Home

Will the new Strategy Pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11?

This is a discussion on Will the new Strategy Pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11? within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?
View Poll Results: Will the strategy pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11?
Yes, I may not buy the game now due to this change 82 35.34%
No, this will not affect my purchasing decision 150 64.66%
Voters: 232. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-29-2010, 12:57 PM   #81
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51
Re: Will the new Strategy Pad possibly keep you from buying Madden 11?

You call it hyperbole, I call it a reasonable explanation of how I feel. I also call the original statements by Sausage, yourself and others who say "it's not a big deal, just learn the new pad" a gross over-simplification and incomplete and misleading argument put forth to counter those who dislike the new scheme.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 12:59 PM   #82
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
Originally Posted by ODogg
bkrich - I apologize but I have no way of reaching a million users of every walk of life to conduct a poll so OS here will have to do. And yes I'm aware OS isn't the typical user, but I do know from my own experience many typical users and they also will find fault with this strategy pad just like myself IMO.
You missed the point. You tried to use the results of this poll as a "This is bad news for EA". When in fact it isn't. This S-Pad's overall affect on general Madden Sales will be next to nil, at most.

Quote:
As for the 48 not buying, my money would be at least half don't if this isn't patched. Or if they do end up with the game they may pirate it or buy it used just to stick it to EA due to this. I can definitely see it affecting their sales, as I said, I've never seen such an uproar about one single feature in a demo as this one has generated.
I don't buy it. People who are that in to the game, will buy it no matter what. The addition of a different pre-snap control scheme won't change their mind, no matter what outrageous things they post here about not buying, rioting, boycotting,suing, etc.

This is probably the single dumbest thing I have seen people get this upset about. It truly boggles the mind.

The funny thing is most of the people complaining are the same people who scream "realism" and "sim" at every chance they get, and are now made they can't make 20 unrealistic pre-snap adjustments every play.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #83
Need A Life

bkrich83's Arena

OVR: 64

Quote:
You call it hyperbole, I call it a reasonable explanation of how I feel. I also call the original statements by Sausage, yourself and others who say "it's not a big deal, just learn the new pad" a gross over-simplification and incomplete and misleading argument put forth to counter those who dislike the new scheme.
Disliking is one thing. The ridiculous terms you use to describe it, bring it to a level it's simply not at. Hence the hyperbole. Given the posters, not surprising.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:00 PM   #84
Banned

OVR: 10

I like the pad better than having to press "X" before having to playmaker a defender. I've always loathed having to do that.

Personally I think they should jus tgo back to the PS2 method of doing all playmakers, it was simple, intuitive and fast.

But with tha tsaid, the strat pad is going to be pretty good and fast once we don't have to think aout what direction to press anymore.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:09 PM   #85
Hall Of Fame

ODogg's Arena

OVR: 51

bkrich - I've never seen a poll so upset about one feature, right or wrong. EA reads these forums, even if the poll makes no difference to them the severity of criticism and number of posts about it should. I agree this will make very little dent in sales for Madden 11, it's in Madden 12 we will see the change in if it's not fixed. As for you calling my explanation ridiculous, that's your opinion but I thought I explained it pretty well. Pity those of us who are able to express ourselves well, I guess we're the hyperbole gang, LOL.

They change the control scheme and people get upset about it and you call that "the dumbest thing ever"? Anytime a control scheme is changed usually it's gradual or the old scheme is left to transition users over who don't wish to use the new scheme. It's because changing a control scheme is a huge deal and users complaining about it is not dumb at all, right or wrong, everyone should be able to have an opinion on how to control their game.

Jets123 - It won't be pretty good and fast because it's laggy and requires extra button presses. I memorized hot routes and how to do them on the strategy pad in my first game but still found that inputting them required hitting buttons, waiting and sometimes the controller simply didn't register it because I was pressing the buttons too quickly. Not to mention having to press the extra button each time to "activate" the menu. Why they added that I have no idea, it's such a terrible design choice. But bottom line, it's not about memorizing the new scheme that is the issue here.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 07-29-2010, 01:12 PM   #86
Banned

OVR: 10

Quote:
Jets123 - It won't be pretty good and fast because it's laggy and requires extra button presses. I memorized hot routes and how to do them on the strategy pad in my first game but still found that inputting them required hitting buttons, waiting and sometimes the controller simply didn't register it because I was pressing the buttons too quickly. Not to mention having to press the extra button each time to "activate" the menu. Why they added that I have no idea, it's such a terrible design choice. But bottom line, it's not about memorizing the new scheme that is the issue here.
Interesting. I was VERY concerned when I read all the complaints about it before I got home to try it out myself... my main concern was that it would be laggy, but was very relieved to find that, at least on my end, it was VERY responsive...

So, I can totally see the issues if it was laggy but for me its performing great, so I don't know what to say about that.

Either way, the issue is that they went away from the PS2 method which was simply perfect, and I don't know why they did that.

My assumption with the strat pad is that it was done to try to eliminate the ability to setup nanos, but obviously that's the wrong approach.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:19 PM   #87
Live Action, please?

jfsolo's Arena

OVR: 20

I'm not getting Madden because of the lack of Franchise mode improvements, so I'm not going to experience the Strategy pad this year at all, but after seeing the controls listed in the thread here I'm convinced that after a day or so I would have it totally down and never look back.

I'm not seeing where its anymore complicated or involved then before. Its just different. Before I might go, "RB, down" followed by a "LB, left." Now it would be "Right, down" "Left, Left". 4 seconds either way.

I'm just wondering what I'm missing.

Do this today: Instead of $%*#!@& on a game you're not going to play or movie you're not going to watch, say something good about a piece of media you're excited about.

Do the same thing tomorrow. And the next. Now do it forever.
Old 07-29-2010, 01:27 PM   #88
Rookie

OVR: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkrich83
You missed the point. You tried to use the results of this poll as a "This is bad news for EA". When in fact it isn't. This S-Pad's overall affect on general Madden Sales will be next to nil, at most.

I don't buy it. People who are that in to the game, will buy it no matter what. The addition of a different pre-snap control scheme won't change their mind, no matter what outrageous things they post here about not buying, rioting, boycotting,suing, etc.
i dont think this is true. i think several may skip it and go with NCAA, or like myself go with the PS2 version unless strat pad is patched. for me, it could be the greatest madden ever, but ill never know because i cant get past hating the controls

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »