Home

Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns

This is a discussion on Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-10-2009, 12:11 PM   #25
Rookie

OVR: 2
Re: Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns

I'm sure it must be difficult to implement any one thing because it'll completely collapse another area of the game.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2009, 03:01 PM   #26
Rookie

OVR: 11

In earlier Madden games (i.e. 2000, 2001 for N64) there was the option to throw passes using route passing. It worked pretty well, and helped to 'open up' the passing game.

The problem with the current passing game is that, once the receiver breaks, you then still have to lead the receiver and this can cause inaccurate, sometimes out of bounds, passes. Take a deep out route for example. The receiver breaks and then you throw, leading the WR towards the sideline. The problem is that their direction is already towards the sideline and your throw can sail out of bounds.

If you could throw a route-based pass as with earlier Madden versions, you could throw right before the WR breaks, and this would allow an accurate throw away from the defender, while keeping the throw in bounds! Sounds useful, right?!..Hopefully this can be implemented.
Old 04-10-2009, 03:48 PM   #27
MVP

OVR: 21

The problem with Maddens passing is directly connected to why the defense AI has to cheat to make plays.

The routes the WR's run are not tied in with the QB drop AND you can throw the ball to a WR at any point in the route. (which breaks the defense) The defense then has to be cheated up to make up for this and its why you see super leaps/physics defying speed bursts by the defense to hide this bad setup.

This inturn makes all the teams seem like they play the same because once you have to cheat up the AI just to play consistent D the player ratings mean little to nothing. Thus the game turns into who can find the best exploits and master them so they can go win 110K at a Madden tourney.

You cannot make throws before a WR makes his cut in AP2K8(you can but it wont be positive). Flys are the only route you can throw at any time. This is what makes AP2K8 stand out.

A good pass is predicated on these things happening.

1. You have time to make the pass.(Time for WR to run his route and make his initial cut)

2. Your QBs feet are set when he makes the throw.

3. Your QB's ratings are such that he can make that throw(In 2k8 if a Wr is ran past the QB's arm strength chances are the ball is gonna be severely under thrown)

4. The Wr has made his cut and is looking for the ball.

5. The Defense has to be in the wrong coverage to defend the route. So playcalling is important on both sides of the ball.

In Madden you can chuck it pretty much whenever you want and the WR will come to the ball, even though his route is suppose to go somewhere else. How can you properly write Defensive AI to defend psychic behavior without cheating ? It degrades the whole game and point of calling plays.

I can call the right defense but because the route can be so affected by how the ball is thrown and "user catch" its all negated.
Old 04-10-2009, 04:01 PM   #28
MVP

OVR: 55

RE: Tombsong

It sucks, once you figure this out it just absolutely ruins Madden . You really articulated the difference very clearly... nice work. You basically put into words what I think every time I say "same players different jersey colors".
Old 04-10-2009, 04:13 PM   #29
MVP

OVR: 15

I wish Ian would chime in on this, this is a good topic to discuss.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:25 PM   #30
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by TombSong
You cannot make throws before a WR makes his cut in AP2K8(you can but it wont be positive). Flys are the only route you can throw at any time. This is what makes AP2K8 stand out.
I think you meant 'can' make throws, instead of cannot. That's one of the key features of the APF2K8 passing game that separates it from Madden's. I have over a 1000 games of APF played, so I can gaurantee you it can be done, and it's awesome for throwing into holes in zone coverage.

If you need proof, take a look at this video (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/220297.html). At the 3:30 mark, I throw a deep pass to TO. I have started pressing the button well before he makes the slant on his route.
Old 04-10-2009, 05:39 PM   #31
Banned

OVR: 19

This is how MOST double moves should look. Within the first minute of the video, you'll see quite a few. And this is one of the best route-running WR's ever. Unfortunately, I'm not sure why the person who made the video chose the song he did...

Ian, take a look.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-10-2009, 09:15 PM   #32
MVP

OVR: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I think you meant 'can' make throws, instead of cannot. That's one of the key features of the APF2K8 passing game that separates it from Madden's. I have over a 1000 games of APF played, so I can gaurantee you it can be done, and it's awesome for throwing into holes in zone coverage.

If you need proof, take a look at this video (http://www.gametrailers.com/player/u...es/220297.html). At the 3:30 mark, I throw a deep pass to TO. I have started pressing the button well before he makes the slant on his route.
No, you cannot make a completed pass before the WR makes his cut. You are throwing the ball to owens at the 3:30 mark "as" he makes his cut. That you can do, Go to practice mode and run that post route and throw it before he does that cut animation and watch what happens.

There is a thread in this forum somewhere with vids demonstrating this, Ill try to find it.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »