Home

3-4 Personnel Importantance

This is a discussion on 3-4 Personnel Importantance within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-13-2010, 08:23 PM   #49
Banned

OVR: 14
Re: 3-4 Personnel Importantance

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Thanks,
You'll notice the guys that are over 310 lbs(just an estimation on weight) are stronger, and the guys that are stronger(on defense), usually have the higher block shedding ratings.

So if I draft a DT thats 330lbs, he should automatically be higher in strength and block shedding. Now his block shedding made need to improve some, thats were the potential comes in though.
They also account for height, usually the taller they are, the less agile they are, and if they are both tall and heavy, then don't expect them to be able to move around very well.
I love how the 3-4 works w/ the sliders I'm using.
I agree with both of your statements. I drafted a huge DT in the middle rounds and he was a beast as a 3-4 nose-guard. He's something like 6'4 345 lbs, and his strength was around 94. He actually moved fairly well and got a decent amount of sacks too. I realize NT's don't get many sacks in reality, but my point is to agree that bigger DT's do typically have the necessary ratings to play as a 3-4 NT in M10.

I also agree that the 3-4 can be a very effective defense in M10. In my first complete season playing with KC I was a top 3 defense against the run, and somewhere in the middle against the pass. Keep in mind that was during one of my "rebuilding" years. Can the 3-4 improve in Madden ... absolutely! But it's definitely better this year than in the past.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:24 PM   #50
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
I agree about the "free" defenses on 3rd down. Note the "psycho" D package for GB.

Do you guys have any tips in using the 3-3-5 for pass defense purposes? I've strayed from it but I see the potential. If you are a 3-4 team (Pittsburgh) do you sub your pass rusher OLB's into DE in a 3-3-5? Do you blitz much or is it a situation where you like to play real soft?

I looked through a real life 3-3-5 playbook and the formation looks really adept at overload blitzes in particular.
I usually like to bring overloads and I even bring them in the box to show blitz, that seems to get someone free for me more often.
Its something that works well in a 2min drill, when you can have your best 3 linebackers and still have 5 guys playing in the secondary.
I don't usually sub pkg my OLB to DE, unless its in the dime, when I know I gotta get a good pass rush going, and they are looking to go deep.
Think of the 335 as a 3-4, except your taking a linebacker out and replacing him w/ a nickel back. So you could have a better match up on the Slot WR.
Old 01-13-2010, 09:06 PM   #51
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by CreatineKasey
Do you guys have any tips in using the 3-3-5 for pass defense purposes? I've strayed from it but I see the potential. If you are a 3-4 team (Pittsburgh) do you sub your pass rusher OLB's into DE in a 3-3-5? Do you blitz much or is it a situation where you like to play real soft?

I looked through a real life 3-3-5 playbook and the formation looks really adept at overload blitzes in particular.
I'll call the 3-3-5 if I want to change the look (i.e. say 1st and 10 - but instead of going 3-4 Predator or Solid and blitzing from that, I might go 3-3-5 and and bring the overload, or use the Cover 1 (man CBs and FS, SS deep zone, OLBs Mid zone, MLB basically does whatever - usually man the HB), or bring a "Fox" blitz.

I'll also use it if they are getting me on the sidelines. The CBs take flat - the OLBs Buzz and the S's are over the top. Hard to get anything down the sidelines. If you have a mobile MLB - you're decently covered in the middle, but you need pass rush or a high AWR MLB.

I like using the LB Fire play (all 3 LBs come on pressure). This can create some run blitz pressure, especially if you pinch the DL to clog the middle and try to get the HB to bounce outside where your OLB and CBs/S can close on him or string out the play. You can move the LBs pre snap to create an overload situation as well (shift DL rush and LBs in the same direction), or be more deceptive (Shifting my line and rushing one way, then shifting my LBs in the opposite direction - seems to get pressure on the whole front, creating a bunch of 1-on-1 situations).

Last edited by KBLover; 01-13-2010 at 09:08 PM.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-13-2010, 09:29 PM   #52
MVP

OVR: 55

Good stuff. I like that perspective of adding the 5th DB to a 3-4. I may have to do this on first down against pass happy teams. I run a ton of 4-2-5 right now and would like another outlet for blitzes. There's a couple of great A-gap blitzes from the pittsburgh 2-4-5 where both DT's, MLB's go through the A gap and the OLB's drop to hooks. It's very powerful. There's also some great cover 3 variants in tehre.

I always struggled to envision getting pressure out of the 3-3-5 because of the LB's off the line, but I think there's a place for it... especially for the people throwing constantly outside. I'm good at taking the middle away manually, so I will have to try this out. I'd imagine the 3-3-5 is good for stopping screens.

That fire zone blitz in the 3-3-5 book is actually a really common real-life blitz. That's cool to see.

Thanks for the advice guys. I'm checking this out right now.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Old 01-13-2010, 09:47 PM   #53
MVP

OVR: 34

honestly, just get a bunch of fast LBs and some cover people and be done with it
Old 01-13-2010, 10:13 PM   #54

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Brasi
Did you trade Franklin? I love him as a 3-4 NT on this game and IRL for that matter...

In my Steelers franchise after 6 games i have the following in sacks:

Harrison 7

Woodley 6

Timmons 4

A. Smith 3

Hampton 3

You just have to play around with sliders and mix up coverages. Also you can package players around...switching mlb's and olb's in certain sets.

I'll have to check out the 49ers defensive playbook but i know ive found a couple plays in the Steelers that are deadly. Also, the 2-4-5 and 1-5-5 D's cause havok
I didnt trade him away, hes either buried on the depth chart or I released him after the first season but I cant remember off the top of my head. I did give him some burn in my first season and he just got tossed around like a rag doll so I quickly took him out.

The Niners dont have the 1-5-5 in their aresenal, although they do have the 2-4-5 which I use here and there. As far as nickel goes they have the 2-4-5, 3-3-5 and Strong and thats it. Do the Steelers have the 46 as well? Ive wanted to try that defense from time to time but didnt want to go with a balanced playbook for fear I will lose some options in the 304 itself.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:46 PM   #55
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
I didnt trade him away, hes either buried on the depth chart or I released him after the first season but I cant remember off the top of my head. I did give him some burn in my first season and he just got tossed around like a rag doll so I quickly took him out.

The Niners dont have the 1-5-5 in their aresenal, although they do have the 2-4-5 which I use here and there. As far as nickel goes they have the 2-4-5, 3-3-5 and Strong and thats it. Do the Steelers have the 46 as well? Ive wanted to try that defense from time to time but didnt want to go with a balanced playbook for fear I will lose some options in the 304 itself.

Franklin wasn't any good for you? Wow im actually suprised to hear that. I wonder why? No, the Steelers dont run the 46. Just straight up 3-4 with various sets, nickel they have the 3-3-5, 2-4-5 and 1-5-5.

I'm not dissing the Niners D because god knows the Steelers D had issues IRL lol, but the more that im reading these various topics, maybe players weight and ratings truly make a difference in this game because truthfully ive primarily only used the Steelers. You have to figure the Steelers DL has two guys in the low 90's and their LB's have 2 players rated in the 90's and the other two ranging from low to high 80's...now their secondary outside of Polamalu and Taylor is a complete mess LOL

Try practice mode using the Steelers D and see if you can tell a difference.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 12:30 AM   #56

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Brasi
Franklin wasn't any good for you? Wow im actually suprised to hear that. I wonder why? No, the Steelers dont run the 46. Just straight up 3-4 with various sets, nickel they have the 3-3-5, 2-4-5 and 1-5-5.

I'm not dissing the Niners D because god knows the Steelers D had issues IRL lol, but the more that im reading these various topics, maybe players weight and ratings truly make a difference in this game because truthfully ive primarily only used the Steelers. You have to figure the Steelers DL has two guys in the low 90's and their LB's have 2 players rated in the 90's and the other two ranging from low to high 80's...now their secondary outside of Polamalu and Taylor is a complete mess LOL

Try practice mode using the Steelers D and see if you can tell a difference.
Its funny because as you break down your team, its the same as mine. Ive got a 90+ at NT, a 90+ at DE, 2 90+ at LB and a pretty decent secondary with Nate Clements, Antonio Cromartie and Michael Lewis. I dont find personel to be my problem but at the same time Im not sure what it is either. Im going to try some things out and see what happens though.

Side question, do you find yourself getting a majority of your sacks in the 1-5-5? I only ask since thats the one formation you have that the Niners dont have in their playbook.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »