Home

Will every completed pass still require a tackle...

This is a discussion on Will every completed pass still require a tackle... within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
Replicating the Playoffs Experience in NBA 2K24
TopSpin 2K25 Review - A Winning Return for the Series
Out Of The Park Baseball 25 Review: An Impressively Deep Managerial Experience

Old 02-09-2010, 05:43 PM   #9
Banned

OVR: 0
Re: Will every completed pass still require a tackle...

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBzrule
I'm on the other side of the fence with the accuracy issue. Check out this pass from my online franchise. Watch Clayton beat the jam and make his way across the field and watch this dumb a$$ pass. The thing is Flacco does it EVERY game in my online franchise. I will have guys wide open and he will always and I mean always overthrow them. To me, that's stupid. I can understand once or twice, but if you can't make that pass to a wide open guy and there is no pressure, what are you doing in the nfl?
Heh...

It's like you haven't watched any Raven games this season...
Old 02-09-2010, 05:46 PM   #10
Hall Of Fame

OVR: 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by jayhawker
Heh...

It's like you haven't watched any Raven games this season...
I've watched all of them and he's nowhere near this bad EVERY game.
Old 02-09-2010, 10:22 PM   #11
Pro

OVR: 7

Quote:
I've watched all of them and he's nowhere near this bad EVERY game.
right...Flacco is pretty good
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-09-2010, 11:28 PM   #12
Hall Of Fame

KBLover's Arena

Quote:
I'm on the other side of the fence with the accuracy issue. Check out this pass from my online franchise. Watch Clayton beat the jam and make his way across the field and watch this dumb a$$ pass. The thing is Flacco does it EVERY game in my online franchise. I will have guys wide open and he will always and I mean always overthrow them. To me, that's stupid. I can understand once or twice, but if you can't make that pass to a wide open guy and there is no pressure, what are you doing in the nfl? Anyways, here it is,
*watches highlight*

Whaa...?

How the heck...and why didn't the WR at least try for it? Oh, it's Clayton. Nevermind.

J/k - I say that just because Clayton drops more balls for me for some reason. It got so bad I dropped off the depth chart...and off the team in the offseason.

But yeah, that was a really bad pass and equally bad effort from Clayton.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:18 AM   #13
Banned

OVR: 17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hova57
get rid of that dumb shoestring tackle

Lol...not only are they dumb, but they yield the same exact results every time, their's absolutely no variety in it and to boot, ....we have to hear a car crashing shoulder pad crunching sound effect associated to it, which makes no sense whatsoever

On another note,

LBzrule actually touched on a deep underlying problem in this game when he mentions that Flacco will almost routinely, on cue, throw that errent pass over the middle that is no where near the receiver. I dont think this is a result of just Flacco, but I think every QB will throw that same exact errent pass, the same exact way but with just different percentages.

One of the main problems with the Madden engine (and this seems to be the same problem thru all of EA's sports titles, NHL and NBA Live as well) is that the animations feel too scripted to trigger certain events at certain times. Rather than using real algorithms based on positioning, physics, trajectories and ratings, it seems like the action is simply using basic formulas to do "X" this many times and do "Y" this many times

If Offensive Lineman XXXXXXXX has a rating of YY and Defensive Lineman XXXXXX has a rating of YY then trigger successful spin 26% of the time if player spins

While Im sure this isnt the exact way the formula is designed, it just seems like its this simplified. That is why Madden becomes such a routine and bleh game after you have played several games. It no longer feels fresh and new each time. Every team you play with, regardless of the different player ratings, you start to see the same exact plays unfold when running plays.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen the same exact shoe string stumbling tackle made by the Middle LB covering the TE running a crossing route over the middle or the split end that gets upended in this overly dramatic flip to lose the ball when running a 15 yard crossing pattern.

Or the infamous DT or blitzing LB that defies all physics, ratings and odds to make a charging B-Line to the QB to force him to either get that ragdoll swinging sack or that overly rediculously scripted 3 yard wabble pass to the ground.

Come on guys, you know what Im talking about. Just throw a post route or a sideline fly patter just once or twice and you'll see how every single deep play ends up one of 2 ways....Usually with the safety converging on the ball at exactly the right time to end up with this colliding car crash sound effect break up of the play

Ian, needs to get his animation team and designers in a room together and simpy rework the engine to take more physics, trajectories, and real ratings into account to determine results rather than running these simple If-Then Triggered events

Gameplay is becoming very stale and lacks immersiveness and an organic dynamic feel.

2K Sports may have some of the stiffest robot like animations in sports BUT their use of incorporating better physics and ratings into their gameplay far exceeds EA. NBA 2K, NFL 2K and NHL games all are superior in creating a more immersive and dynamic experience that requires real strategies to succeed.

I want Madden to take their gameplay to that level
Old 02-10-2010, 09:32 AM   #14
MVP

nuckles2k2's Arena

OVR: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lisa_Bonami
Lol...not only are they dumb, but they yield the same exact results every time, their's absolutely no variety in it and to boot, ....we have to hear a car crashing shoulder pad crunching sound effect associated to it, which makes no sense whatsoever

On another note,

LBzrule actually touched on a deep underlying problem in this game when he mentions that Flacco will almost routinely, on cue, throw that errent pass over the middle that is no where near the receiver. I dont think this is a result of just Flacco, but I think every QB will throw that same exact errent pass, the same exact way but with just different percentages.

One of the main problems with the Madden engine (and this seems to be the same problem thru all of EA's sports titles, NHL and NBA Live as well) is that the animations feel too scripted to trigger certain events at certain times. Rather than using real algorithms based on positioning, physics, trajectories and ratings, it seems like the action is simply using basic formulas to do "X" this many times and do "Y" this many times

If Offensive Lineman XXXXXXXX has a rating of YY and Defensive Lineman XXXXXX has a rating of YY then trigger successful spin 26% of the time if player spins

While Im sure this isnt the exact way the formula is designed, it just seems like its this simplified. That is why Madden becomes such a routine and bleh game after you have played several games. It no longer feels fresh and new each time. Every team you play with, regardless of the different player ratings, you start to see the same exact plays unfold when running plays.

I can't tell you how many times I have seen the same exact shoe string stumbling tackle made by the Middle LB covering the TE running a crossing route over the middle or the split end that gets upended in this overly dramatic flip to lose the ball when running a 15 yard crossing pattern.

Or the infamous DT or blitzing LB that defies all physics, ratings and odds to make a charging B-Line to the QB to force him to either get that ragdoll swinging sack or that overly rediculously scripted 3 yard wabble pass to the ground.

Come on guys, you know what Im talking about. Just throw a post route or a sideline fly patter just once or twice and you'll see how every single deep play ends up one of 2 ways....Usually with the safety converging on the ball at exactly the right time to end up with this colliding car crash sound effect break up of the play

Ian, needs to get his animation team and designers in a room together and simpy rework the engine to take more physics, trajectories, and real ratings into account to determine results rather than running these simple If-Then Triggered events

Gameplay is becoming very stale and lacks immersiveness and an organic dynamic feel.

2K Sports may have some of the stiffest robot like animations in sports BUT their use of incorporating better physics and ratings into their gameplay far exceeds EA. NBA 2K, NFL 2K and NHL games all are superior in creating a more immersive and dynamic experience that requires real strategies to succeed.

I want Madden to take their gameplay to that level
I agree with the majority of what you wrote. I'm praying that they incorporate the PhysX engine in Madden 11 to help with some of this, but even that can only fix a limited number of things. We just need the devs to have the attention to detail that we see around here, and I think we're in good hands with Ian being at the helm...it'll just take some time.

Edit: J-E-T-S JETS JETS JETS!!!! lol

Last edited by nuckles2k2; 02-10-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:50 AM   #15
Hall Of Fame

I mean it gets to the point where you are basically hand tied. In two player games you ideally understand that you have some limitations to work with. Ok fine. However, when you are doing everything right in those limitations and the game just decides that you are not going to make this pass, what else can you do? There is another route that I get open on a consistent basis and Flacco ALWAYS misses the damn man. ALWAYs. And I just sit there and take a deep breath.

I'm not into throwing and slamming controllers. My rational side kicks in and says, recession, controller = 65 dollars. When you do everything right; when you know how your opponent is trying to defend you and you call plays that should exploit the coverage; you get what you want; you know what is going to be open even before you snap the ball and then this crap happens, man it takes a lot to just shrug your shoulders and say ohh well.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 02-10-2010, 12:26 PM   #16
MVP

OVR: 21

I said WAAAAAY back before Madden 2010 launched that they should NOT implement that random bad pass BS but the "SIMS" debated "its realistic, its realistic, it happens in real life."

NOOOOO not as often as it does in THIS game. Especially when there is no apparent reason why the QB should be throwing the ball that bad. No pressure, not scrambling, feet are set....BAM dumb azz pass. I am glad to see it happen to LBZrule when I am playing him(keeps me in the game ) but overall its a bad way to implement QB inaccuracy. They need to take a long hard look at what 2K8 did to distinguish QB's and build on that.

Also Safteys playing the deep middle make up TOO much ground on passes to the left/right deep half of the field...or is it the ball gets down field too slow ?

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »