Home

Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns

This is a discussion on Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 04-11-2009, 10:21 AM   #41
MVP

OVR: 55
Re: Will Madden 10 Support Route Based Passing / Timed Passing Patterns

There are option routes in APF 2k8. They aren't labeled as so, but WR's will adjust to the coverage. For example if a WR is open on a corner route they will throttle down and sit in the opening.

The biggest example are dig routes, particularly by the TE. On plays like "TE ZONE IN" the TE will read the LB's and either run across the face of them, or if they are sitting up tight your TE will find the hole up the seam and look for the ball.

It's pretty cool!
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2009, 10:32 AM   #42
Rookie

OVR: 4

i think that is why they are bringing back the cone because with the cone on xbox/playstation you could move it and throw to spots not at the receiver
Old 04-11-2009, 08:22 PM   #43
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

OVR: 51

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
There are option routes in APF 2k8. They aren't labeled as so, but WR's will adjust to the coverage. For example if a WR is open on a corner route they will throttle down and sit in the opening.

The biggest example are dig routes, particularly by the TE. On plays like "TE ZONE IN" the TE will read the LB's and either run across the face of them, or if they are sitting up tight your TE will find the hole up the seam and look for the ball.

It's pretty cool!
There is Maximum Passing as well, which basically allows a QB to reroute a receiver as well. It's not an option route, but it allows you to try to hit to the inside, outside, or short / long on a route a receiver is running.

Pulled out Madden '08 today and played it. Madden definitely is different, far different. You can throw at any time and the receivers just stop and make the catch as if that were the route they were running (what I believe TombSong was trying to point out in his other thread). IMHO this is the primary reason Madden's defense has to play unrealistically at times. To make up for this 'feature'.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:25 PM   #44
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
Alright, here's the video. Took longer than I thought it would. First video I've done on the new Mac. There are several examples of passing before the receiver has made their cut. Keep in mind that you are actually pressing the button before you see movement by the QB as well, so it's probably even just a little bit earlier than it appears with regards to the users action.

As you can see from the video, APF2K8 clearly supports route based passing. This is what I'm hoping they can add to Madden 10.

Valdarez that is not the same thing. When you threw the ball it ended up there after there cut not before. I know what there talking about because when I go in to practice mode and try and hit a WR that is running a deep post early the WR ignores the ball and the pass is well behind the WR. This is when I am trying to zip it in there in between players in zone defense.

Remake your video of you passing the ball before the WR not only makes his cut but that the ball gets there before he makes his cut.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!
Old 04-11-2009, 09:38 PM   #45
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFLHITMAN
Valdarez that is not the same thing. When you threw the ball it ended up there after there cut not before.
Exactly. That's pretty much the whole purpose of the thread.

Quote:
I know what there talking about because when I go in to practice mode and try and hit a WR that is running a deep post early the WR ignores the ball and the pass is well behind the WR. This is when I am trying to zip it in there in between players in zone defense.
This is getting off topic, but IMHO that's just bad passing (though I do understand the mechanics in play there). If you simply FIRE away, why would the receiver react, especially if it's not their normal route? Now, if you run a deep slant, and throw early (but don't rocket it in there), then your receiver will react, though it's not going to be a pretty turn and catch like you'd get in Madden. The receiver's going to be more like 'what they heck are you doing throwing to me now' and try to make a play on the ball.

Quote:
Remake your video of you passing the ball before the WR not only makes his cut but that the ball gets there before he makes his cut.
Why? The purpose of the video is to show how you can throw the ball before the receiver makes the cut / slant and still catch the ball (this is the purpose of this thread, please don't lose sight of it), which cannot be done in Madden to date. The video achieves it's intended purpose. LBRulez has already posted a video showing what you suggested, I suggest checking out the thread/link Tombsong posted earlier if you want to discuss the WR / QB reaction aspect as that thread goes into more detail regarding that topic.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 04-11-2009, 09:43 PM   #46
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valdarez
I'm sorry, but you can. LBZrules examples are bad. He's throwing the ball early, but he's 'firing' it in there, so of course it's going to be thrown incorrectly. It wasn't 'timed' properly. If he wanted to hit the player in the route, then he need to throw it softer. And I'm telling you I started the passing motion (holding the button) well before TO made his cut. What LBZRules is showing is just bad passing.

I just recorded some examples. Give me about another 30 minutes and I'll post them. Can someone PM me or post how I embed the videos in the posts? Thanks!
Actually the examples are not bad. That was the point of the video to show that the passing game is based on timing. That video was a demonstration for the Madden guys who were playing Madden 08 and 09 who did not have that type of option on those types of routes. Secondly, it was to show that I cannot take the WR, turn back around against his momentum and warp back inside to catch the football. Even in your examples, you anticipate the cut. In my examples I was not trying to anticipate cuts because the guys who play Madden do not. So you are right in this sense, it is bad passing, but it was done purposely to show that Madden needs to change its passing game. Basically what I was showing in that video was what you cannot get away with in All Pro football but what you could get away with in Madden 01-09.
Old 04-11-2009, 09:59 PM   #47
All Star

Valdarez's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Actually the examples are not bad. That was the point of the video to show that the passing game is based on timing. That video was a demonstration for the Madden guys who were playing Madden 08 and 09 who did not have that type of option on those types of routes. Secondly, it was to show that I cannot take the WR, turn back around against his momentum and warp back inside to catch the football. Even in your examples, you anticipate the cut. In my examples I was not trying to anticipate cuts because the guys who play Madden do not. So you are right in this sense, it is bad passing, but it was done purposely to show that Madden needs to change its passing game. Basically what I was showing in that video was what you cannot get away with in All Pro football but what you could get away with in Madden 01-09.
Context is everything. Tombsong pointed to your videos as an example that Route Based passing does not work in APF2K8. To prove that point, those videos are bad (and I'm sure you will agree). So, for clarification, they are only bad for showing that Route Based Passing does not work in APF2K8. That's the reason I made the follow up video, to show that it does work.

For showing the receivers do not respond, they are just a little misleading. If you had not fired the ball in there, and thrown a normal pass, then your receiver would have responded, though not by turning around and making a normal catch, like you see in Madden. It would have been a more, what the heck are you doing QB response by the receiver as they frantically try to make a play on the ball.

Last edited by Valdarez; 04-11-2009 at 10:01 PM.
Old 04-11-2009, 10:12 PM   #48
MVP

OVR: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
Well I hope your trip to Madden 10 had APF type of passing. I will only be looking at what you post about Madden 10 since you played APF for a while.

Season 1 CHAMPION!!!

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »