Home

3-4 Personnel Importantance

This is a discussion on 3-4 Personnel Importantance within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 01-14-2010, 01:58 PM   #65
Banned

OVR: 6
Re: 3-4 Personnel Importantance

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chef
Played two games last night in hopes of seeing some imporovement. In my first game against Dallas I got decent pressure but finished with only 1 sack and that was with Wilfork and it was more of a coverage sack then anything else. After the game I checked team stats though and noticed they were #1 in sacks allowed only giving up 7 sacks total in 5 games. Next game was against Tampa Bay and I had 3 sacks that game and 2 of those were from Merriman so I finally got some pressure. I started moving guys around more, flipped Willis and would blitz Willis and Merriman at the same time so that helped a ton as well. I would have had atleast a few more sacks if it wasnt for the CPU's ability to throw the ball mere seconds before you drag him down, which is driving me nuts as I will get there and just as Im hitting him he will throw it into the ground.

Anyways, thanks for the tips guys and hopefully my success from the Tampa Bay game continues throughout the rest of my season.
Yeah like i said im by no means a guru in knowing how to set up blitzes etc etc but shifting your DL and pinching and moving your LB's into gaps certainly helps. Also certain QB's are harder to sack than others which is REALISTIC.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 02:38 PM   #66

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luca Brasi
Yeah like i said im by no means a guru in knowing how to set up blitzes etc etc but shifting your DL and pinching and moving your LB's into gaps certainly helps. Also certain QB's are harder to sack than others which is REALISTIC.
Agree but when Josh Johnson is avoiding rushers like Tom Brady and getting rid of the ball just as hes getting hit over and over again, I gotta call bull****. Ohh well, Im having a good enough time that I will keep at it. Im 5-1 and in first but my record is somewhat misleading as Ive yet to play a team with a winning record and it took a missed chipshot FG from Seattle and a TD in OT to actually get that win. Im stuck in a quandry right now, Ive got Shawne Merriman, Antonio Cromartie and Vernon Davis all up for free agency at the end of the year and all of them want max, 6 year contracts. Cromartie already has 3 returns for TD's, Merriman just had 2 sacks and is playing well and Vernon Davis is an absolute stud who is the cornerstone of my offense. If I sign them all then Im in real trouble down the road but if I dont then Im basically renting them for a season so its a tough call. Thankfully Patrick Willis and Vincent Wilfork are locked up or this would be REALLY tough.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:36 PM   #67
Rookie

OVR: 3
Re: 3-4

I converted the Raiders to a 3-4 principally because I had cap problems and good LB are far cheaper than even sucky DT/DE.

Sending different numbers of players does affect sack totals some, but as has been mentioned, because there are no double teams, you don't get as many sacks as you would think.

But you do get favorable results depending on the quarterbacks. If I send 5 against Tom Brady, I pay. If I send 5 against a bad QB, there are a lot of bad throws. And more sacks.

But mixing it up appears to lead to more misreading of coverage from what I can tell. I tend to mix the number of men rushing rather than switch between zone and man. (When you have Nnamdi Asomugha and Quan Henry, press man is the default coverage)

Also, moderate your expectations! The fact is that DT/NT do not get many sacks.

This year there was one DT/NT with 7 sacks, and another with 6, three with 5, and 3 with 4. (all these stats from www.profootballfocus.com)

The 4-3 DE with more than 10 sacks this year had 15, 14, 14, 13 and 12 sacks. 3-4 DE was capped at 9.

Brian Orakpo was the only 4-3 OLB with more than 6 sacks (he had 12). And 3-4 DE with more than 10 sacks had 17 14 and 12. That is 9 players with over 10 sacks in the NFL. So if your team does not have one, then it could just not be your player's year to get the really high total.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:01 PM   #68
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Agree but when Josh Johnson is avoiding rushers like Tom Brady and getting rid of the ball just as hes getting hit over and over again, I gotta call bull****.
Thats when I would look at adjusting your sliders.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #69
Banned

dfos81's Arena

OVR: 16

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexbraun
I disagree. I just finished a 20 year chise with the broncos
Can you really do 20yr franchises?
Old 01-14-2010, 04:08 PM   #70
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

OVR: 40

Quote:
Agree but when Josh Johnson is avoiding rushers like Tom Brady and getting rid of the ball just as hes getting hit over and over again, I gotta call bull****.

Agree with dfos81 here.

If anything, my D gets too many sacks against low AWR QBs like Johnson.

They hold the ball so long that my DL - even in a 3-man rush - has the time to get there one of them will bring him down.

Occasionally, the QB will run for some yards (sometimes big yards depending on the coverage I have called), but more often than not, a low AWR takes the sack, in my experience.
Old 01-14-2010, 04:26 PM   #71
Banned

OVR: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfos81
Thats when I would look at adjusting your sliders.

This. Adjust the human pass rush sliders and cpu's pass blocking to your liking. Im trying to find a realistic number of sacks...say somewhere from 45-55 or so for my entire team during a full season.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 01-14-2010, 04:28 PM   #72

The Chef's Arena

OVR: 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by KBLover
Agree with dfos81 here.

If anything, my D gets too many sacks against low AWR QBs like Johnson.

They hold the ball so long that my DL - even in a 3-man rush - has the time to get there one of them will bring him down.

Occasionally, the QB will run for some yards (sometimes big yards depending on the coverage I have called), but more often than not, a low AWR takes the sack, in my experience.
Well what slider might I alter that would effect this then? Im using Steeler99's sliders and having a decent time but it would be nice to play a bad QB/OL and actually get pressure without always coming up just short as they throw the ball right as Im about to sack them.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »