Home

3-4 Personnel Importantance

This is a discussion on 3-4 Personnel Importantance within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:13 AM   #57
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: 3-4 Personnel Importantance

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Its funny because as you break down your team, its the same as mine. Ive got a 90+ at NT, a 90+ at DE, 2 90+ at LB and a pretty decent secondary with Nate Clements, Antonio Cromartie and Michael Lewis. I dont find personel to be my problem but at the same time Im not sure what it is either. Im going to try some things out and see what happens though.

Side question, do you find yourself getting a majority of your sacks in the 1-5-5? I only ask since thats the one formation you have that the Niners dont have in their playbook.

I'd say most of the sacks ive gotten have been split between the 2-4-5 and 1-5-5 only because i mainly use those D's for obvious passing downs. Though i have been getting a suprisingly decent amount of sacks from my base 3-4 D plays OLB stud spy, pinch (Timmons is a beast in this play for me) and 2 deep mlb spy.

Has anyone else using the Steelers D playbook found any other decent passrush plays from the other 3-4 sets?
Old 01-14-2010, 01:25 AM   #58
Rookie

OVR: 3

In my 3-4 defence I have:
D-Linemen: glenn Dorsey, pat sims, and jerron gilbert.
OLB: Larry English, Ayers(from Denver)
ILB: Barrett ruud, taveres gooden.
CB: aquib Talib and malcom Jenkins.
FS: Jackson(tampa)
SS: mcfadden(rookie)

Sacks: English(17), ayers(9), pat sims(8), Gilbert(7), gooden(6), ruud(6), mcfadden(5), Dorsey(5), jenkins(2), Jackson(3), talib(2).
Old 01-14-2010, 01:29 AM   #59

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by colombian9kid
In my 3-4 defence I have:
D-Linemen: glenn Dorsey, pat sims, and jerron gilbert.
OLB: Larry English, Ayers(from Denver)
ILB: Barrett ruud, taveres gooden.
CB: aquib Talib and malcom Jenkins.
FS: Jackson(tampa)
SS: mcfadden(rookie)

Sacks: English(17), ayers(9), pat sims(8), Gilbert(7), gooden(6), ruud(6), mcfadden(5), Dorsey(5), jenkins(2), Jackson(3), talib(2).
Strange, everybody seems to be getting great production from their OLB's in the sack department and yet Ive got Shawne Merriman and Manny Lawson and neither one can get any pressure. Im clueless at this point, I must be doing something wrong but Im not sure what it is yet. I dont do a lot of formation subs putting OLB's at DE so maybe thats it but otherwise Im out of ideas at this point.
Old 01-14-2010, 01:37 AM   #60
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Strange, everybody seems to be getting great production from their OLB's in the sack department and yet Ive got Shawne Merriman and Manny Lawson and neither one can get any pressure. Im clueless at this point, I must be doing something wrong but Im not sure what it is yet. I dont do a lot of formation subs putting OLB's at DE so maybe thats it but otherwise Im out of ideas at this point.

I do flip Woodley and Harrison at times...not always but just sometimes and im not ashamed to say i do either because they do it IRL..as well as blitz them from the same side of the field. I also will sometimes manually shift Timmons to an edge because again, LeBeau does it IRL

Certain line shifts help as well.
Old 01-14-2010, 09:05 AM   #61
MVP

OVR: 55

Sting pinch zone is the standard top 3-4 blitz. The twist blitzes can work if you fake blitz a hook zone OLB to occupy an OT.

M - I - N - N - E - S - O - T - A
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 11:50 AM   #62
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:

I don't get a ton of sacks from my OLBs either. My DL gets the sacks, but I think my LBs help because they prevent "double teams" or passing bodies (where one OL lets the DL win only to go to the guy next to him and the OL that just lost blocks someone else). Instead, it's a lot of 1-on-1 situations so any loss hurts and lets my line in for a possible sack.

My corners get more sacks than my LBs. I like to keep a fast NB/DB for blitz purposes. Last year in my franchise, that's what I used Fabian Washington for, and I re-signed him just for that purpose. I did draft a "hybrid" DE/OLB type player (he's fast, tackles well, decent BSH and good AWR - but struggles in coverage) so I might try some of this with him, although his OVR drops to 60 in an OLB depth chart, but since when did OVR mean anything.

I don't think Suggs (who's gone now after seen his RIDICULOUS contract) and Jarret Johnson are great block shedders either. I know Suggs was in the 70's, despite his high moves - and had 1 sack all year.
Old 01-14-2010, 12:19 PM   #63
2022 Clark Cup Champions!

Instant C1a55ic's Arena

OVR: 20

Quote:
Originally Posted by ymd
No. The game doesn't recognize a true 3-4 DT like Vince Wilfork to freaken a 4-3 DT in Hareem Brock. Or a 3-4 DE like Richard Seymour to a 4-3 DE like Freeney. Mainly because they can't get the most important part of football in there, blocking and double-team blocking!
So no, put whoever you want in there.
I disagree. I just finished a 20 year chise with the broncos, and my first year i drafted Ndamukong Suh and he absolutely ate HB's for breakfast in the 3-4. Not to mention having him paired with DJ Williams and Gary Guyton i was always top 10 in run defense until Suh retired.

To me its all about personal.
MLB - Toronto Blue Jays 56-45
NHL - Colorado Avalanche 2022 STANLEY CUP CHAMPIONS
United States Hockey League - Sioux City Musketeers
2022 Clark Cup Champions
Old 01-14-2010, 01:23 PM   #64

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Brasi
I do flip Woodley and Harrison at times...not always but just sometimes and im not ashamed to say i do either because they do it IRL..as well as blitz them from the same side of the field. I also will sometimes manually shift Timmons to an edge because again, LeBeau does it IRL

Certain line shifts help as well.
Played two games last night in hopes of seeing some imporovement. In my first game against Dallas I got decent pressure but finished with only 1 sack and that was with Wilfork and it was more of a coverage sack then anything else. After the game I checked team stats though and noticed they were #1 in sacks allowed only giving up 7 sacks total in 5 games. Next game was against Tampa Bay and I had 3 sacks that game and 2 of those were from Merriman so I finally got some pressure. I started moving guys around more, flipped Willis and would blitz Willis and Merriman at the same time so that helped a ton as well. I would have had atleast a few more sacks if it wasnt for the CPU's ability to throw the ball mere seconds before you drag him down, which is driving me nuts as I will get there and just as Im hitting him he will throw it into the ground.

Anyways, thanks for the tips guys and hopefully my success from the Tampa Bay game continues throughout the rest of my season.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »