Home

Madden NFL 10 Blog: Player Momentum

This is a discussion on Madden NFL 10 Blog: Player Momentum within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 03-16-2009, 06:00 PM   #41
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40
Re: Latest Madden NFL 10 blog: Player Momentum

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian_Cummings_EA
Ouch man, that hurts. I'm loaded with work, I still put this together and you got no love for me!
Hey man, much thanks for showing how it will impact defense!!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2009, 06:01 PM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guillotine 1
Well, thats just the point. I get it, I see the lean the runner has, I see the forward momentum carry the runner a bit, I see the decrease in speed on change of directions...I get it.

What I did not see is what bothers me more. The runner hits his top speed, and he looks like he's still running to gain speed. He never actually opens up his stride and coasts at his top speed.

The runner still seemed to change directions without...oh man..forget it...
Now that I've read this I better watch it first before commenting. My first reply to your post was me being under the impression you preferred turning on a dime, i.e. total player control.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #43
MVP

OVR: 26

Pretty much turned running in circles into running in octagons?
Old 03-16-2009, 06:07 PM   #44
Rookie

ghostlight85's Arena

OVR: 10

I watched the videos a few more times and I still am happy about the overall impact I think it will have on the game, but I also want to float an idea.

Top runners like LT and in the past guys like Barry Sanders don't run like that. They would if they were making turns to stay at top speed, but there should be some system where I can control them like the run in real life. They need to make sharp, change of direction cuts and this should be built into the foot plant thing. They do need to slow down to do this, and explode out of it. The problem is how to trigger the animation from a user end without just pressing a button. Juke moves are there, but I'm talking about just agility based cutting and acceleration based explosion out of the cut. This is where most runners pick up yards, not from a juke or a truck. I don't think with the current controls it is possible to effectively run like Barry Sanders, even when using a player with a comparable rating set to what he would have had.

The only thing I can think is to add some sort of trigger modifier to enable the foot planting to be more dominant in the running style. So with no trigger the player would run much like what you showed in the video. But with the trigger on, a cut would result in a foot plant and then release the trigger and run/sprint to explode out of it. Pressing the button shouldn't make an animation of a cut happen, just enable foot planting so that a sharper cut will be the result when i change directions with the left stick, rather than one of the rounded turns as in the video.

Just an idea.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #45
Banned

OVR: 35

I'm on the fence, some turns looked real similar to Madden 09, ill have to see gameplay to really have an opinion.

And, Ian, there'd be less questions if you'd put a Vid with a corner jumping and swatting.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 03-16-2009, 06:15 PM   #46
Banned

Jon22's Arena

OVR: 20

After I thought about it again, this is all wrong. It is acceleration that needs to be implemented and this weird circle running needs to be taking out.

Just like my last post, You decelerate than make your cut, you are rounding off the cut!!!!!!!!! Routes like that would get you benched in Highschool Football.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #47
Banned

OVR: 25

Please, guys listen...

This is not swipe at Ian, or any of you guys. I love the news contained in this blog. I understnad these guys are working very hard right now, and I respect the job by Ian to get a blog done for fans of the series.

However, I was underwhelmed by this blog. I did not see a full-on open-strided top speed running animation. After the more pronounced initial movement by the runner...his stride stays the same for the rest of the duration until he slows down.

Are all of the players going to run the same? Are there only going to be two or three different types of run animations? Will the runners run with a top speed full strided animation as well.

I don't mean to be ungrateful, and I certainly don't mean to inject a sour tone to the boards...I was just expeting more...and I came away from this particular blog...underwhelmed....

Again, no disrespect to Ian...all of the other blogs were grandslams.
Old 03-16-2009, 06:17 PM   #48
MVP

wordtobigbird's Arena

OVR: 7

hes not running routes. hes running full speed and making soft turns.

you can see when he actually does make a cut.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »