Home

Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns

This is a discussion on Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-08-2009, 10:19 PM   #1
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51
Lightbulb Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns

One of the things that really lured me to APF2K8 was the passing game. The game has an actual pocket, that you can sit in and maneuver in, and real QB foot work coupled with multiple styles of passing (normal pass, side armed and so forth). What really made the game feel unique though is the ability to throw timed passing patterns. If you time a route properly, you can throw the ball before a player makes their cut or their slant and they will still be able to catch the ball. This comes into play in a couple of scenarios.

Scenario 1
The WR is running a mid-post pattern. You read man coverage, and as the play progresses, you see the CB has outside coverage on the WR, barring any possible help from the safety, you can read this read will allow you to throw the ball before the WR ever makes his move / slant towards the post. This effectively allows you to hit in holes that you otherwise could not.

Scenario 2
The WR is running a mid-post pattern from the left side of the field. You read Cover 3 based on a strong safety pulling from the right, and the LBs staying home. If the LB doesn't pick you pu in their zone and match your speed, then you know you have the hole over the middle of the field open, and can throw before your WR makes the cut.

In Madden, route passing does not appear to work (at least not the way I can get it to work in APF2K8). In order for the receiver to make the catch, you typically have to wait until after they have made their cut/slant. This basically takes away a lot of the field and makes the passing much more difficult than necessary.

It would be a great addition if Madden 10 supported Timed Passing patterns. It would really open up the passing game, add to the authenticity, and quite honestly make it a heck of a lot more fun.

EDIT 04/22/2010: Adding Route Based Passing Examples

Last edited by Valdarez; 04-22-2010 at 11:59 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 10:24 PM   #2
Banned

OVR: 35
Re: Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns

Hopefully, the passing in madden is terrible.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:28 PM   #3
#faceuary2014

ScoobySnax's Arena

OVR: 30

Good post!
Old 04-08-2009, 11:10 PM   #4
Rookie

thecougarbear's Arena

OVR: 6

great question. from what i understand about nfl quarterbacking (which is not a whole lot), qbs rarely throw to a man. they almost always are throwing to a spot.

i've heard interviews with guys like favre, young, and aikman talking about some of their bigger plays, and how they didn't see the receiver, they just knew where his spot should have been.

adding the ability to throw to spots before breaks are made would add a huge level of realism to the game.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:12 PM   #5
Rookie

OVR: 6

Good question, it would be nice to get an answer from Ian. I just got APF for $5.50, and the passing is especially great.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-08-2009, 11:47 PM   #6
Banned

IndyColts2's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Derrville
Hopefully, the passing in madden is terrible.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:50 PM   #7
Banned

IndyColts2's Arena

OVR: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
One of the things that really lured me to APF2K8 was the passing game. The game has an actual pocket, that you can sit in and maneuver in, and real QB foot work coupled with multiple styles of passing (normal pass, side armed and so forth). What really made the game feel unique though is the ability to throw timed passing patterns. If you time a route properly, you can throw the ball before a player makes their cut or their slant and they will still be able to catch the ball. This comes into play in a couple of scenarios.

Scenario 1
The WR is running a mid-post pattern. You read man coverage, and as the play progresses, you see the CB has outside coverage on the WR, barring any possible help from the safety, you can read this read will allow you to throw the ball before the WR ever makes his move / slant towards the post. This effectively allows you to hit in holes that you otherwise could not.

Scenario 2
The WR is running a mid-post pattern from the left side of the field. You read Cover 3 based on a strong safety pulling from the right, and the LBs staying home. If the LB doesn't pick you pu in their zone and match your speed, then you know you have the hole over the middle of the field open, and can throw before your WR makes the cut.

In Madden, route passing does not appear to work (at least not the way I can get it to work in APF2K8). In order for the receiver to make the catch, you typically have to wait until after they have made their cut/slant. This basically takes away a lot of the field and makes the passing much more difficult than necessary.

It would be a great addition if Madden 10 supported Timed Passing patterns. It would really open up the passing game, add to the authenticity, and quite honestly make it a heck of a lot more fun.
They definitely need to add in timing routes. It feels so good to know that you made the perfect pass at the perfect time for a touchdown on a game winning drive. You can't do that in Madden, you have to wait for receivers to break out of their routes before you can throw to them. Otherwise, you throw to where they are at that time and it turns out being horrible. Timing routes need to be implemented.
Old 04-08-2009, 11:59 PM   #8
Rookie

OVR: 7

I would also like to see some back shoulder routes, and normal fade routes in every playbook and multiple formations. Double moves need to actually have an effect on the defender as well. (assuming they actually bite).

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »