Home

madden should take notes from nba 2k11

This is a discussion on madden should take notes from nba 2k11 within the Madden NFL Old Gen forums.

Go Back   Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen
MLB The Show 24 Review: Another Solid Hit for the Series
New Star GP Review: Old-School Arcade Fun
Where Are Our College Basketball Video Game Rumors?

Old 10-18-2010, 03:20 PM   #17
MVP

BezO's Arena

OVR: 20
Re: madden should take notes from nba 2k11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mbalmer
I don't think the development team is handcuffed when it comes to lack of consecutive hit tackles or getting franchise mode to make some sort of overhaul.
Depends how you look at it. If the execs/marketing insist on additions/changes that consume most of the development time, sure, it could bump tackles & franchise off the priority list.

I think it's more about the overall design of the game. From CDs and observation, I get the impression the game is built in a very rigid way. The simplest things seem to be a big chore to change/fix. Hopefully they can address this at some point or we'll never get a realistic game of football. Way too many baby steps.
Old 10-18-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

It really would not take much to make the offline franchise guys happy again. I can just speak for myself I guess.

Just take a look at Madden 2005/07 and take a look at NFL Head Coach 2009. The solutions are right in front of them staring at them in the face. Give me a bunch of those great franchsie features back from Madden 2005/07 and enhance the GM/Owner mode with the great stuff in NFL head Coach 2009 and I will be a pig in ****.

The gameplay is something that I think is not the bigest problem. Most of us who are actually having a lot of fun with the game have worked hard with sliders and gameplans and I can say this is one of the best playing Madden games in it's long history. No question I am having a lot of fun with this years game. I have not played Madden this much since 2007 for PS2.

Presentation needs an overhaul. That needs to be focused on. They made some great strides but need to really polish and focus on a true Sunday NFL expereince. I want to feel like I am watching Fox, or CBS or NBC or NFL Network or ESPN...anyone take your pick.

Just try a little harder on those area's and I think Madden will be a winner legacy issues be dammed.

I have been playing this game for over 20 years. I know it's shortcomings, I just want the immersion and window dressing to be on par with an NFL2K5 and all will be right in Football gaming at least for me.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-18-2010, 03:59 PM   #19
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armor & Sword
Just take a look at Madden 2005/07 and take a look at NFL Head Coach 2009. The solutions are right in front of them staring at them in the face. Give me a bunch of those great franchsie features back from Madden 2005/07 and enhance the GM/Owner mode with the great stuff in NFL head Coach 2009 and I will be a pig in ****.
EA reps have stated this is their goal, at least the NFL Head Coach features. But they also stated that adding these features is a major task.

Quote:
The gameplay is something that I think is not the bigest problem. Most of us who are actually having a lot of fun with the game have worked hard with sliders and gameplans and I can say this is one of the best playing Madden games in it's long history. No question I am having a lot of fun with this years game. I have not played Madden this much since 2007 for PS2.
This excludes many though. The online crowd can't rely on sliders.

I don't play online, but personally, sliders can't fix what I think is wrong with this game. I think this crowd is bigger than most think.

Quote:
I have been playing this game for over 20 years. I know it's shortcomings, I just want the immersion and window dressing to be on par with an NFL2K5 and all will be right in Football gaming at least for me.
I think this has been their problem. They're trying to improve the game without touching the fundamentals of football. We're still playing Madden '05 with window dressing. I don't think much can be done building on the old foundation.
Old 10-18-2010, 04:20 PM   #20
The Lama

Armor and Sword's Arena

OVR: 0

Quote:
Originally Posted by BezO
EA reps have stated this is their goal, at least the NFL Head Coach features. But they also stated that adding these features is a major task.

This excludes many though. The online crowd can't rely on sliders.

I don't play online, but personally, sliders can't fix what I think is wrong with this game. I think this crowd is bigger than most think.

I think this has been their problem. They're trying to improve the game without touching the fundamentals of football. We're still playing Madden '05 with window dressing. I don't think much can be done building on the old foundation.

Well after 20 years of playing I have already (I know it sucks) have accepted the fact they have not changed the core engine. And again I loved 2005 (as well as NFL2K5 of course) and all I ever thought was on the new generation it will look a lot better (and it does) but they will have more cpu space to immerse us even more in franchise mode, but the opposite happened. They dumbed it down really bad. That is such a bummer for me and plenty of others around here.

AS far as online, there is no excuse for them not to have sliders for online franchise next year. NCAA 2011 has them (and wow it's great) and it is absoulutly needed. And of course the Franchise Server issues (not getting into that here). I feel for the online franchise players ( I am still struggling to hang onto my one league with the server issues) and hope they help this mode...but I am very skeptical they will after the last interview I read with Ian Cummings.

As far as adding the NFL Head Coach features. This is where I hope we see the commitment of EA Tiburon and EA itself. I have to say if I don't see a drastic upgrade to this mode I may well have purchased my last copy of John Madden Football till it gets done if ever. I have bought every version starting with the original Sega Genesis cart through 2011. The only times I did not buy it were 2006 and 2008. So I am a diehard Maddenite.
Rise of the Ronin (PS5)
Star Wars Battlefront I and II Remastered (PS5)

Follow me on Twitch
https://www.twitch.tv/armorandsword
Follow me on Twitter
https://twitter.com/ArmorAndSword23
Old 10-18-2010, 04:45 PM   #21
MVP

statum71's Arena

OVR: 61

At this point, the NCAA franchise model would be an upgrade in Madden.

At least there's something to help immerse you into the season.
  • The pictures taken in-game that you can save and stick it to the story.
  • The different sections of the website-like front page of the franchise
  • Each controlled team has multiple storylines each week
There's more. I'm not saying NCAA's franchise can't use some improvements. But at this point...even that would be an upgrade in Madden.
Advertisements - Register to remove
Old 10-18-2010, 05:09 PM   #22
MVP

BezO's Arena

Quote:
Well after 20 years of playing I have already (I know it sucks) have accepted the fact they have not changed the core engine. And again I loved 2005 (as well as NFL2K5 of course) and all I ever thought was on the new generation it will look a lot better (and it does) but they will have more cpu space to immerse us even more in franchise mode, but the opposite happened. They dumbed it down really bad. That is such a bummer for me and plenty of others around here.
If you dig the game outside of franchise mode, great. EA is on pace to produce the game you love. All indications are franchise mode is next on the list.

But I think more folks feel like this...
Quote:
Originally Posted by celg35
...The reason being is that madden doesnt feel right. I am constantly changing sliders in madden to make it play true to life. It is still herky jerky at times and the the game still has too many madden moments.
I believe a lot of folks just feel something is off. There are a few here that really talk about the FOOTBALL that's missing from Madden. But I see more of what I feel are misguided complaints & suggestions.

IMO, there's so much football missing that no one can replicate what they see on tv. Folks point to sliders, stats, scores, ease of this or that. I believe many miss the real issue. The fundamental elements of football(and physics) are just not there.

I believe sliders are to control difficulty/results. Neither are THE problem for Madden. The animations, AI & physics are just not designed with the NFL in mind. There are too many common animations missing, and the existing animations lack effort. The AI is not based on what NFL players react to or key on. And the physics are just not realistic. It all ruins the spacing & timing of the football experience.

Last edited by BezO; 10-18-2010 at 05:12 PM.
Old 10-18-2010, 05:34 PM   #23
Pro

carnalnirvana's Arena

OVR: 21

if madden had any kind of player tendencies i think it could pass as an nfl somewhat simulation. i look at how different Qb's played yeaturday and there are distinct differences which madden never captures. how shaub went to his main guy late madden could never replicate this.

alot of people focus on physics which is kool but how about the thing that makes football football. the need to get big plays from your star players on offense down the field.... in madden every player has the same importance and role on offense and D. in a perfect world aka pee wee football thats true however in the nfl guys force their stars to make more plays.....

this is where 2 game like 2k shines. i personally believe nba 2k11 lacks any type of physics due to the warping and morphing etc however when the players behave so spot on and score and position themselves like they do in the nba it does not even matter if the ball goes through my hand on blocks lol

madden however can play better if rated better, but i already see if they rated guys realistically the casuals would riot.

i mean a common example of why madden appears to have broken physics is look at miles austin. the dude is rated better than most RB's why does a WR have the same ratings as a RB and we act surprise when he throws off a DT while while stiff arming a LB. Even certain CB's have RB ratings wow

yes madden is not BB but with the wayyyyy exaggerated ratings at skilled positions no wonder broken moments occur.

#18 greatest EVA....
Old 10-18-2010, 05:45 PM   #24
KG
Welcome Back

KG's Arena

OVR: 35

Agreed carnialvara. There isn't enough "uniqueness" there for me. Players don't perform like their real life counterparts and that should be the standard for ALL professional games.

« Operation Sports Forums > Football > Madden NFL Football > Madden NFL Old Gen »