at least almost 50 plays and mentioned that Martin had 14 carries. Right? So how many attempts does Pennington have. It couldn't possibly be that much considering that you're about to easily throw for over 40 attempts (because you're behind). I was ahead with the same amount of plays. The CPU was literally getting destroyed. I'm sure that if you look at your T.O.P. it's outta whack. Also the fact I had no TOs and you had 2 will make your stats look skewed.

I'll play again, but I already know that the CPU is just gonna chuck it up. I had played an equivalent of one game (two halves) and that was the situation that played out each time. I'll even post the stats of my game with the NFL Avgs of last season. The Avgs shouldn't be that much different.

You do understand that every game isn't scripted, right? Play FULL GAMES. Teams have a tendency to make halftime adjustments in Madden. So, being an avid slider tester myself, here is your homework assignment (If you truly want to test sliders):

- Play 5 FULL games of Madden (either play them all in Exhibition or all in Franchise, do not flip flop)

- Record yours and the CPU's stats after every game

- Report back here the total stats or the averages.

That is how you test sliders. I have had slider sets for plenty of games that I hated at first, and then, as I played them more, I saw exactly what was going on.

You may also be a more advanced player then Jay. In that case, use these as a basis, then tweak yourself. But bashing slider sets that OTHER PEOPLE TOOK TIME TO CREATE is insane. If that is the case, why don't you post your slider set that you took the time to create?

My Twitter
My Twitch Channel!
Old 09-14-2004, 03:11 PM   #30
Banned

Quote:

For one, we've determined that it may be a difference in the rosters. Are you using the Sept. 10th update? You're talking your playing ball-control?? Of course you are, because they score everytime they touch it. I wish you'd have known the total amount of plays you'd ran from scrimmage, and the amount they had. In one half of football, they have 12 plays from scrimmage, and you DON'T think you should have more than an average amount of yards?

The weather has never made that large of a difference in any Madden game. I test in random weather especially for this purpose.

And you've "tested my sliders for a first game". ONE GAME. When the sliders say EXPLICITLY UNDERNEATH THEM NOT TO COME BACK WITH ADJUSTMENTS FOR AT LEAST 3. You got blown up on defense and couldn't stop the pass, but it's gotta be the sliders fault right?

How many passes did McNabb throw the other day before he got his second TD with TO? Not very many. Anyways like I said, the exceptional game IS OUT THERE. Try another game, and if you're that damned good then maybe this just isn't the game for a "defensive coordinator".

BTW - on your "insane" amount of rushing yards that you're talking about - what are the long runs? You've probably had at least one run over 50 I'd bet, but I guess that would mean the sliders are shot because you can get a 50 yard run with them.

I mean come off it man, with your "I'm a defensive coordinator" talk. Who cares? What do you coach? High school? Ever seen a kid get beat deep in high school?

I dunno, you give up 3 or 4 long bombs for TDs yet you "beat the CPU in every facet of the game". Right. Shore up your pass coverage, see if the time of possession doesn't go up for the CPU... then watch the stats even out. I'm willing to bet with them running 7 passes and 5 runs, that you had nearly 45 plays in the first half. If 120 is supposed to be the average amount of plays run, you're 15 short of half of that. Trying to tell me that 8 yards a play is an "impossible statistic" is a little ridiculous.

Edit: Another thing, how are you going to post the NFL Averages for an entire season and expect them to balance out for ONE GAME. It's football, it's not the law of averages. Your corner gets beat, you give up more yards. Stuff happens in football games. Vinny Testaverde threw for over 200 yards in one half of football on Sunday, but that stuff NEVER happens, right? I'd be willing to bet that over a several game span, you'd get realistic
stats. If not, adjust what's bothering you - it's not that hard. If you're that good, you'd already have your own sliders because apparently you know what makes everything in this game tick.

Last edited by jayjackson; 09-14-2004 at 03:14 PM.
Old 09-14-2004, 03:18 PM   #31
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Millennium
You do understand that every game isn't scripted, right? Play FULL GAMES. Teams have a tendency to make halftime adjustments in Madden. So, being an avid slider tester myself, here is your homework assignment (If you truly want to test sliders):

- Play 5 FULL games of Madden (either play them all in Exhibition or all in Franchise, do not flip flop)

- Record yours and the CPU's stats after every game

- Report back here the total stats or the averages.

That is how you test sliders. I have had slider sets for plenty of games that I hated at first, and then, as I played them more, I saw exactly what was going on.

You may also be a more advanced player then Jay. In that case, use these as a basis, then tweak yourself. But bashing slider sets that OTHER PEOPLE TOOK TIME TO CREATE is insane. If that is the case, why don't you post your slider set that you took the time to create?
I typically never really use sliders. I test them and give feedback. I have no qualms about any of it. I wasn't bashing his sliders. I don't like every game that I play to finish up 40-38. That isn't great football. That's no defense. Having 2 200 yard rushers in the same game is rare. Let alone 2 120+ yard rushers (on the same team). In all the games that went down on Sunday. Each of those games had one team totally dominant. Correct? Except the Chiefs and Broncos who just had above average backs. I just saw all those points and knew that something was wrong. I was just stating that something was wrong. Suggs is just a average back at best and he literally had 10 yards a carry. Green is a better back than Suggs and he also had about 8 yards/carry.

I do know every game isn't scripted. But in 50 or so Madden games I have only given up 80 yards rushing/gm and 220 yards passing/gm. Pennington would've easily thrown for over 500 yards in this game. What adjustments could the Jets have possibly made? I mixed up my play calling and everyone was getting the ball. If anything they would sit in more man-man, which would've checked my running game, but then Garica would've went crazy. I would've thrown in a running situation and the exact opposite to keep them off-guard.

I've used your sliders in games before as well Mill and they weren't realistic to me, but saying that your sliders are realistic isn't a great way to go about things if you can't take constructive criticism.

About Vinny. He should've thrown for 200 yards in the first half. They couldn't run the ball. Not being able to run will do that for you.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 09-14-2004, 03:19 PM   #32
Banned

Quote:
I'm not saying that these are crap. I'm just simply stating that in order for things to happen, something must happen elsewhere. He had 7 attempts for 156. That's 22+ yards a pass (but he only completed 4 - which is now 44 yards/comp.) That's unrealistic. No matter how you put it. Off game or not. I played the same D I play all the time and I've never seen something this crazy ever, even on All-Madden. I'm not knocking your sliders, but I moved the ball to easily, I had a completion percentage of 72. The running sliders need to be changed on Human Skill, that's the only thing that I really noticed. I understand that you get bad games every once in a while. But being torched for 600 yards and a million points isn't realistic. I had ever NFL Avg beat in the first half of my game. I didn't care that Pennington was 4-7 for 156, it was the fact that every time I did something right, the CPU would negate that, by scoring and keeping the game close. Don't think I was coming off harsh, I was just wondering what made you think these were "realistic".
Alright well if you're not trying to bash me - then it's simple.

I played more than one game, and the stats average out. Yes I've had games where I've been torched for 440 yards (Bulger), and ran over for nearly 200 (Portis)... but the normal game is very close to realistic.

It just goes down to again - stuff happens. If you want to attack the sliders anymore, do it after you've played 3 games with them, and come back with stats to back up your claims, and for more than one half of football.

I've seen Manning in real life throw two passes for 80+ yards in the same quarter, is this unrealistic? No, sometimes people just get burnt.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen > Madden NFL Old Gen Sliders »